Addicted To Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2013, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 03:48 PM by onedream.)
RE: Addicted To Jesus
I posted another thread that had Eric Hovind and Ray Comfort going on about how they'd be in jail if they weren't Christians because without Christ, they'd do whatever they wanted.

Someone mentioned that they didn't believe that Ray and Eric REALLY would go out to rape, murder, & steal if they didn't have Christ. After all, I didn't do those things BEFORE I became a Christian. Why would I do them AFTER I quit believing in God?

The logical fallacy that says "God necessarily equals a moral compass" clearly hasn't taken into effect Catholic child rape, religious genocide, Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart...etc...etc...etc...

Christ doesn't stop you from sinning. You sin grievously or not based on the type of person you are. Not the "God" you do or don't serve.

Can religion become a placebo that makes you change your thinking and, thus, your actions? Sure. Happens all the time. But it's not Jesus that delivers from sin. It's your brain, using the concept of a God as a springboard to do what your brain was capable of all along.

(15-02-2013 03:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(15-02-2013 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ah yes. The old "they must be atheists because they want to be free to sin" crap. That IS what Ed is so freightened of in himself. All the evil he would do, all the people he would kill, all the banks he would rob if he were not a believer. Now THAT is what is truely sad.
I don't want to know what kind of immoral monster is hiding behind the thin veil of Egor's belief. Let's just hope that he'll never lose his faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onedream's post
15-02-2013, 03:48 PM
(15-02-2013 12:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  Now you're free to sin without conscience: what a great addiction reason is! Undecided
Much like your claim that every atheist believes in god, you keep repeating this assertion without stating your reasoning behind it.

What sins do non-believers commit without conscience?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
15-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
16-02-2013, 10:27 PM
(15-02-2013 03:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  

Great video. Thanks.
16-02-2013, 10:45 PM
(15-02-2013 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-02-2013 12:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  What a sad, sad tale. What a tragedy. Maybe you have no love in your life. Maybe you've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe you're one of those autistic types that can't stand another human being in their personal space, but in case you are not, here's something to keep in mind: love doesn't make rational sense. In fact as soon as it does, it ceases to be love. And yet, there is little more powerful than the power of love.

You loved Christ, but now you've crapped on him. He was your guiding light, but now you call him a harmful addiction. Well, that's fine; that's your choice. It is one of only a handful of things we can truly freely do in this world. But you know what he said, "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father."

Now you're free to sin without conscience: what a great addiction reason is! Undecided

Ah yes. The old "they must be atheists because they want to be free to sin" crap. That IS what Ed is so freightened of in himself. All the evil he would do, all the people he would kill, all the banks he would rob if he were not a believer. Now THAT is what is truely sad.

Well thank goodness he does believe in false prophets and gods....otherwise can you just imagine the evil he'd do?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

16-02-2013, 10:48 PM
(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

Now I'm addicted to reason. And life makes so much more sense!!!!
Ya know, if AA can get away with telling you that you have no control over your addiction and you need a higher power, then we should be able to create our own "12 step" program to help people with religious addictions... except it would be more like 4 steps.

1. Realize that there is no god of any kind Consider
2. Quit crying like a pansy Weeping
3. Get up off your ass and make you own life betterClap
4. Declare me as you new lord and savior (optional) Worship Slaves

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like DeathsNotoriousAngel's post
16-02-2013, 11:10 PM
(14-02-2013 02:43 PM)onedream Wrote:  My biggest challenge in saying "Goodbye to God" happened during the deconversion process.

It took place during the period of time when I had mentally assented that religion was B.S., but my emotions were still "addicted" to a relationship with God. I remember typing a letter to my Mom and my Wife where I told them "I see no reason to keep believing. But I can't stop believing in my heart because my heart 'thirsts' for him." My mom took this as a good sign. "Once a believer, always a believer."

It was then that I realized that I was intellectually an Atheist. But I was emotionally still Theist. My heart still thirsted for him. I stopped and wondered "What IS this thirst?" I realized that it was most likely an emotional addiction to a chemical reaction my brain had developed in response to my belief. I was ADDICTED to religion. And though my mind fully acknowledged that religion is crap, my brain was still dependent on the "comfort" I received from my faith.

It was then that I realized that I must wean myself off of dependance upon this drug my mind was creating in response to faith. It took a few weeks. But I believe that I have become free of it within the last month. And boy, does it feel good. Faith is like a drug. And I was a junky.

It really feels like losing a loved one doesn't it? After posting here for the first time, I was so close to going back... ugh but it was the same reason as with you. I was addicted to Jesus. There was even a song about that when I was a tween. My mind had all the evidence, but it takes a lot of strength to let go of the emotional tie you once had to a supernatural "best friend." Glad that you have become addicted to reason!
[+] 2 users Like Flowergurl's post
22-02-2013, 12:07 AM
This has still been a problem for me. It's been three or four years since I separated from the church, but I still miss it at times. My church had a tight-knit congregation, and the idea of something more gave me comfort.

I tried to go back and it was too weird for me. I couldn't stop mentally objecting to the things my preacher said, and when they were praying I just sat there. Sometimes, when I'm in a deep depression, I wish I had a god to just wipe away my mental problems... but it's not there, and accepting that is the first step of being happy without lying to oneself.
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
22-02-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm addicted to Jesus' cooking...

[Image: Thank-you-Jesus....jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-02-2013, 03:23 PM
There IS a huge temptation to jump back in. But it's like realizing you're an alcoholic and going back to the alcohol.

You never are truly able to enjoy it, because you know it's harming you.

(16-02-2013 11:10 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  

It really feels like losing a loved one doesn't it? After posting here for the first time, I was so close to going back... ugh but it was the same reason as with you. I was addicted to Jesus. There was even a song about that when I was a tween. My mind had all the evidence, but it takes a lot of strength to let go of the emotional tie you once had to a supernatural "best friend." Glad that you have become addicted to reason!