"Adopt an Atheist" Program

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
"Adopt an Atheist" Program
Have you all seen this???

http://www.catholicleague.org/adopt-an-a...gn-begins/

Catholic League president Bill Donohue explains why the Catholic League is starting a new initiative aimed at atheists:

Approximately 80 percent of Americans are Christian, and 96 percent celebrate Christmas. Of the 20 percent who are not Christian, non-believers make up the largest segment, though the number of self-identified atheists is tiny. David Silverman, president of American Atheists, knows this to be true, which is why he is frantically trying to inflate his base. “We want people to realize that there may be atheists in their family,” he told the New York Times, “even if those atheists don’t even know they are atheists.”

We think there is some merit in David’s idea, even if he has things backwards, as usual. Today we are launching our “Adopt An Atheist” campaign, the predicate of which is, “We want atheists to realize that there may be Christians in their community, even if those Christians don’t even know they are Christian.”

Here’s what our campaign entails. We are asking everyone to contact the American Atheist affiliate in his area [click here], letting them know of your interest in “adopting” one of them. All it takes is an e-mail. Let them know of your sincere interest in working with them to uncover their inner self. They may be resistant at first, but eventually they may come to understand that they were Christian all along.
If we hurry, these closeted Christians can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”

Wow.

(By the way, do they think all atheists would be Christian if they had to choose? Catholic? I come from a Jewish background, and if I had to start practicing something - and thank goodness I don't - I'd probably practice Judaism, which at least doesn't slap me with original sin, LOL.)

Judy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JumpinJude's post
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
RE: "Adopt an Atheist" Program
(10-12-2011 11:55 AM)JumpinJude Wrote:  Have you all seen this???

http://www.catholicleague.org/adopt-an-a...gn-begins/

Catholic League president Bill Donohue explains why the Catholic League is starting a new initiative aimed at atheists:

Approximately 80 percent of Americans are Christian, and 96 percent celebrate Christmas. Of the 20 percent who are not Christian, non-believers make up the largest segment, though the number of self-identified atheists is tiny. David Silverman, president of American Atheists, knows this to be true, which is why he is frantically trying to inflate his base. “We want people to realize that there may be atheists in their family,” he told the New York Times, “even if those atheists don’t even know they are atheists.”

We think there is some merit in David’s idea, even if he has things backwards, as usual. Today we are launching our “Adopt An Atheist” campaign, the predicate of which is, “We want atheists to realize that there may be Christians in their community, even if those Christians don’t even know they are Christian.”

Here’s what our campaign entails. We are asking everyone to contact the American Atheist affiliate in his area [click here], letting them know of your interest in “adopting” one of them. All it takes is an e-mail. Let them know of your sincere interest in working with them to uncover their inner self. They may be resistant at first, but eventually they may come to understand that they were Christian all along.
If we hurry, these closeted Christians can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”

Wow.

(By the way, do they think all atheists would be Christian if they had to choose? Catholic? I come from a Jewish background, and if I had to start practicing something - and thank goodness I don't - I'd probably practice Judaism, which at least doesn't slap me with original sin, LOL.)

Judy

Yeah, I feel my latent Christianity struggling to express itself. Not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah I locked my christian side in the padded room part of my head. It receives electro-shock therapy daily. I hope to get that part of my brain back on track with reality.

Seriously though, these people have to know that this could be a huge back fire. It's like sending steaks to the wolves. I do appreciate the helping hand though Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Ohhhhhhh Ohhhhhh Ohhhhh

I want Chas.

I promise I'll take good care of him.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
(10-12-2011 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ohhhhhhh Ohhhhhh Ohhhhh

I want Chas.

I promise I'll take good care of him.

I want an increase in my allowance and the keys to the car.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-12-2011, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 01:00 PM by Hamata k.)
What is this? I don't even..... I am so confused on so many levels how they can think that the best way to "help" atheist is to form a program based around mindless idiots pestering them until they go mad. I swear if some unfortunate fool decides to adopt me that I Hamata K will make sure that their life becomes such a nightmare that hell will look like a five star vacation hotel! Pompous fools. I've no time for this kind of crap. People wonder why I hate the religious organization so much...Well. HERE IS WHY!They keep pulling stunt stunt after media whore, attention grabbing STUNT.
My patience and respect for these kinds of people was already at absolute zero and know you know what I discovered? IT CAN GO NEGATIVE!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 4 users Like Hamata k's post
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
(10-12-2011 03:06 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  What is this? I don't even..... I am so confused on so many levels how they can think that the best way to "help" atheist is to form a program based around mindless idiots pestering them until they go mad. I swear if some unfortunate fool decides to adopt me that I Hamata K will make sure that their life becomes such a nightmare that hell will look like a five star vacation hotel! Pompous fools. I've no time for this kind of crap. People wonder why I hate the religious organization so much...Well. HERE IS WHY!They keep pulling stunt stunt after media whore, attention grabbing STUNT.
My patience and respect foe these kinds of people was already at absolute zero and know you know what I discovered? IT CAN GO NEGATIVE!

Hamata, it's adopt an atheist, not adopt an atheist troll who will piss all over your bible 'til your brain explodes Wink Although if you're willing to pretend nice we might be able to sneak you in for laughs Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-12-2011, 03:17 PM
(10-12-2011 03:06 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  What is this? I don't even..... I am so confused on so many levels how they can think that the best way to "help" atheist is to form a program based around mindless idiots pestering them until they go mad. I swear if some unfortunate fool decides to adopt me that I Hamata K will make sure that their life becomes such a nightmare that hell will look like a five star vacation hotel! Pompous fools. I've no time for this kind of crap. People wonder why I hate the religious organization so much...Well. HERE IS WHY!They keep pulling stunt stunt after media whore, attention grabbing STUNT.
My patience and respect foe these kinds of people was already at absolute zero and know you know what I discovered? IT CAN GO NEGATIVE!

The whole thing is ridiculous - and talk about condescending! Yeah, you know what's best for me, I am an idiot, I need guidance, people hate me, so gee, yes, please show me the right way. Um, no. I find this on par with, for instance, Baptists seeking out those poor Jews, Muslims, and Hindus who are going to hell without their special Baptist help, and they seek them out to "save them" at their places of worship during their holidays. (This was a few years ago that this was popular - is it still?) Now, I am not interested in practicing a religion myself, but I believe that others have the right to do so if they leave me out of it - so it upsets me. It pisses me off.

And while on the subject, LOL, I am sick of hearing about missionaries who get in trouble when they go into countries to convert people - I am not condoning violence toward anyone, but hello, how do you think it will go over if you tell people, "Hey, hi there, you're going to hell unless you do things our way!" I am tired of, "Our religion TELLS us we MUST spread the word." Too bad - it's rude. In many cases people have already been brainwashed with one kind of BS, they don't need you telling them your brand of BS is better. Watch out for that stone!
[+] 4 users Like JumpinJude's post
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
You're really all just Christians- what you need is a creepy Catholic dude to email you out of the blue and to help you discover your inner self.

Not me though, I'm alright the way I am. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
11-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Think about this for a second... They want someone in their parish, who blindly follows a fictitious book about an evil monster, to start e-mailing free thinking rational people. This will backfire horribly and will probably lead to more Christians becoming atheists rather than the other way around. I’m actually excited at this sort of stuff happening and would love a Christian to adopt me!
[+] 2 users Like tobiasfunke's post