Ad hominem attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: Ad hominem attacks
(08-07-2015 10:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 10:48 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  He's over at AF.org being an asshole.

I don't even know what that is. I suppose I should find out. But who has the time?

I checked and it is about getting jobs in Afghanistan???

Jobs in Afghanistan.

atheistforums.org

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-07-2015, 11:19 AM
(08-07-2015 11:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Try this:

Atheist Forums

Thanks mate. Looks a bit confusing. But it is now 3.18 am here and I am tired. Will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers. Dale.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-07-2015, 11:21 AM
(08-07-2015 11:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 11:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Try this:

Atheist Forums

Thanks mate. Looks a bit confusing. But it is now 3.18 am here and I am tired. Will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers. Dale.

AF and TTA have a lot of shared members and overall get along pretty well.

I like a lot of the people over there, and do like to visit now and then, but this is my forum home. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-07-2015, 11:28 AM
(08-07-2015 11:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 11:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thanks mate. Looks a bit confusing. But it is now 3.18 am here and I am tired. Will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers. Dale.

AF and TTA have a lot of shared members and overall get along pretty well.

I like a lot of the people over there, and do like to visit now and then, but this is my forum home. Big Grin

Okay, your word is as good as gold. I will give it a serious look over. But really I only have the effort to focus on one forum. I have even left the musician forums I was once so prominent on.

I can no longer find the strength to help strangers with their drum technique or how to relate to the rhythm section. I find it such an effort now.

This forum is pretty easy on me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
08-07-2015, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 02:57 PM by 7R0MM3L.)
(07-07-2015 02:32 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I feel I run across more threads where we (and yes, I'm saying I do it also) simply attack a person and not their belief.
This approach really bothers me and from what I have seen can cause theists to burrow in their beliefs even more so because of the attacks.

Why do we so often resort to this? Is it because of frustration from dealing with the same arguments over and over again? Do we feel superior to theists because we think we've got our shit figured out?

I'm curious....

Arrogance is an easy trap to fall into, & I type this knowing I can be just as captivated by it. I am happy to report, however, that I have been able, so far, to avoid its snares during my debates with theists; to be fair none of those debates have been the kind that make a person go crazy from enduring that special brand of self-imposed ignorance (you know what I'm talking about).Censored

Personally, I have found the easiest route for avoiding any misunderstandings, & the subsequent "ass hat" label, is to make simple observations during the discussion. If the person uses words that convey belief, then I can either let it go- if it just doesn't matter- or challenge the belief; making sure to use the word "belief" in my challenge. Where I feel every person has an obligation, however, is when terminology that conveys knowledge is abused; then any person has the responsibility to ask, "how do you know that?" Consider

These simple considerations seem to help, myself at least, keep the distinction between beliefs about reality, versus knowledge of facts of reality in the forefront of both the debating brains.
[+] 2 users Like 7R0MM3L's post
08-07-2015, 05:48 PM
(08-07-2015 02:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  (I can't believe Whiskey let me down, there)

Hey now to be fair I get along with the vast majority of people here and if you read the first exchanges I've had with the people I currently don't I'm almost always polite(ish), even to people like WC, Call_of_the_wild, Woofs or that absolute nutjob LaramieHirsch, until they start out and out lying or begin deliberately misrepresenting facts or other peoples positions. I have a low tolerance for stupid and zero tolerance for dishonesty.

The people on my shit list all put themselves there, I'm not some raging monster. So you take it back or I'll give you the worst charlie horse, the absolute worst, you goddamn.....fucking.....uh...nipple fairy!

(goddamnit)

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
08-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Quote:Okay, your word is as good as gold. I will give it a serious look over.

Don't forget to shit on pops when you're there!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-07-2015, 11:00 PM
(08-07-2015 05:48 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  the..is..t ... nutjob
lying ... stupid ... people ... shit ... themselves

Thumbsup

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-07-2015, 02:36 AM
(08-07-2015 08:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Okay, your word is as good as gold. I will give it a serious look over.

Don't forget to shit on pops when you're there!

Okay! Wink

[Image: anigif_enhanced-buzz-7962-1368809919-2.gif]

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-07-2015, 03:38 AM
I react to people... If a theist (or anyone) makes some loony statement it matters a lot how they make it. If they say "slfljkdsgrlnkjnsdgljkdfg and you're all perverts and going to hell, Jesus the Lord told me", then I think it's fair to tell them to go fuck themselves. If they're nice then I play nice, just like Whiskey. But if they play nice and later show their prickery then it's only right to kick 'em when they're down.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post