Addicted To Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Addicted To Jesus
(15-02-2013 02:20 PM)onedream Wrote:  Do you think a response like this is one that will win someone over to your point of view?

Try love and not condescension. It works better.
Onedream, he's talking to himself, not to us. He is trying to assuage his own doubts, hoping that if he keeps shouting at the top of his voice, he won't hear them; hoping that if he repeats his ridiculous mantra ad nauseam (after all, this is Egor we're talking about, the one who puts nausea in nauseam), it'll somehow chase away the doubt and will magically make his mythology fact, not fiction.

Here, Egor, have a lozenge. All this strain must be wreaking havoc with your throat.

[Image: lozenges-make-your-own.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
15-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your kind words. The fear of Hell was huge for me as well. Then I thought "Any being who could create such a place for even his worst enemies MUST be evil himself." And why would I want to serve a dictator like that?

(14-02-2013 08:56 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hey onedream,

It's good to have you on the side of reason( I will not say reality because we can't know that). I completely understand that addiction, mine was similar, but it was for a different reason. I felt fear of hell. Hell was an especially hard thing for me to shake off because I thought that I would burn if I didn't believe. It still is one thing I think about when I am in my "Philosophical/ Religous" classes.

Then I realized that Hell was bullshit and that even if it was real, it would be an honor to go against a terrible and tyrannical leader and stand by my morals and views. The afterlife is an important concept in the Religous addiction because it is their safety net. It is a "doubt stopper".

I hope you transcend, if I may use that word, the addiction and be an astute rational thinker.

I want you to keep us updated, you are in my prayers thoughts

-Steven
15-02-2013, 02:32 PM
(15-02-2013 12:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

Now I'm addicted to reason. And life makes so much more sense!!!!

What a sad, sad tale. What a tragedy. Maybe you have no love in your life. Maybe you've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe you're one of those autistic types that can't stand another human being in their personal space, but in case you are not, here's something to keep in mind: love doesn't make rational sense. In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.

You loved Christ, but now you've crapped on him. He was your guiding light, but now you call him a harmful addiction. Well, that's fine; that's your choice. It is one of only a handful of things we can truly freely do in this world. But you know what he said, "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father."

Now you're free to sin without conscience: what a great addiction reason is! Undecided

Ah yes. The old "they must be atheists because they want to be free to sin" crap. That IS what Ed is so freightened of in himself. All the evil he would do, all the people he would kill, all the banks he would rob if he were not a believer. Now THAT is what is truely sad.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2013, 02:38 PM
(15-02-2013 02:20 PM)onedream Wrote:  Do you think a response like this is one that will win someone over to your point of view?

It's honest, too... and it feels good to be free and true to yourself. Yes

So, One... what will you do in celebration of this freedom?
Will you ... have a walk in a park? Enjoy a sunset? Appreciate the giddy, mighty power of sleeping in on a rainy day?

You could just do nothing... because just feeling free is entirely enough. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Great post.

(15-02-2013 05:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I think “God” is an easy answer for those who prefer not to have to think. Yet he takes your freedom and many solutions away. Belief in God is like smoking. It may satisfy a need, yet ultimately it’s toxic and harms you in many ways without you knowing it. It also harms your children.

Atheism is a rational, superior alternative to belief, yet requires effort. It’s harder than believing what you’ve been handed on a plate, yet those who put in the effort get the rewards.

To embrace atheism is cathartic! When people work out there's no god, they're not throwing anything away, but reclaiming their own selves back.They get to discover their own path to meaning and happiness. Any Christians brave enough to let go will no longer be under pressure from people who have an agenda. They’ll think more clearly, be less opinionated, more accepting of others, and gentler on themselves. They’ll come to the refreshing realization that their own intellect is as powerful as anyone else’s. They don’t need god, a bible or a preacher, because open mindedness, their own common sense and a neighbor’s helping hand are far superior. Cognitive dissonance will disappear, self-esteem improve, and they’ll find more real friends. It’s a powerful position to place oneself in.
[+] 1 user Likes onedream's post
15-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah. Releasing the notion that the Bible was flawed was easy. All I had to do was read it and THINK.

But the concept that we are merely temporal beings took me awhile.

(15-02-2013 01:47 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

Now I'm addicted to reason. And life makes so much more sense!!!!
That's very accurate I believe, at least according to my own experience. But what took you a few weeks, took me a few years. I successfully let go of Jesus after a few months, but I still clung to "spirituality" for years because of that very "thirst" you mentioned.
15-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Exactly.

I actually sin less now that I'm a non-believer.

I was a repressed, angry alcoholic before.

Now I see my children and my wife differently. I appreciate them for the brief gift they actually are.

And I treat them with more respect and grace now.

(15-02-2013 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ah yes. The old "they must be atheists because they want to be free to sin" crap. That IS what Ed is so freightened of in himself. All the evil he would do, all the people he would kill, all the banks he would rob if he were not a believer. Now THAT is what is truely sad.
15-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I think I'll enjoy my family and my life more thoroughly, knowing the odds of them and me being here are astronomical. =)

(15-02-2013 02:38 PM)kim Wrote:  

It's honest, too... and it feels good to be free and true to yourself. Yes

So, One... what will you do in celebration of this freedom?
Will you ... have a walk in a park? Enjoy a sunset? Appreciate the giddy, mighty power of sleeping in on a rainy day?

You could just do nothing... because just feeling free is entirely enough. Thumbsup
15-02-2013, 03:12 PM
(15-02-2013 12:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  What a sad, sad tale. What a tragedy. Maybe you have no love in your life. Maybe you've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe you're one of those autistic types that can't stand another human being in their personal space, but in case you are not, here's something to keep in mind: love doesn't make rational sense. In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.

I think that the fact love can come from us, originates from us, is held and treasured by us, is better than love being handed down from a being that is superior in everyway. I like to earn shit rather than have it given to me. I am not to sure about you, Edward.

PS just because we can explain love, doesn't make it NOT LOVE.

Love is a beautiful feeling, and having a naturalistic or rational explanation isn't diminishing that feeling. If it does, then I pity you.

By the way, Eddy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
15-02-2013, 03:22 PM
(15-02-2013 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ah yes. The old "they must be atheists because they want to be free to sin" crap. That IS what Ed is so freightened of in himself. All the evil he would do, all the people he would kill, all the banks he would rob if he were not a believer. Now THAT is what is truely sad.
I don't want to know what kind of immoral monster is hiding behind the thin veil of Egor's belief. Let's just hope that he'll never lose his faith.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post