Addiction and Health: Stopping the Madness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 07:36 PM
RE: Addiction and Health: Stopping the Madness
Great post, impulse. I made a list a while back of things that drinking takes away from me. Goals I'd like to reach, but couldn't if I continued drinking the way I was. Scanning through it from time really helps.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
20-10-2014, 11:26 AM
That's great Smercury, not only that you did that, but that you obviously are disciplined enough to use it when you need to. Thumbsup

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
12-12-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 04:32 PM by Misanthropik.)
So, I haven't had a drink in approx. 2 months. I'm not sure, exactly. I've had drinks since my last post in this thread (4, at most - and I mean that literally), but nothing in a very long time. In fact, I've forgotten what it's like to be a drunk.

Instead, I've been taking Girly's advice by "getting off the grain and onto the green," if you catch my drift. It's been going ok. Not quite the same experience, but then, maybe that's a good thing.

I only provide this update now because, for the past two days, the cravings have come back and I've been thinking about it a lot more. Last night, I came very close to going out and buying a 6-pack, but I got blazed instead and it helped me forget that I was craving alcohol.

It also helps that my friends have become aware that I really don't want this problem anymore and they've become a good support network for me. (Which is weird, because all they do is drink when we get together) They remind me about my health and about the downward spiral that will be taken if I start drinking again. Then they start shoving all manner of herbal supplements in my face so that I stop thinking about alcohol. lol

As it stands, I don't know if I'll be drinking again anytime soon. At least I really hope not. When I used to think of alcohol, 99% of it would be the good feeling, and only 1% would be all the shit that comes with being drunk. Now, it's exactly the opposite. I would love to drink, but it's just more trouble than it's worth.

The only real issue I'm seeing now is that I've got a new woman in my life. Neither of us has any idea where our "relationship" could be headed, but for me, it's rough terrain either way. You all know how scared I am of feeling anything for someone, and with the details of our situation being what they are, I've got a whole new set of stresses when it comes to us. While it's fun to go on this journey, I also find myself wanting to go home at the end of the day and remove my mind from this reality. Pot helps, but it's not the same as alcohol. Alcohol just made me feel GOOD. Made me feel like a god. Like nothing mattered and everything was great because I was on top of the world. As great as the pot has been, it doesn't do that for me. The only real means of escape it provides is when I get so high that I can't think on a particular thought for too long before delving into something else. (Unless I concentrate, which sometimes happens by accident and can be a real problem if I happen to concentrate on the wrong thing) So, my favorite thing to do is get blitzed, then lay back and turn on my iPod so I get completely lost in the music. Then, I don't have to think. I just have to lay back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Alcohol would be preferable. And if I had the choice, I'd love to be able to drink without all the negative shit that comes with it. I'd do that in a fucking heartbeat. But I know, too, that doing so would only take me down another endless path of addiction, and that's not something I'm interested in doing. That's why, despite what I'd do if given such a hypothetical option, I'm not drinking, and don't care to drink. Not outside the realm of hypotheticals.

I guess we'll see where this goes from here. My interactions with this new chick are teaching me a lot about myself and it's becoming an exercise in self-control in a lot of ways. Emotionally, morally, socially, everything. I suppose the cravings are to be expected, but the fact that I haven't had anything to drink should say something. I've had some really dark days (I recently cried for the first time in fuck-knows-how-long), but I've still not touched a single drink.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
16-12-2014, 01:29 AM
You're doing great Hug good luck with your new lady friend!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
30-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Ask your doctor to look into baclofen for alcoholism. It's being researched in France and at U of Pennsylvania by a Dr. Childress. It has been approved for use in France and the U of Penn researchers are going to apply for FDA approval but it is now widely used off license and actually stops craving if you can get to the right dosage. It is also effective for anxiety depression. If you go to the Mywayout chat forum you will find lots of people who have used it.
30-01-2015, 02:41 PM
(30-01-2015 11:41 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Ask your doctor to look into baclofen for alcoholism. It's being researched in France and at U of Pennsylvania by a Dr. Childress. It has been approved for use in France and the U of Penn researchers are going to apply for FDA approval but it is now widely used off license and actually stops craving if you can get to the right dosage. It is also effective for anxiety depression. If you go to the Mywayout chat forum you will find lots of people who have used it.

Negs.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-01-2015, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 11:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-01-2015 02:41 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 11:41 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Ask your doctor to look into baclofen for alcoholism. It's being researched in France and at U of Pennsylvania by a Dr. Childress. It has been approved for use in France and the U of Penn researchers are going to apply for FDA approval but it is now widely used off license and actually stops craving if you can get to the right dosage. It is also effective for anxiety depression. If you go to the Mywayout chat forum you will find lots of people who have used it.

Negs.

Not a scheduled drug that US Customs is interested in. Never had a problem with Backy and customs. NIMH is just now starting clinical trials with Backy for alcoholism. I am an early adopter.

#sigh