Adjusting to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2010, 07:32 PM
RE: Adjusting to Atheism
One thing's for certain: death.
if you were born, you're gonna die.
No point in being scared 'cuz you can't escape it.
Maybe it will be like going to sleep with no dreams.
Who knows?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Some cultures did refer to death as a long sleep.

Or in cartoons/movies animals at certain pounds would get the "big sleep" if unadopted.
How arrogant we are about our own lives.

Just thought about something , in 100 years all but a few hundred people who are alive today will be dead. DAMN
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Try reading "The last answer" By Issac Asimov. It helped me with this same thing.
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM

(23-10-2010 07:54 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Some cultures did refer to death as a long sleep.

Or in cartoons/movies animals at certain pounds would get the "big sleep" if unadopted.
How arrogant we are about our own lives.

Just thought about something , in 100 years all but a few hundred people who are alive today will be dead. DAMN

Thanks, Captain Bringdown. Hahahaha.

Seriously, this is something I've wondered, as well. I'm in no hurry for death. I've come close a few times and it sucks. I am, however, okay with the mystery of it. To me, it's almost exciting. Like I said, I'm in no hurry.
02-11-2010, 05:41 AM
You can never experience the misery of death.
You can experience living and dying but not death ... :-p
As for life , let's enjoy it as much as we can.
07-11-2010, 10:53 AM

What happens after I die is something that I never thought of until I had kids. I started thinking of what their lives would be like when they are grandparents and great grandparents. Then I relized that I wouldn't be there to see any of it.
I tend to think about ceasing to exist many nights while falling asleep. I don't really like the thought regardless of how inevitable it is. I'd much prefer to be immortal or change into an energy being and go on contuing to be. I just don't belive that will happen.
So I resign myself with trying to get the most out of the life I have with the knowledge that it could end at any moment.
I at least get a little consolation in the fact that after the worms get a hold of me, pieces of me will eventual work their way back up the food chain, not to mention my genes continuing on through my children.
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
(07-11-2010 10:53 AM)Dragoon Wrote:  So I resign myself with trying to get the most out of the life I have with the knowledge that it could end at any moment.
Me too. That is the wisest decision that I am aware of.

If we are wrong and there is an afterlife and we can watch our kids live their lives, that would be a bonus. But if we are right and death is the end, what will you waste because you believe that it isn't?