Admiring a Theism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Admiring a Theism?
This is something I've always wanted to ask other atheists.

Do you have an admiration or a "like" of certain groups of theists?

I exposed myself to many religions in the time I was an agnostic (about 8 to 13 years old. Ya, I was a clever child Big Grin) including Paganism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, ect and I found that even now I have a rather deep respect for all of these religions. Especially pagan. I actually got so involved in Roman paganism that I often curse to Roman gods as naturally as many atheists from christian countries would curse to the christian god (I actually shouted out "Vulcan's arse!" after burning myself on the stove today xD) As for Hindus, not sure why but I get along with them. I have a fear of saying to them "Well you're wrong because of this, this, *hands a science book*" not because I fear Hindus, but because I somehow don't wish to offend them. For Buddhas and Sikhs I always get a very calming vibe from them, not sure how to explain it.

While I remain adamant that all these religions are contrary to science and therefore false, I do feel in the way above rather strongly.

Wondering if any of you are like this or similar.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
31-08-2010, 12:27 AM

RE: Admiring a Theism?
Though I respect believers and their right to choose their faith (or lack of thereof), I cannot bring myself to respect the religion itself. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I usually treat them as nothing more than a bunch of myths and rituals that are harmful to society.
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 05:59 AM

(30-08-2010 10:38 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  This is something I've always wanted to ask other atheists.

Do you have an admiration or a "like" of certain groups of theists?

No.

I don't like any specific religion. I DISLIKE Islam more than any other (but that's because everyone that's shot at me has been Muslim), and if I were forced to pick a favorite, I would have to pick one of the many branches of Wicca. Something about trying to give back to nature and respecting all life appeals to me. The same could be said of any of the native American religions as well, I know.

I'm a fan of fundamentalists, regardless of their religion. I know that sounds fu#ked up (can I curse here?), but anyone so convinced that their beliefs are right to the exclusion of all other possible belief systems intrigues me.

i would like to clarify and say that I am not enamored of fanatics (suicide bombers, people who throw blood on abortion doctors), but I do enjoy me a good fundie rally. there is nothing so entertaining as a bunch of people under one roof preaching death and destruction over a book that's thousands of years old.

I'm easily entertained, I know.
31-08-2010, 07:41 AM
ah yes the fundie christians... I know them well -_-"
grew up with a lot of churchs around me, I was told from a young age by teachers and friends that I was supposed to worship god and praise jesus but I never bought into it. I guess what stopped me from being indoctrinated was the fact that one of my teachers told me in kindergarden that when god was sad he would weep and sob and thats what caused rain, when in fact I knew from reading and watching science programs on discover-earth/history/nature- that it rained because of the water cycle, which I made great haste to correct my teach on... of course she being a christian was quite upset by my heresy and made me sit in "nickies corner" -some BS bible reference about hell" and from then on I NEVER gave any religious propaganda any attention because to me after that one teacher I knew it held no credibility.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
31-08-2010, 08:13 AM
No, I don't have a specific branch of theism that I like more than any other. They all seem equally silly to me.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if it counts, but ever since visiting some local shrines I've liked Shintoism. I say "I'm not sure if it counts" because I so far haven't met anyone who actually believes it's true, even from the priests/priestesses in the shrines. =P The aesthetic beauty of the shrines and their linked reverence to nature is really beautiful. The symbolism of their rituals are also quite interesting, such as the hand washing ceremony when you enter a shrine.

I also have a kind of respect for the philosophies of Buddhism, but that respect has been dwindling recently.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2010, 09:09 AM
There is no particular religion I like or dislike over any other. What I must say, however, is that there is not always a definite distinction between culture and religion. For example; I love native art (Native American/Canadian). Art is infused into the culture, but many art pieces (in fact I'd say the vast majority) are centred around native spiritual beliefs. Therefore, I am compelled to mention the spiritual influence when discussing my love for native art. So if that means I favor the theistic part of the culture more than others......well, there you have it. Maybe another discussion all together?

Just visiting.

-SR
31-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Hmmm... I can respect many version of spirituality even Christian to a point, but its when it becomes "a religion" that I get off the train. Once any type of business model is involved i.e. tithing, building a temple/church, having a leader, paying employees, etc... It's bad news from that point forward. I haven't seen a single version of "organized" religion that I think works. Now the Amish are interesting because they are pretty "organized", but they meet in houses/barns, there may be a spiritual leader, but I don't think its their "job" so that's the closest thing to organized religion working that I've found. So spirtuality I can bide maybe even respect, religion not so much.
31-08-2010, 10:59 AM

What I respect most is that everyone has the right (here in the USA, anyway) to practice their religion, including those of us who choose to be free FROM religious beliefs. If some belief system floats your boat, then good for you ... but ... don't ask me to climb aboard, and don't try to get the rest of society to follow YOUR religious practices.
31-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't really admire any religions. I too looked into many different types of religions as a kid (naturally curious child, I was) and I could not find any in which I agreed with their dogma, so I gave up trying.
However, that being said, I find Greek mythology fascinating. I love the stories that came out of that religion, and I have a couple of copies of the Odyssey and the Iliad; Ovid's Metamorphoses, although Roman can still be attributed to the Greek gods, who are essentially the same, is a delight to read; and I am in love with Greek plays. What I admire the most of the Greeks is that their gods are so human. They have a family tree, they have family squabbles, they lie to and cheat on each other; it's basically like a soap opera of divinity ^.^

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula