Adam lived how long!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 04:55 AM
RE: Adam lived how long!?
I remember when I was reading that at some bible study thing as a kid in Junior High, I said to myself. Oh this is nonsense, maybe they meant like Months by the way they say years, now that actually would make sense....

No, it's just nonsense made up that doesn't need to be justified because it was a simple way to draw out time by them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 06:28 AM
(09-04-2015 01:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 09:49 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  So, I'm reading the Bible wholly for the first time (this is my -nth attempt, lol. I've never made it past Genesis but I think I can make it this time using the Skeptics Annotated Bible).

Anyways, I ran into the "begats" of Adam. I know that the oldest living person we have recorded to be 122 years. But is it at least possible for someone to live up to 500 years. I mean, wouldn't cells just start to die and stuff (bones breaking, etc.)

I ran into a creationsist site and it said that in those times diseases and illnesses weren't widespread as they are now, allowing people to live longer. This sounds like bs to me. what are your opinions on the issue?

Nope. Either there were NO diseases or illnesses or there were. There are no fossils of humans or any other species which demonstrate any such ages, and we know dinosaurs got cancers. The word "Adam" came from the "sublime world of the light" from Hebrew thought :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Yep, if creationists are going to make such claims, then they are going to run into the buzzsaw of science. There is zero evidence of anyone ever living much past 100 years. There is an abundance of evidence of people living short, disease-ridden lives.

Natufian Culture, debunking creation myths

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-04-2015, 07:26 AM
It's all to do with the practice of deifying one's ancestors. Many cultures had legends of early kings living for tens of thousands of years, clocking up something like half a million between them. Sort of pisses all over Adam and Methuselah, doesn't it? As the historical timeline approaches contemporary and living memory, so the lifespans drop proportionately to human normal.

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2015, 11:39 AM
By Creationist logic the earth is only around 6000 old.

Plenty of skeletons from that far back. Not one of them show signs or indications of extreme old age.Facepalm
11-04-2015, 12:21 PM
I always assumed they didn't think of a year the same in those ancient texts. I always kinda figured it was really a month. Or they counted differently -- not really in years but that was lost in translation along the way.

At 500 or so months Adam would have lived to about 41 or so. Noah would have been in his 70s

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-04-2015, 12:32 PM
(11-04-2015 12:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I always assumed they didn't think of a year the same in those ancient texts. I always kinda figured it was really a month. Or they counted differently -- not really in years but that was lost in translation along the way.

At 500 or so months Adam would have lived to about 41 or so. Noah would have been in his 70s

Ya mean like how we calculate 'dog years'?

Maybe that's it - a dyslexic scribe wrote god instead of dog.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
(11-04-2015 12:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I always assumed they didn't think of a year the same in those ancient texts. I always kinda figured it was really a month. Or they counted differently -- not really in years but that was lost in translation along the way.

Ah, but if that were true, then creationists would have to redo their math yet again and the earth would be like 4K years old. Christ, I have an uncle THAT old!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Young earth creationists "explain" this by saying that Adam was created perfect, and that since god saw that it was good when he got done creating stuff that means there was no disease, no poisonous critters, no nothing bad! But Adam sinned, so god allowed some bad stuff in which meant Adam eventually had to die. And since humans kept on sinning, God kept making their lives shorter and shorter. Of course, life spans have actually increased over history, so we're either sinning less or the whole thing is BS. Take your pick.
12-05-2015, 01:15 AM
(08-04-2015 09:49 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  So, I'm reading the Bible wholly for the first time (this is my -nth attempt, lol. I've never made it past Genesis but I think I can make it this time using the Skeptics Annotated Bible).

Anyways, I ran into the "begats" of Adam. I know that the oldest living person we have recorded to be 122 years. But is it at least possible for someone to live up to 500 years. I mean, wouldn't cells just start to die and stuff (bones breaking, etc.)

I ran into a creationsist site and it said that in those times diseases and illnesses weren't widespread as they are now, allowing people to live longer. This sounds like bs to me. what are your opinions on the issue?

It's just myth. Alulim from "Sumerian King List" reigned for 28 800 years and En-men-lu-ana reigned for 43 200 years. However it is not popular, so nobody takes it seriously, as is the case with biblical nonsense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-05-2015, 02:17 AM
(09-04-2015 06:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 01:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nope. Either there were NO diseases or illnesses or there were. There are no fossils of humans or any other species which demonstrate any such ages, and we know dinosaurs got cancers. The word "Adam" came from the "sublime world of the light" from Hebrew thought :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Yep, if creationists are going to make such claims, then they are going to run into the buzzsaw of science. There is zero evidence of anyone ever living much past 100 years. There is an abundance of evidence of people living short, disease-ridden lives.

Natufian Culture, debunking creation myths

The Buzzsaw of Science... Brilliant!

Can I use that one in the future?