Advice Needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 02:47 PM
RE: Advice Needed
Don't say they are wrong that doesn't get anyone anywhere and causes others to be defensive.

Simply explain honestly how you got to where you are. That's honest and is something you should be able to explain. Don't get too cute with this. Others maybe able to cite logical proofs or be able to quote contradictions in the bible, etc. Don't worry about that. Go with your strengths.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
25-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Dood. You're wrong.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2012, 04:42 PM
(24-04-2012 10:18 PM)jmiron Wrote:  First off, I'm a new member to the forums and not sure if I'm posting in the right section or not. If I'm not, sorry. If I am, groovy.

Anyway, I have a bit of a situation that I'd like some advice on. I'm a fairly new atheist (only for the last 2ish years) and the rest of my family are all die-hard Christians. I had been waiting to break the news to the rest of them once I had enough knowledge on my own to intelligently explain all of the "why's" as to what caused me to stop believing. Unfortunately (and unknown to me), my mom likes to pretend she's internet savvy and Googles all of our names regularly to make sure there is no identity theft going on... anyway, she Googled me last week and discovered that I had an account on another atheist forum and, as a result, forced me to jump the gun a bit on informing her about my lack of belief. So far, she's the only one that knows, but what I'm wanting advice on is how to break it to the rest of the family. My plan was to just let my immediate family know and let it spread through the family grapevine afterwards. I don't feel that I have enough intelligent answers to answer their questions yet, but I'm also pretty sure that I will have to do something soon. Thoughts?

Side note, don't use your actual name as a username for ANYTHING.
You know, I'm an atheist and I am a member of several Christian forums. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, Luke 5:27-32 is a helpful passage to bring to those who question your presence on atheist forums:

Quote:Jesus Calls Levi and Eats With Sinners
27 After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth.“Follow me,” Jesus said to him, 28 and Levi got up, left everything and followed him. 29 Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. 30 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Don't get me wrong --- I'm not suggesting that you pretend to be a Christian going among atheists to convert them as Jesus is in this passage. I'm just saying it's a good defense for your presence here and elsewhere, and it's a good rebuttal that implies "so you should be doing this, too, rather than condemning me for it".

Even if you know nothing else about atheism, you should know that a lot of us are "negative" atheists (belief that there's no evidence for God's existence) as opposed to "positive" atheists (belief that there's evidence that God doesn't exist). It's easier to defend a negative atheist position, as "skepticism" (withholding a decision on a subject until you have compelling evidence) is a rational position to take. The burden of proof (a concept that you should familiarize yourself with) is on a Christian, not on you --- you don't have to prove that God doesn't exist any more than you have to disprove Allah or the other countless gods in order to not hold those religious beliefs.

Keep visiting, and we'll be happy to educate you Smile All of us atheists were in your shoes at some point in the past.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm still the "burn all the bridges and then blow the fucking house up once you have reached the other side" kinda guy. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like arbmouser's post