Addicted To Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2013, 01:18 PM
RE: Addicted To Jesus
Quote:And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.
Love of man interceded against tyrants, preached good news, healed otherwise failed marriages, brought the abused to find compassion for their abusers, made detente, ended wars cold and hot... what is more precious than love?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 01:24 PM
(15-02-2013 01:18 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
what is more precious than love?

Huh

Boobs!

Silly bloody question.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-02-2013, 01:26 PM
(15-02-2013 01:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Boobs!
Yep, the really good ones can run you quite a lot. [Image: shh.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-02-2013, 01:47 PM
(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

Now I'm addicted to reason. And life makes so much more sense!!!!
That's very accurate I believe, at least according to my own experience. But what took you a few weeks, took me a few years. I successfully let go of Jesus after a few months, but I still clung to "spirituality" for years because of that very "thirst" you mentioned.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Do you think a response like this is one that will win someone over to your point of view?

Try love and not condescension. It works better.

(15-02-2013 12:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  What a sad, sad tale. What a tragedy. Maybe you have no love in your life. Maybe you've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe you're one of those autistic types that can't stand another human being in their personal space, but in case you are not, here's something to keep in mind: love doesn't make rational sense. In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.

You loved Christ, but now you've crapped on him. He was your guiding light, but now you call him a harmful addiction. Well, that's fine; that's your choice. It is one of only a handful of things we can truly freely do in this world. But you know what he said, "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father."

Now you're free to sin without conscience: what a great addiction reason is! Undecided
[+] 4 users Like onedream's post
15-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for reading.

(14-02-2013 02:57 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Thanks for your posts. I've been trying lately to think about or hypothesize about what it would be like to be deconverted. I know it would be hard to imagine because of my current bias but your mind/heart struggle or addiction is very interesting.
Thank you.
15-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Very kind of you. Thanks for the encouragement.

(14-02-2013 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 02:57 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Thanks for your posts. I've been trying lately to think about or hypothesize about what it would be like to be deconverted. I know it would be hard to imagine because of my current bias but your mind/heart struggle or addiction is very interesting.
Thank you.

I think you can get a very good idea reading the thread: Since I deconvereted from Christinanty to Atheism_____", I've seen your posts there so I know you may have already read them.

As an aside, if tomorrow you were to post here that you had a crisis of faith and were struggling with the emotions I would venture to guess that the only kind of response you would get from the great majority of people here would be sincere support.

Why? Because a vast majority of those on this forum, including myself, have gone through or are going through the emotional and intellectual process. Nothing easy about it since it doesn't just involve you but your family and friends.

I, for one, would not be celebrating your struggles or pain FWIW.
15-02-2013, 02:23 PM
'preciate ya.

(14-02-2013 04:20 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  Interesting, never been a believer, I dont think. I remember praying when I was a kid just dont remember believing I would get an answer back. I find it very interesting reading peoples deconversion stories. Thanks for this one.
15-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Once I came to the point where I realized that religion was crap and that there wasn't really a purpose for everything, I felt free. Like you, I feel that if there really IS no master plan...then that's a much more merciful universe to live in.

I can quit spending my time asking "why" and feeling confused and accept that...like you said...shit happens. The universe makes more sense when you realize there's not some guy watching with the power to change things who just won't do it.

(14-02-2013 04:26 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Can't say I was addicted to religion but I was addicted to the idea that there is a benevolent being that cared, loved and gave me purpose. That random crap had meaning....even if I didn't understand it.
Mom, it was pretty much the same for me. Weirdest thing? Now the idea that it is all random is my biggest comfort. Suddenly everything makes sense - the suffering, the injustice, the pain. I'm sure I've said it before, but still - the thought that any being capable of preventing the astounding amount of suffering in the world (and I'm not even talking only about humans), is able to just sit idly by and let it happen, is much harder to get to grips with, than the idea that it is all random.

The universe is not evil. It is neither malevolent nor benevolent. It just is. Personally, I find immense comfort in this.
15-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:Boobs!
You love them? Thanks for adding to my post. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post