Adam lived how long!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Adam lived how long!?
So, I'm reading the Bible wholly for the first time (this is my -nth attempt, lol. I've never made it past Genesis but I think I can make it this time using the Skeptics Annotated Bible).

Anyways, I ran into the "begats" of Adam. I know that the oldest living person we have recorded to be 122 years. But is it at least possible for someone to live up to 500 years. I mean, wouldn't cells just start to die and stuff (bones breaking, etc.)

I ran into a creationsist site and it said that in those times diseases and illnesses weren't widespread as they are now, allowing people to live longer. This sounds like bs to me. what are your opinions on the issue?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 10:02 PM
RE: Adam lived how long!?
There was no Adam. There was no Moses. There is no reason to address this.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like WillHopp's post
08-04-2015, 10:09 PM
(08-04-2015 10:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  There was no Adam. There was no Moses. There is no reason to address this.

I love you!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Right back atcha Mom. Hug

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
08-04-2015, 10:42 PM
(08-04-2015 10:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  There was no Adam. There was no Moses. There is no reason to address this.

And there was no jesus or mohammed.

Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard were real, however.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-04-2015, 10:58 PM
(08-04-2015 10:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

And there was no jesus or mohammed.

Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard were real, however.

Real charlatans.

----
09-04-2015, 01:27 AM
(08-04-2015 09:49 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  So, I'm reading the Bible wholly for the first time (this is my -nth attempt, lol. I've never made it past Genesis but I think I can make it this time using the Skeptics Annotated Bible).

Anyways, I ran into the "begats" of Adam. I know that the oldest living person we have recorded to be 122 years. But is it at least possible for someone to live up to 500 years. I mean, wouldn't cells just start to die and stuff (bones breaking, etc.)

I ran into a creationsist site and it said that in those times diseases and illnesses weren't widespread as they are now, allowing people to live longer. This sounds like bs to me. what are your opinions on the issue?

Nope. Either there were NO diseases or illnesses or there were. There are no fossils of humans or any other species which demonstrate any such ages, and we know dinosaurs got cancers. The word "Adam" came from the "sublime world of the light" from Hebrew thought :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-04-2015, 02:19 AM
With magic, or just making stuff up, anything is possible!

I heard Adam lived to about 900 or something. I think the idea of people living much longer in the past is another attempt by christianity to make us feel we're inferior and have ruined everything, so we feel shame and seek redemption.

Considering it was meant to be just 6000 years ago and we evolved from Adam and stuff, no this is next to impossible.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 03:33 AM
(09-04-2015 02:19 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  no this is next to impossible.

Or you could say it's the stuff of fairy tales.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
09-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Look to any primitive society - with no medicine, no doctors, and not a toothbrush to be found.

An "old" guy in the tribe? Anybody with white hair. Say in your 40's.

Ancient? -- Maybe 60's.

Any claims of 900 years old - is just bullshit -- made up to impress the gullible.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.