Ad hominem attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Ad hominem attacks
I know this is an old thread and I'm resurrecting it because I've noticed that I'm starting to struggle this as I traverse into atheism.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...em-Attacks

I feel I run across more threads where we (and yes, I'm saying I do it also) simply attack a person and not their belief.

Example:

Christian: I believe God created the earth in six days, it says so here in the bible.
Non-believer: You are a fucking retard. That is is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life, written by nitwits who had no fucking clue how the world worked. If you still believe that shit you need your head examined or I need to hit you with a hammer to knock some sense in you. Fucking nobhead!

This approach really bothers me and from what I have seen can cause theists to burrow in their beliefs even more so because of the attacks.

Why do we so often resort to this? Is it because of frustration from dealing with the same arguments over and over again? Do we feel superior to theists because we think we've got our shit figured out?

I'm curious....

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
RE: Ad hominem attacks
Naw...

Basically we're just pricks....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
I think frustration has something to do with it.
Also atheism doesn't make people immune to being assholes.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
(07-07-2015 02:32 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I know this is an old thread and I'm resurrecting it because I've noticed that I'm starting to struggle this as I traverse into atheism.

I feel I run across more threads where we (and yes, I'm saying I do it also) simply attack a person and not their belief.

Example:

Christian: I believe God created the earth in six days, it says so here in the bible.
Non-believer: You are a fucking retard. That is is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life, written by nitwits who had no fucking clue how the world worked. If you still believe that shit you need your head examined or I need to hit you with a hammer to knock some sense in you. Fucking nobhead!

This approach really bothers me and from what I have seen can cause theists to burrow in their beliefs even more so because of the attacks.

Why do we so often resort to this? Is it because of frustration from dealing with the same arguments over and over again? Do we feel superior to theists because we think we've got our shit figured out?

I'm curious....

I don't like this either. Simply because it is not productive and hence pointless.

We do have free speech here, so ad hominems are allowed.

I think it happens because people have to repress their comments a lot in real life and this is a way to vent.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
07-07-2015, 02:47 PM
(07-07-2015 02:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 02:32 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I know this is an old thread and I'm resurrecting it because I've noticed that I'm starting to struggle this as I traverse into atheism.

Example:

I'm curious....

I don't like this either. Simply because it is not productive and hence pointless.

We do have free speech here, so ad hominems are allowed.

I think it happens because people have to repress their comments a lot in real life and this is a way to vent.

This is something I had not thought about. I can see the correlation....

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
07-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Example:

I'm curious....

Example would be more realistic if believer would have started with bullshit about hell I think. Such approach is indeed countrproductive and simply rude, but I don't care if theist who hear it would cling more to his delusion.

As for why frustration could be the case, also atheist could be a jerk. However at some point such answer could be fitting as there is no point in arguing with one who is indoctrinated.

About feeling superior, don't know about the others but for me it's rather pity than something else. If I would be subjected to indoctrination then I probably would spout nonsense like this; I was not, but others weren't so lucky. So it's not superiority but pity as it's not (entirelly?) believer fault. However to be honest sometimes I can help but feel superior, but it takes extreme religious idiocy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-07-2015, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 05:13 PM by Mr Woof.)
The tendency to be right is endemic, though by realising this we can try to keep to the topic.IMAO
07-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Example:

I'm curious....

Some of us have been at this a very long time. Some Xians are worth discussing theism with. Most though who I have seen here have simply come to troll. This is not a religious site. I came here so I could talk to atheists. I recognise when discussion is worthy and when it is not. I am 51 years into atheism. And I have been fighting for reason since I was 16 years old.

When I see a theist who actually wants to discuss religion I can go into bible mode very seriously and very quickly. I studied the damned thing for that specific purpose. However, I only do this when it is worth my time. Thus far at this site I have not had to do this very often and when I have it turned out it was trolls.

Often atheists will join religious sites in order to speak reason. They also do it to troll. Mostly they get banned pretty quickly.

The secular web had a site that was decent some years ago but they would ban me for pointing out certain historical facts that may have upset the religious. The best way to go about this is in person. I have converted two Catholic priests to atheism. Sadly I no longer have the strength.

If you are struggling with atheism, all I can say is read the bible in full. It is pretty obvious how idiotic it is. How utterly alien to reality it is. If you still struggle with atheism after that, perhaps choose another religion. One less harmful to humanity.

If a theist really wants to debate, bring it. If a troll wants to simply annoy, get out.

Learn to tell the difference by observing others with far more experience.

35 years I have been at this. 35 years!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Ad hominem attacks
I loved your reply Banjo.

Personally I am not struggling with atheism. I'm about 95% sure to stay. Ieave a 5% chance brand new evidence surfaces to change my mind but I doubt it will.

I just have trouble with the way some atheist treat others. You're response answers my questions of why, for you, and was exactly the discussion I was attempting to invoke with this thread.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
07-07-2015, 06:48 PM
(07-07-2015 02:32 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Is it because of frustration from dealing with the same arguments over and over again?

My experience has been that that is a major factor. It also doesn't help that the arguments are usually so thin and I know the person spouting them wouldn't accept them for any other claim. "It says so in the Hindu scriptures" would invoke questions of how we could know those were true but "It says so in the bible" is just accepted even though they likely haven't questioned that at all (or even read it in many cases).

Quote:Do we feel superior to theists because we think we've got our shit figured out?

Not superior, just frustrated. As Matt Dillahunty often says, he didn't get smarter when he dropped his belief, he just applied critical thinking skills to it. Most theists aren't stupid, just blinded, and it is hard to understand why they can't see the special box they have placed their religion in that can never be opened.

I don't think the insults are the best way to start off, but sometimes that's all that left.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post