Adoption

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Adoption
My wife and I decided we do not want to have children naturally, but would prefer to adopt a child/children. I'm not sure how it looks though to adoption agencies as an atheist couple. Some descriptions for children say things like 'Would do well with a traditional couple with commonly accepted male/female roles'. What does that mean? Isn't the only thing that matters is a loving parent(s) who have the means to provide for a child?

Has anyone tried to adopt as an atheist? We really want to, but don't want to get denied because of that. I don't want to lie about being a theist to get through the application, but I also don't want to miss on the opportunity to adopt because of some antiquated belief system. I would only have to be a 'theist' for as long as I'm associated with the agency.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Adoption
I'm not able to answer your question sorry. But I phoned home today and found out my brother and his wife are wanting to adopt (they are unable to have children). They live in England. My husband mentioned the possibility last week and I wasn't sure what to say. What country do you live in?

My brother and his wife are both devout christians (unusual in England) and they're thinking of going for two siblings, maybe a little older. They are always the hardest to find a home for as most people prefer a small single baby. Disabled children also have a tough time finding new parents.
21-04-2014, 11:39 AM
My wife and I live in the US (Maryland).

Can't say we have a preference for any particular child yet. I guess I'd like a girl (I've always wanted a little princess, lol). My wife wants a boy. She saw a posting for a Chinese boy who has a learning disability. I think he was 9 or 10. He was abandoned in a wheat field when he was 1 month old.

I'm going off on a side note here...but reading some of these stories is heart breaking. I don't know how anyone could drop off an infant in a wheat field and walk away.

We're not against siblings either. We would never split up siblings.

21-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I wish many more people would think this way. Kudos to you and your wife Thumbsup
The only experience I can bring to this table is that I was adopted (when I was a week old) and the most important piece of advice I could give you would be that you tell them from an early age that they're adopted and that they're special as you 'chose' them. This is what my adoptive parents did and, looking back, it gave me a sense of total belonging.
My cousin adopted 2 babies from Columbia and they're an extremely happy family.

Good luck Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
21-04-2014, 06:16 PM
I have no practical advice here - but I want to congratulate you on your decision. I wish more people thought like that.

If it was me, I'd just lie about my (non) religion. I figure you are answering questionnaires, not deceiving actual people. Your intentions are honorable and that is what counts. Yes

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Is there a shortage of babies waiting to be adopted where you live?

Atheism is an issue? Is this not discrimination?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 07:56 PM by Free Thought.)
(21-04-2014 06:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Is there a shortage of babies waiting to be adopted where you live?

Atheism is an issue? Is this not discrimination?

Problem is, Jesse's in Yankville, and from what I understand, them nar ungodly atheists aren't looked well upon, regardless of where you are or what you are trying to do; seems that in a lot of cases, soon as people find out they'll just as soon actively get in your way as help you out.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Glad I wasn't born there.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 07:27 PM by Alex_Leonardo.)
Two words:
Artificial wombs
Wait, they don't have that until the human revolution in the thirties... OH SHIT!
I never said anything.
Umm, I think the "gender roles" thing means the kid is sexist....
I don't know.
But it's totally unconstitutional to deny you the right to adopt a child. Oh wait, I forgot, people in america don't CARE about the constitution.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Maryland is kind of weird. It's south enough that if you're north of us...we're from the south. Go south of Maryland, and we're from up north. I have a nice neighbor who likes to discuss the end of days with me when he finds me at the grocery store.

There is no where that says we 'have' to be theists to adopt, but like I was saying, there are lots of indicator statements like 'traditional family values' and things like that. I think it's f*cking ridiculous if we get denied because of that...but we're all aware that atheists aren't exactly as popular as the pope or that stone age hippie. I may just be over reacting though. It may be a non-issue...but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

We're tempted to not even risk it and just go through the process as a home grown Christian, god fearing heterosexual couple- just like the good Lawd intended Facepalm I'm gonna need acting classes...

And thanks for the tip aurora!