Adults to Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Adults to Children
If only adults could be more honest with children !
Why not break the traditional mould and be honest with your children over reality, that there are no fantasy characters, from the Tooth Fairy to Easter Bunny, let alone gods and angels ! We don't want to take away a child's imagination, certainly their imagination could be painted with better images ! Let them wonder, let them know there is nobody looking down on them, besides a parent.
Could you imagine !
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 03:03 PM
RE: Adults to Children
Well I'm now a parent with a 3 week old son and I want him to enjoy the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Leprechauns via St. Patties day. I remember all of these and they were so much fun and made life exciting. You can have holidays without being a religious believer. I know Easter/Christmas are based around Christianity but I don't care. I will teach my child with science and education... I will not force him to go to church. We will have fun though with holidays and not to mention it doesn't really last long and once they figure that out then it's over and done with and their holidays will be as boring as the majority of mine were after I learned there were no holiday spirits.

I do have a question though! Do you think forcing children to go to church actually helps them convert into a Atheist? Most of us were probably forced as a child and look at us, although I guess it's just on your amount of intelligence? I'm not sure I mean I'll support my son no matter what he decides but I want him to be open minded and nothing like the majority of the people in North Carolina.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 05:51 AM

(28-04-2011 03:03 PM)Snuff Wrote:  Well I'm now a parent with a 3 week old son and I want him to enjoy the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Leprechauns via St. Patties day. I remember all of these and they were so much fun and made life exciting. You can have holidays without being a religious believer. I know Easter/Christmas are based around Christianity but I don't care. I will teach my child with science and education... I will not force him to go to church. We will have fun though with holidays and not to mention it doesn't really last long and once they figure that out then it's over and done with and their holidays will be as boring as the majority of mine were after I learned there were no holiday spirits.

I do have a question though! Do you think forcing children to go to church actually helps them convert into a Atheist? Most of us were probably forced as a child and look at us, although I guess it's just on your amount of intelligence? I'm not sure I mean I'll support my son no matter what he decides but I want him to be open minded and nothing like the majority of the people in North Carolina.

To some degree, forcing a child to attend church does make him rebel, which is good, thats my opinion !
29-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't see anything wrong with allowing a child to go through all the fantas stages of his or her culture. It all happens very quickly and ends soon enough: with the entertainment and communication overkill we practice in North America, no child has a chance to exercise its own imagination. However, if asked a direct question, i would not lie, but tell them what i believe.

As for forcing them to go to church, i wouldn't. But i would certainly encourage them to try Sunday school for a while, choir, if they feel like it, and later, to attend as many churches as they have friends and relatives to accompany. All the while, keeping lots of reading material handy. The best weapon against superstition is knowledge. Let them have all the information they crave, and the kids will be fine.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
29-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm 16 and a Atheist, as a kid I never attended church due to the fact I played hockey, and had to travel ever weekend, and had practice ever day. Religion was never really discussed with my family as I believe the left me to make my own decision. I don't remember when I made the decision to not believe in god, but I do remember investigating it at around 10. I would read lots of science books from space, to earth. Now i can see it as a benefit as I'm in AP Science and haven't had under a 90% in a science class since 5 th grade.
29-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Good for you, kg36!

Most young people go through a period of exploring the supernatural (and/or spiritual) sometime between 10 and 18, the most common age being 14, at or shortly after puberty. I'm not absolutely certain there is a hormonal/sexual component; it may simply be the time people are most desirous of magic, power, specialness - or maybe they are trying to define an identity that relates directly to the universe.
In any case, this is the period you have to watch out for: when kids are most vulnerable - to ritual, to enthusiasm, to music, to communion and shared emotion, to secrecy and occultism, to seduction by charismatic leaders of every kind - yes, including revivalist preachers and Catholic priests.
The more kids know before they reach this age, the better they are armed against cults.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
30-04-2011, 02:10 AM
I was never a believer, although I think I did believe in santa for a while. I would suggest, even if you were to raise your children with the beliefs of religion or popular fiction, that you raise them as skeptics. Ask them why they believe in entities, or certain philosophies, and get them to think and reason from an early age.
It is my opinion that the child should come into contact with the concepts of religion and santa etc, but they should be talked to almost as though they are adults, and they should be taught to be skeptical about such claims.

@kg36 I'm sort of the opposite of that. I had a terrible science education when I was young, and I am feeling the repercussions of that to this day - I am 17, and an aspiring biologist, but due to my lack of education in science that may not happen.
I can remember not even knowing what church was about, or even what a god was until 11 or 12. Bear in mind, that's here in New Zealand where you're slightly odd to be a practising christian.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
30-04-2011, 08:52 AM
17 is definitely not too late to catch up with missed education. I know people much older who have. Don't ever give up on your aspirations!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  why should we be expected to be "nice" to the children of others? namiloveyou 23 1,176 13-01-2013 01:09 AM
Last Post: Birdguy1979
  Are Children Slaves? Starcrash 52 3,769 15-01-2012 07:45 PM
Last Post: Phenakist