Advice about response to email from father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Advice about response to email from father
Hello all,
This is my first post, I came to the forum because the knowledge and education that Seth provided through his show has allowed me to break free of my indoctrinated catholic beliefs. I am grateful to be an Atheist today. My world is filled with science not the supernatural and superstitious. Life has become so much better and rewarding.

I need advice regarding a recent email from my dad. He identifies himself as a free thinker. He turned me on to the writings of Thomas Jefferson and identifies from what I gathered as a deist. He is a mathematician and a astronomy nut. It is for these reasons I find his email to me rather shocking. Please see below and provide feedback. I never really came out as an atheist yet. I joined lots of atheist and science secular groups on FB. I never directly posted anything on my page but apparently if you join a public group it will post stuff from that group into other people that are friends with you feed. My page has always been set to private.

Tell me your thoughts as I am entering new territory in my life.

"Recent posts made by you on your Facebook have been brought to my attention. Specifically I reference the posting regarding religion and atheist groups. Frankly I'm surprised that you would align yourself with a "faith" group. You see I view atheist and theist as one in the same when it comes to faith based belief systems. Both groups, while polar opposites, make extraordinary claims with no empirical or scientific evidence. Their respective claims of there is a God and there is not a God are both arguments of faith. Both groups have chosen to ignore their gift of reason and rather than continue the quest for truth and discovery would rather profess articles of faith and forego any further spiritual investigations.

Beware of the dangers of Facebook. What you post on social media outlets can be used against you, your wife and even your children. Be especially careful when making public pronouncements regarding politics and religion. Especially religion.

Sincerely

Dad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2015, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2015 04:00 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Advice about response to email from father
Welcome to the forum.

It's good to see such fatherly concern but this is an easy one to explain to him ... he needs to update his lexicography.

He is describing a 'hard' atheist position. Not even Richard Dawkins is in that camp.

Tell him that most atheists (at least on TTA) would simply define atheism as doubting / non-believing i.e. they do not believe the god-claims.

In other words, it's like finding gods not guilty of existing rather than declaring them innocent of existing.

Smile

[Image: Agnostic%252520v%252520Gnostic%252520v%2...imgmax=800]

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
14-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Welcome.

My first thought is wow...you aren't supposed to share an opinion.

However, after reading the stories of deconverts here and the issues with family, friends, jobs, etc. I suppose that he is trying to warn you so you don't experience that backlash.

For a freethinker he seems a bit closed off.

Lots of good people here, good advice is sure to come your way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-03-2015, 04:47 PM
(14-03-2015 03:47 PM)M3th0d0075 Wrote:  Hello all,
This is my first post, I came to the forum because the knowledge and education that Seth provided through his show has allowed me to break free of my indoctrinated catholic beliefs. I am grateful to be an Atheist today. My world is filled with science not the supernatural and superstitious. Life has become so much better and rewarding.

I need advice regarding a recent email from my dad. He identifies himself as a free thinker. He turned me on to the writings of Thomas Jefferson and identifies from what I gathered as a deist. He is a mathematician and a astronomy nut. It is for these reasons I find his email to me rather shocking. Please see below and provide feedback. I never really came out as an atheist yet. I joined lots of atheist and science secular groups on FB. I never directly posted anything on my page but apparently if you join a public group it will post stuff from that group into other people that are friends with you feed. My page has always been set to private.

Tell me your thoughts as I am entering new territory in my life.

"Recent posts made by you on your Facebook have been brought to my attention. Specifically I reference the posting regarding religion and atheist groups. Frankly I'm surprised that you would align yourself with a "faith" group. You see I view atheist and theist as one in the same when it comes to faith based belief systems. Both groups, while polar opposites, make extraordinary claims with no empirical or scientific evidence. Their respective claims of there is a God and there is not a God are both arguments of faith. Both groups have chosen to ignore their gift of reason and rather than continue the quest for truth and discovery would rather profess articles of faith and forego any further spiritual investigations.

Beware of the dangers of Facebook. What you post on social media outlets can be used against you, your wife and even your children. Be especially careful when making public pronouncements regarding politics and religion. Especially religion.

Sincerely

Dad

While dad is completely wrong about atheism being about faith, he does make a valid point about being careful what you share on social media.

Many people don't really think about it that way.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-03-2015, 06:20 PM
I would respond that the fact that you're an atheist is the fact that you don't believe the claims they make before they provide evidence just like how you wouldn't believe your father if he would tell you that flying fire-breathing dragons are real until he provides evidence. You don't have faith fire-breathing dragons don't exist.
[+] 1 user Likes 4Syntraph's post
14-03-2015, 06:48 PM
I knew this forum could relate.
14-03-2015, 07:05 PM
I have a feeling my mom is the pressure behind all this. My mother is a god addict as i would identify it. She is a jesus junkie that puts god first and her husband and family second. I can go on and on with examples of her extreme devotion to god but everyone here has heard them over and over.
14-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I guess I count myself lucky to live in England. I am openly an atheist and do not hold back on my opinions about my views on all religions.

I assume you are across the pond and I often read people having problems in work, social circles and the like all because they refuse to believe in something which has no evidence.

I don't have much to offer more than the previous posters; except to wish you luck and despite my feelings to the contrary I do see the sense in tempering ones views on social media in a society that seems to treat non-believers in much the same way as other often persecuted groups.

I Think; Therefore I Am....
...or is it the other way around?
[Image: b.gif]
Bunny's Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Costabunny, you are so lucky. I got a lecture from my parents because a friend of mine posted she is an atheist. There are so many times that I want to be open about my atheism but people in 'Murica are true believers are will hold that against you and try to re-convert you. Last night I saw a friend post that their 10 year old daughter decided to accept Jesus into their heart. I had to resist posting "Worst decision ever!" in the comments. This is just a small sample of what I grew up with.

As for M3th0d0075, you are lucky that your father is basically an atheist he just hasn't addmited to himself yet. I do agree with him somewhat, be careful what you post because it could have a backlash. Atheism is the new gay. Maybe in another 20 years or so we can be open about our lack of belief but it's still hard to do that for now.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes USMCLoggy's post
16-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Lock down your facebook, put privacy settings at maximum. If your employers are on facebook and you have added them as friends, then defriend and block them. Have a friends list clear out, remove acquaintances and keep actual friends who you trust.

Facebook and anything you post is classed as being in the public domain and can be used against you, its is best to be guarded.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post