Additions To The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Additions To The Bible?
If the bible is also a historical document as those that "thump" it believe, why is it not continually receiving additions?

It makes no sense to me that God would not want his creation to continue to document his divine presence and revelations. This also goes along with the question of why God has refused to reveal himself in nearly 2000 years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 11:49 PM
RE: Additions To The Bible?
Well arguing with the presupposition that the bible is true and a historical document, then one could say that the story of the bible is finished. It begins with man's fall from grace and ends with man's redemption. It's a complete narrative. In the same way that it would be silly to write a history of the roman empire after 1452.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
01-12-2014, 12:18 AM
(30-11-2014 04:49 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If the bible is also a historical document as those that "thump" it believe, why is it not continually receiving additions?

It makes no sense to me that God would not want his creation to continue to document his divine presence and revelations. This also goes along with the question of why God has refused to reveal himself in nearly 2000 years.

It's not getting additions. Those additions have always been in the bible. Think 1984, no matter what the changes are, it's always been that way.

It was just poorly translated before, NOW we have the REAL truth! Just don't ever go interpriting it wrong. Best to let someone else do it for you so you don't have to think....I mean make a mistake when you read it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
01-12-2014, 01:46 AM
(30-11-2014 04:49 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If the bible is also a historical document as those that "thump" it believe, why is it not continually receiving additions?

I'd say that it was a history and origin story of the Jews.

If I remember right, the Torah (the OT) was originally being written as a (largely mythical) history of the Jews written by two authors independently. However over time their writings were combined and added onto by various authors throughout the centuries for various reasons (political and religious mostly).

If I had to guess (and I do), I'd say that is where the 'the bible is a historical work' claim has its roots.

The NT, which culminated in the festering pile of literary incompetence we all know and love today, was a far-removed addition to the 'original' completed book and can hardly have been considered as a historical work when is was written.
With the NT 'shoved' into the Jew-book like a prayer at a US public meeting, the book was considered 'complete'. As Tarzan said; it had it's narrative end now.

Not to mention you have the equally powerful and contradictory position that the is the inerrant and unalterable word of god excluding it from being added too, even if it was still a book of history.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2014, 08:48 AM

It has gotten updates and revisions. Each time it happens, the people using the old texts pitch a fit about heresy. This is the exact story of the Mormons. The Bible stays as-is for 1,800 years, then Joseph Smith finds new additions in the wilderness when guided by an angel. Most people saw this as horseshit (while, ironically, not seeing Paul's revelation as horseshit, as well. Sigh.).
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-12-2014, 09:52 AM
(30-11-2014 11:49 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well arguing with the presupposition that the bible is true and a historical document, then one could say that the story of the bible is finished. It begins with man's fall from grace and ends with man's redemption. It's a complete narrative. In the same way that it would be silly to write a history of the roman empire after 1452.

Revelation? Isn't that the future? Your argument fails.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2014, 10:01 AM
(30-11-2014 11:49 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well arguing with the presupposition that the bible is true and a historical document, then one could say that the story of the bible is finished. It begins with man's fall from grace and ends with man's redemption. It's a complete narrative. In the same way that it would be silly to write a history of the roman empire after 1452.

The Hebrews had no word for "history", so "writing history" is not something that culture used their literature to do.

Matthew 5:18 "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished"

So "everything is accomplished" then if the "narrative is complete" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
(01-12-2014 09:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Revelation? Isn't that the future? Your argument fails.

Ever heard of an epilogue? In terms of narrative the story hits its climax with the resurrection and then acts and the letters form a falling action.
In terms of a historical narrative it is common, especially for contemporary histories, to include predictions about the future at the end of the history.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
(01-12-2014 10:18 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 09:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Revelation? Isn't that the future? Your argument fails.

Ever heard of an epilogue? In terms of narrative the story hits its climax with the resurrection and then acts and the letters form a falling action.
In terms of a historical narrative it is common, especially for contemporary histories, to include predictions about the future at the end of the history.

That is a narrative structure used in fiction, not history.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2014, 01:13 PM
(01-12-2014 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:18 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Ever heard of an epilogue? In terms of narrative the story hits its climax with the resurrection and then acts and the letters form a falling action.

That is a narrative structure used in fiction, not history.

Well considering that literature and history were much less district in ancient times it would make sense for it to follow literary forms.
Also as I mentioned epilogues and predictions are often part of modern day works of history.

- my friend Marc