Add Your Detrimental Bible Verse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Add Your Detrimental Bible Verse
Forgive me if this may seem rash. As a somewhat-new agnostic, I find that displaying Scriptures for scrutiny very liberating. I just need to vent. Drinking Beverage

I think one the most detrimental Bible verses is Proverbs 3:5:

Quote: Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. -KJV
Personally, this passage sort of frightens me. It seems like a passage that could be used to justify just about anything a religious authority figure could expose to a child. I fear the detrimental potentiality of terror within this verse.

Another verse that I find equally potentially detrimental to humanity is the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:19:
Quote: Go ye, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. -KJB
With my skeptical eyes, I read this and think about its implications. Maybe there exists a child prodigy, who might one day cure cancer or AIDS. Instead of developing his mind, he decides, under pressure from this verse, to abandon his dreams of practicing medicine in order to "... baptize them" into the name of God.

Join the venting if you need to. Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like PeacefulSkeptic's post
21-07-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: Add Your Detrimental Bible Verse
This begs the question: Detrimental to whom or what? Society, individuals, all life forms, the planet?

I'll go for the doctrine of selfishness:

Matty 6:34 - "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

When I was still being dragged along to church, at the age of 6 or 7, I recall wondering why Jesus, if he was such a nice guy, wanted little children to suffer ... Matty 19:14 "But Jesus said, Suffer little children..."

I realise now that the suffering of children is more of his dad's department.

Thanks be to the gods.

21-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:This begs the question: Detrimental to whom or what? Society, individuals, all life forms, the planet?
I think that all of these categories can be affected. Although, it seems obvious that society and individuals are mainly impacted, whereas all life forms and the environment are probably secondarily affected through the societies and individuals.
21-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:1 Corinthians 2:16 -
"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Romans 11:34 - "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"

These verses encourage the idea that God's mind is unknowable and his commandments outside of logical reasoning. However, there are nice bible verses. My favorite:

Quote:1 Peter 3:15-16 - But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

The important part is the second sentence. Someone who believes in God but is unwilling to defend their faith through argument and debate is someone who isn't familiar with this verse.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
22-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Isaiah 55:8-9:
Quote:"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. "

Can just see some priest writing this in response to some annoying little brat who wouldn't stop asking questions...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Detrimental to what? Like that if thine eye offend thee crap? Mine eye keeps roving towards them dang Gwynnies... Evil_monster

...and why is this a creationism thread?

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 03:47 AM
(22-07-2012 02:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Detrimental to what? Like that if thine eye offend thee crap? Mine eye keeps roving towards them dang Gwynnies... Evil_monster

...and why is this a creationism thread?
Detrimental in the sense that the verse can potentially cause someone to go against their own reasoning or their own sense of morality, etc.

I didn't know what else to put this under, haha.