Adam and Eve

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: Adam and Eve
(08-01-2016 05:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:52 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Wasn't the apple supposed to give the knowledge of good and evil? Why would god give free will without any knowledge of what was good or bad.

They did know the difference between right/wrong after eating the fruit (which most scholars think was actually a pomegranate not an apple-the type of fruit isn't actually mentioned in the story). Before eating the fruit, A and E were naked and unaware of their nakedness--after they ate the fruit, they became aware of their nakedness and were ashamed. So the eating of the fruit provided them the ability to know good and evil, right and wrong.

Makes a neat story of why people wear clothes. As in the stories about how tigers got their stripes and other kids' fairy tales
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
08-01-2016, 06:05 PM
(08-01-2016 05:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  So they got free will and no knowledge of how to use it?

So here's what happened.

1) God makes Adam and Eve. Neither Adam nor Eve have a clue what Adam was supposed to do with his cock. God gives them free will and Eve chooses to go to the serpent and it shows her what Adam is supposed to do with his cock.
2) Adam & Eve are kicked out of the Garden of Eden by the jelly landlord Angels who have neither cocks nor cunts.
3) Fast forward to the knowledge of good and evil leads to the questioning of the very existence of God.
4) Fast forward even more and the knowledge of good and evil leads to neuroscience questioning the very existence of free will. And that's where were at.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-01-2016, 06:08 PM
(08-01-2016 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  So they got free will and no knowledge of how to use it?

So here's what happened.

1) God makes Adam and Eve. Neither Adam nor Eve have a clue what Adam was supposed to do with his cock. God gives them free will and Eve chooses to go to the serpent and it shows her what Adam is supposed to do with his cock.
2) Adam & Eve are kicked out of the Garden of Eden by the jelly landlord Angels who have neither cocks nor cunts.
3) Fast forward to the knowledge of good and evil leads to the questioning of the very existence of God.
4) Fast forward even more and the knowledge of good and evil leads to neuroscience questioning the very existence of free will. And that's where were at.

Laugh out load I wish they told this version in church!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-01-2016, 06:16 PM
(08-01-2016 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

So here's what happened.

I was being sarcastical. Smile
08-01-2016, 06:22 PM
(08-01-2016 05:19 PM)Zen Wrote:  Why did God give Adam and Eve the option to take the apple? Why did he give them the free will to commit a 'sin'?
It makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense. An ancient culture trying to make sense of chaos and order, with the knowledge they had at the time. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

What makes no sense is how ignorant religious Fundamentalists hijacked ancient literature, ascribed meanings to it, it never intended, for their own cults and uses.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-01-2016, 06:27 PM
(08-01-2016 06:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So here's what happened.

I was being sarcastical. Smile

I wasn't. ... cue pablo

#sigh
08-01-2016, 06:38 PM
(08-01-2016 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 06:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  I was being sarcastical. Smile

I wasn't. ... cue pablo

I got nuthin'.
08-01-2016, 06:50 PM
(08-01-2016 06:38 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I wasn't. ... cue pablo

I got nuthin'.

And I was so hoping to respond with "My work here is done!" Weeping

"I was just foolin' about."
"I wasn't."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-01-2016, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 04:40 AM by Stevil.)
(08-01-2016 05:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:52 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Wasn't the apple supposed to give the knowledge of good and evil? Why would god give free will without any knowledge of what was good or bad.

They did know the difference between right/wrong after eating the fruit (which most scholars think was actually a pomegranate not an apple-the type of fruit isn't actually mentioned in the story). Before eating the fruit, A and E were naked and unaware of their nakedness--after they ate the fruit, they became aware of their nakedness and were ashamed. So the eating of the fruit provided them the ability to know good and evil, right and wrong.
So.....

If they had no knowledge of right and wrong before eating the fruit then...

How can they be held "morally" accountable for eating the damn fruit?
The god said not to, but so what? They have no idea that it is bad to disobey the god.

God then throws a tanty...

It would be like me putting a cake next to an ant trail. Me telling the ants not to eat the cake, me going away (pretending to hide, because I am omnipresent) and then "coming back", pretending to be upset (because my omniescence, I knew of course, by putting the cake there that the ants would eat it) and then in my "anger" me banishing the ants.

A rational person would have thought I should have been angry at myself for being stupid enough to leave the cake near the ants.
The ant had no idea that it was "wrong" to eat the cake. They had no idea that they had a moral obligation not to eat it.

The garden of Eden story is stupid.
[+] 6 users Like Stevil's post
09-01-2016, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 09:12 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-01-2016 05:37 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:19 PM)Zen Wrote:  Why did God give Adam and Eve the option to take the apple? Why did he give them the free will to commit a 'sin'?
It makes no sense.

Because life outside the garden had to be their choice. Like you said, free will.

It's still a bum deal. Our moral culpability is limited by our understanding, and by withholding the 'knowledge of good & evil' from Adam and Evil, god was hampering their understanding. Thus it can be argued that they shouldn't be held accountable for the transgression of eating from the Tree of Knowledge, because god hadn't properly equipped them to understand why they shouldn't do such an action (just why was disobeying god wrong, and how were they supposed to know that?). Their transgression was his failing, not their's; and yet he punishes them for it.

There's no better illustration in the Bible that questioning authority and obtaining knowledge are to be avoided in favor of blind obedience and ignorance. Such a useful tool for controlling an ignorant and illiterate society, wouldn't you agree?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post