Admiring a Theism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 04:01 PM

RE: Admiring a Theism?
In a philosophy class I once took I was told that Buddhism was an atheistic religion. Thus, it is really the only one I respect. It is the only one (besides other obscure Asian religions) that hasn't led to any violence whatsoever, and they normally keep to themselves. I come from a Hindu family so I "say" I respect it just to avoid further trouble. In reality, I consider it to be one of the silliest things ever. The elephant man with 6 arms is responsible for good luck? Get real.
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Buddhism may be atheistic (certain branches of it, anyway), but it is undoubtedly woo.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I can't think of any good that religions do better than atheists do, but I know that when it comes to doing evil and spreading bullshit, religion rules.
Not all religions have proven to be evil, but that is more likely to be a result of decent people being the leaders of those religions and not the religion itself, just like in Christianity where some sects are basically good and some are full of hate. It is the leaders who steer the people towards good or bad.
It is the blind faith that makes all religions dangerous.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Since the thing that bothers me the most is the drastic changes religion goes through from its original teachings, usually caused by a religion becoming a matter of state (Constantine with Christianity, for example) Shintoism has always been the religion I can respect most. Shintoism has those changes, in a sense, built into them so it isn't a drastic transmogrification from the original teachings for them to take place.

[Image: logo2.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I practised buddhism for a couple of years, years ago. I still love this religion aka philosophy. I like its goals and desire for non suffering. Yes, lots of woo with it, but when that is stripped away it really is the most peaceful and beneficial one of the bunch. I've learned a lot about myself and how I relate and perceive this life and world, it has brought a certain awareness.
24-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Actually I have to say I've seen both sides of the coin.

A person so steeped in religion they seemed at peace, and others so fearful they sicken themselves with an obsession to reach heaven.

On the other side I've seen some really happy atheists! At peace with the natural side of life. Loving their time here and life at large.

Personally atheism has been the best thing to happen to me. I have many caring friends an awesome lady, and no need to lie or dwell on the afterlife. For me its been great and I wouldn't change reality for anything.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post