Addiction and Health: Stopping the Madness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2014, 08:04 PM
RE: Addiction and Health: Stopping the Madness
I bought "Powerless No Longer" by Peter W. Soderman today. It's about conquering ones addictions under their own strength - from a non-believer's perspective.

At least now I'll be without legitimate excuse, and if I can't manage to kick it (or can't manage to care whether or not I kick it), it'll be my own fault.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
17-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Oh Miso, just stop. Get help.

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
17-08-2014, 08:33 PM
The thing about experience is that passing it on to others often doesn't work.
Sometimes people need to get these experiences on their own before they "get it".
This was the case for me, I thought I could figure it out before it got too out of hand.
The biggest problem with going out and getting your own life experience in cases like this, is that it can often kill you before you get a chance to learn anything from it.
They don't call it rock bottom for nothing.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
17-08-2014, 09:11 PM
(17-08-2014 08:33 PM)pablo Wrote:  The thing about experience is that passing it on to others often doesn't work.
Sometimes people need to get these experiences on their own before they "get it".
This was the case for me, I thought I could figure it out before it got too out of hand.
The biggest problem with going out and getting your own life experience in cases like this, is that it can often kill you before you get a chance to learn anything from it.

True words. Still, it's a better shot than no shot at all, right?

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
17-08-2014, 09:24 PM
(17-08-2014 09:11 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(17-08-2014 08:33 PM)pablo Wrote:  The thing about experience is that passing it on to others often doesn't work.

True words. Still, it's a better shot than no shot at all, right?

Why not take the best possible shot available? As others have mentioned, getting help greatly increases your chances of success. Asking for help now is better than begging for it later.
18-08-2014, 04:03 AM
It's possible to really fuck up your life to the point where you end up destitute. This life is all you have and you don't get to rewind and try again.

Use the resources that are available. This is why they exist. To help people in your situation.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
18-08-2014, 06:49 AM

True, but hearing others' experiences raises one's consciousness to recognition of the problem and offers paths to solution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2014, 06:59 AM
(18-08-2014 06:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  

True, but hearing others' experiences raises one's consciousness to recognition of the problem and offers paths to solution.

I agree, as long as "yea, but I'm not as bad as you were" thoughts don't seep into the mix and jam up any progress.
18-08-2014, 03:07 PM
(15-08-2014 02:39 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The only unfortunate and ever-pressing realization is that I know I'm too fucking stubborn to listen to anyone but myself.

I think we are all like that, truth be told. Knowledge often needs to be experiential to be meaningful to us personally.

Quote:I've always been that way. You guys give good and logical advice. Much of it based on years of experience. And yet, there's that shitty little part of me that simply will not give in because it doesn't want to. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that I have any sort of personality abnormality, but in the metaphorical sense, it's like I have another me living inside me, and he's gonna do what he damn well pleases and I feel powerless to stop him.

So GET TO KNOW HIM. don't push him away, actually invite him in.

Do it when you are sober - ask him what he wants? Ask him what he needs but is not getting. Ask these questions inwardly, and see if you can get any answers, and then do something about any insights that come back.

Alcohol is a suppression mechanism, in that it suppresses feelings of pain or discomfort. Suppressed feelings cause parts of ourselves (e.g. separate inner aspects of ourselves) to become split off from ourselves.

If you stop the alcohol, you'll need to be prepared to feel the unpleasant feelings that come up. You might have to do lots of crying, or processing of other challenging negative emotions.

Might be a bit dark and challenging to do though, just so you know. But just so you know, if you are prepared and able to work through them, you will come out the other side, intact and complete and joyful.

Phil
[+] 2 users Like phil.a's post
23-08-2014, 05:33 AM
*UPDATE*

Prior to last night, it's been a week since I drank. It seems to be a weekend thing; or at least that seems to be what my mind is viewing it as. This makes me think that down-time is making me more likely to turn to alcohol out of boredom(?) or something similar. Otherwise, keeping myself busy is helping a lot.

The GF still hasn't called, texted or visited, and I've still not been able to find my missing jar of give-a-fuck. It doesn't matter, really; I've got more pressing issues at hand. Not only do I suddenly have an influx of new clients but I'm also facing surgery in the next few months. Far too much to occupy my mind to let me sit and think about how shitty life has been and, in turn, make me want to drink.

Whatever works, right? Thumbsup