Addicted To Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: Addicted To Jesus
(14-02-2013 04:26 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Can't say I was addicted to religion but I was addicted to the idea that there is a benevolent being that cared, loved and gave me purpose. That random crap had meaning....even if I didn't understand it.
Mom, it was pretty much the same for me. Weirdest thing? Now the idea that it is all random is my biggest comfort. Suddenly everything makes sense - the suffering, the injustice, the pain. I'm sure I've said it before, but still - the thought that any being capable of preventing the astounding amount of suffering in the world (and I'm not even talking only about humans), is able to just sit idly by and let it happen, is much harder to get to grips with, than the idea that it is all random.

The universe is not evil. It is neither malevolent or benevolent. It just is. Personally, I find immense comfort in this.

Yep, I completely agree! I appreciate more that life has to offer because of the randomness. Instead of wracking my brain trying to understand the "why" or the "message" god wanted me to know. I can now, simply sit back and say without fear...shit happens and tomorrow will be different. Not maybe better, not worse...but different.

Not too long ago, I realized when something potentially stressful was going on, I didn't or hadn't reverted to prayer -- what was really odd, the thought didn't cross my mind -- until long not too long after the 'event' had passed! Everything was fine without "asking" for it to be. It emboldened me and gave me pause. Somehow, it made me feel healthy.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-02-2013, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 05:14 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(14-02-2013 02:57 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Thanks for your posts. I've been trying lately to think about or hypothesize about what it would be like to be deconverted. I know it would be hard to imagine because of my current bias but your mind/heart struggle or addiction is very interesting.
Thank you.

That's honest, and big of you. I don't know you very well, but you've instantly earned some respect from me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
14-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey onedream,

It's good to have you on the side of reason( I will not say reality because we can't know that). I completely understand that addiction, mine was similar, but it was for a different reason. I felt fear of hell. Hell was an especially hard thing for me to shake off because I thought that I would burn if I didn't believe. It still is one thing I think about when I am in my "Philosophical/ Religous" classes.

Then I realized that Hell was bullshit and that even if it was real, it would be an honor to go against a terrible and tyrannical leader and stand by my morals and views. The afterlife is an important concept in the Religous addiction because it is their safety net. It is a "doubt stopper".

I hope you transcend, if I may use that word, the addiction and be an astute rational thinker.

I want you to keep us updated, you are in my prayers thoughts

-Steven

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
15-02-2013, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 05:33 AM by Mark Fulton.)
I think “God” is an easy answer for those who prefer not to have to think. Yet he takes your freedom and many solutions away. Belief in God is like smoking. It may satisfy a need, yet ultimately it’s toxic and harms you in many ways without you knowing it. It also harms your children.

Atheism is a rational, superior alternative to belief, yet requires effort. It’s harder than believing what you’ve been handed on a plate, yet those who put in the effort get the rewards.

To embrace atheism is cathartic! When people work out there's no god, they're not throwing anything away, but reclaiming their own selves back.They get to discover their own path to meaning and happiness. Any Christians brave enough to let go will no longer be under pressure from people who have an agenda. They’ll think more clearly, be less opinionated, more accepting of others, and gentler on themselves. They’ll come to the refreshing realization that their own intellect is as powerful as anyone else’s. They don’t need god, a bible or a preacher, because open mindedness, their own common sense and a neighbor’s helping hand are far superior. Cognitive dissonance will disappear, self-esteem improve, and they’ll find more real friends. It’s a powerful position to place oneself in.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-02-2013, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 02:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There are as many definitions of "god" as there are brains that *think* they mean the same thing when they use that word.
Religion is entirely a Neurological phenomenon. In-as-much as it's a convenient explanatory, (god of the gaps) habit, it might be an "addiction". It's more just a bad habit. Breaking any bad habit is not easy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Dagnammit!

This is very frustrating.

To think there is a drug I haven't tried.

I want me some of that. Where can I get me some?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Again, interesting. What are the cures for addictions that really work? How do you know when you have hit "religious bottom"?
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post
15-02-2013, 12:22 PM
(15-02-2013 11:32 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
How do you know when you have hit "religious bottom"?

There's gotta be a joke about pedophile priests in there somewhere.

Who wants a stab at it?

Edit: A stab at the joke, I mean, not the bottom.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2013, 12:24 PM

(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

Now I'm addicted to reason. And life makes so much more sense!!!!

What a sad, sad tale. What a tragedy. Maybe you have no love in your life. Maybe you've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe you're one of those autistic types that can't stand another human being in their personal space, but in case you are not, here's something to keep in mind: love doesn't make rational sense. In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.

You loved Christ, but now you've crapped on him. He was your guiding light, but now you call him a harmful addiction. Well, that's fine; that's your choice. It is one of only a handful of things we can truly freely do in this world. But you know what he said, "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father."

Now you're free to sin without conscience: what a great addiction reason is! Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 12:28 PM
"In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love. "

Again another religious making assertions, how about backing that statement up with some evidence?

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
[+] 1 user Likes StorMFront's post