Adolf Hitler's birth house to be demolished

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2016, 09:21 AM
RE: Adolf Hitler's birth house to be demolished
(18-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed and that's why I think memorial museums are so important to have. It's important never to forget such atrocities. I took a Sociology of Genocide course (which was a course mostly about the Holocaust) in college and my professor (who had family who were Holocaust survivors) used to say with tears in his eyes that remembering, even though painful, helps spread awareness and can help stop these horrendous acts from ever happening again.

I remember.

I agree with your professor but to be honest remembering counts for shit when it comes to preventing genocide/mass killing. All museums in the world didn't help a bit in stopping mass murders.

To remember and understand is important but I highly doubt that it would stop something. Stopping such crimes is about political will I would say and being willing to both shoulder the cost of intervention and set aside the sovereignty of country in question. These things seems to be in a short supply.

(18-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  All that said, I think they should demolish Hitler's house. I don't think it adds any value to remembering and destroying it is kind of a symbolic way to say Fuck you, you sick fuck.

Dead does not care about what living do.

(18-10-2016 07:47 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Should we shame the dead man?

Dead do not feel shame.

(18-10-2016 07:47 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Or simply shame him with neglect. Make the site a parking lot, or a park. Allow it to be forgotten

Maybe simply let it be. Destroying the home will not change the past.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
18-10-2016, 09:35 AM
From what I can find, Hitler lived in that house for only three years before they moved to another city. That means there probably isn't much historical value with regard to how it might have shaped his views if that affects anybody's reaction to the proposed demolition. It probably doesn't need anything more than a marker.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-10-2016, 09:37 AM
(18-10-2016 09:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed and that's why I think memorial museums are so important to have. It's important never to forget such atrocities. I took a Sociology of Genocide course (which was a course mostly about the Holocaust) in college and my professor (who had family who were Holocaust survivors) used to say with tears in his eyes that remembering, even though painful, helps spread awareness and can help stop these horrendous acts from ever happening again.

I remember.

I agree with your professor but to be honest remembering counts for shit when it comes to preventing genocide/mass killing. All museums in the world didn't help a bit in stopping mass murders.

To remember and understand is important but I highly doubt that it would stop something. Stopping such crimes is about political will I would say and being willing to both shoulder the cost of intervention and set aside the sovereignty of country in question. These things seems to be in a short supply.

(18-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  All that said, I think they should demolish Hitler's house. I don't think it adds any value to remembering and destroying it is kind of a symbolic way to say Fuck you, you sick fuck.

Dead does not care about what living do.

(18-10-2016 07:47 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Should we shame the dead man?

Dead do not feel shame.

(18-10-2016 07:47 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Or simply shame him with neglect. Make the site a parking lot, or a park. Allow it to be forgotten

Maybe simply let it be. Destroying the home will not change the past.

Agreed, dead do not care what the living do. That's why I used the word "symbolic." Destruction of that house would be more for the families of the people he savagely murdered.

Remembering doesn't help stop things in every case, you are right. But in some cases it does. And if it stops even one case of genocide, then the act of remembering has done it's job.
18-10-2016, 09:46 AM
We like to celebrate the birthplaces of the "good" historic figures. Since you can't really "uncelebrate", then tearing it down is fine by me. We destroy marginally functional old buildings all the time.
There are plenty of places to go and think about his terrible misdeeds.
18-10-2016, 09:48 AM
(18-10-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, dead do not care what the living do. That's why I used the word "symbolic." Destruction of that house would be more for the families of the people he savagely murdered.

But would these people really care? It's not like house itself is at fault, it's not some mythical place of evil, just building.

Said that I do not really care, I just don't see a reason to destroy it. It won't change the past or erase suffering.

(18-10-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Remembering doesn't help stop things in every case, you are right. But in some cases it does. And if it stops even one case of genocide, then the act of remembering has done it's job.

Remembering or maybe rather being aware of similarities might help on individual scale, i.e. soldier disobeying the order to shoot unarmed civilian cause that reminds him of actions of Einsatzgruppen. Other than that I doubt that remembrance has much value in stopping genocide.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-10-2016, 09:54 AM
(18-10-2016 09:48 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, dead do not care what the living do. That's why I used the word "symbolic." Destruction of that house would be more for the families of the people he savagely murdered.

But would these people really care? It's not like house itself is at fault, it's not some mythical place of evil, just building.

Said that I do not really care, I just don't see a reason to destroy it. It won't change the past or erase suffering.

(18-10-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Remembering doesn't help stop things in every case, you are right. But in some cases it does. And if it stops even one case of genocide, then the act of remembering has done it's job.

Remembering or maybe rather being aware of similarities might help on individual scale, i.e. soldier disobeying the order to shoot unarmed civilian cause that reminds him of actions of Einsatzgruppen. Other than that I doubt that remembrance has much value in stopping genocide.

No, it wouldn't erase the suffering or pain of loss or erase the past, but sometimes doing symbolic things can help people heal.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-10-2016, 10:00 AM
(18-10-2016 09:54 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No, it wouldn't erase the suffering or pain of loss or erase the past, but sometimes doing symbolic things can help people heal.

I doubt that destroying this particular house will change anything. But I'm not the one making decision.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-10-2016, 03:31 PM
(18-10-2016 08:50 AM)skyking Wrote:  I baked them myself in the oven.

*sniff sniff* You might want to check your oven. I think there maybe a gas leak.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
20-10-2016, 04:17 PM
That was me. Sausage and cabbage.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
21-10-2016, 08:05 PM
(18-10-2016 06:12 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I have mixed views on the idea. On the one hand I understand not wanting to preserve a shrine for neo-nazis to visit but there are many other Hitler-related sites that should be preserved and those would also be used in that way. The 'anti-shrine' argument doesn't strike me as very strong. I'm uneasy about any proposal that seems like it might be trying to sweep history under the rug which is how this sounds to me.

Maybe turn it into a Holocaust museum or a center for Jewish studies or something that recognizes the history while condemning it rather than erasing it.

While I have no love for the Nazi regime it seems to me a lot like other countries that try to erase history. A good example is the various pharaohs of Egypt who tried to erase earlier pharaohs from their history or newer attempts of Russia to erase the past.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself