Advice, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Advice, anyone?
One of my religious friends wrote me a letter and gave it to me today. The letter was centered around trying to get me to become a Christian. I don't ever remember telling her specifically that I was an atheist, but I did tell her once that I wasn't very religious. I think she views me as someone who just wasn't "lucky enough" to learn about Jesus or something, even though I know a lot about Christianity and just about every other religion too.

Anyways, in the letter I think she tried to prove to me why the bible was true, but she didn't back up her argument but to say that the bible was the word of god, period, no questions asked. She told me that I needed to accept Christ as my savior and that if I didn't I would go to hell. Which really isn't a threat to me, since I don't believe in it, but I guess she thinks it is. I think that she genuinely believes that this letter will make me have an epiphany and drop down to my knees or something. She truly thinks that she's doing something great for me.

I just don't know how to respond to her. I want to let her know that I apperciate her concern but I also don't want to be preached to. I don't really want to outright tell her that I don't believe in any of this and won't ever because she's a really good friend of mine who's a really kind person despite being religious.

Thoughts?

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DreamWeaver's post
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
RE: Advice, anyone?
Explain your position thoroughly. Begin by showing her this video.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
well, first of all, answer to her in person, I think that would show her better what you mean (you know, body language et al). Second, it shows from what you wrote that you care for her enough not to take this lightly, tell her about this thread, I would appreciate that someone took the work to ask others for advice in such a matter. Finally, try to explain her your position in the most precise, clear, and brief way you can, maybe practice a little what words you're going to choose and how you'll order your ideas, I say this because theist usually find it hard to listen to this things when they are in preach-mode.

I guess that would make her understand your ideas and hopefully she'll get that you can have a friendship without sharing beliefs.

At least that's what I would do Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Im not sure how you can answer her without saying your an atheist???

You could say your not sure...... to which your friend may take it upon themselves to try and "save your soul" and the preaching may increase.

You could say that you have your own "personal relationship with god" and that you dont really wish to discuss it.... obv dont tell her that "personal" means you dont believe.

Or you could bite the bullet and tell her you dont believe..... that you hope this doesnt change your friendship..... that you respect her personal views and would like the same in return..... that just because you dont believe, that it doesnt make you a bad person.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
As a Christian, your friend cares about you. To her, it wasn't a threat, it's a possibility, which might worry her about you. She does care and she wants you to believe too and see for yourself just how amazing God is. While we are told to make disciples of all nations by the Lord Jesus Christ, we are not told to push Jesus onto other people; we tell people about what will happen if they do not accept Christ. We do this in love and care. As a Christian, I know I'll get a lot of flack, but it'll be worth it, because I got to help God. I think of it as unfair when someone can make a joke about God and get away with it. It's like someone you don't know telling jokes about someone you love very much. It's true, that those who don't know Christ will go to hell, so it was nice of your friend to let you know what can happen. Someone told me that she'd rather believe in God and find out she was wrong than to not believe in God and not see her loved ones in heaven. I definitely agree with this. The Smithsonian Museum uses the Bible as historical information--meaning that it is accurate. God is real whether people want to accept it or not. He's not a mean God--He sent His son down to earth to pay for our sins--that's how much He loved us. I know people will say that it's not possible, but it is for God. All things are possible for God. He is the Creator of all, and we will see one day that heaven and hell are real. I hope everything goes well for you all Smile I will pray for you all. God bless!! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Christlover's post
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Hmmmm..... Sad

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
(05-09-2012 06:53 PM)Christlover Wrote:  As a Christian, your friend cares about you. To her, it wasn't a threat, it's a possibility, which might worry her about you. She does care and she wants you to believe too and see for yourself just how amazing God is. While we are told to make disciples of all nations by the Lord Jesus Christ, we are not told to push Jesus onto other people; we tell people about what will happen if they do not accept Christ. We do this in love and care. As a Christian, I know I'll get a lot of flack, but it'll be worth it, because I got to help God. I think of it as unfair when someone can make a joke about God and get away with it. It's like someone you don't know telling jokes about someone you love very much. It's true, that those who don't know Christ will go to hell, so it was nice of your friend to let you know what can happen. Someone told me that she'd rather believe in God and find out she was wrong than to not believe in God and not see her loved ones in heaven. I definitely agree with this. The Smithsonian Museum uses the Bible as historical information--meaning that it is accurate. God is real whether people want to accept it or not. He's not a mean God--He sent His son down to earth to pay for our sins--that's how much He loved us. I know people will say that it's not possible, but it is for God. All things are possible for God. He is the Creator of all, and we will see one day that heaven and hell are real. I hope everything goes well for you all Smile I will pray for you all. God bless!! Smile

Wow... So much wrong in this statment.

Do you think he doesn't know about Hell? That fucking evil dogma has scarred more people than you could EVER imagine.

Why do people who haven't EVEN HEARD of christ have to suffer for something they honestly had no idea about?

And what if Islam was correct? Then you, and I would both be burning in their Hell.

Just because the Bible is right on PLACES doesn't mean the miracles, or claim of God is true? Just because There is an actual Kings Cross in England, that doesn't prove Harry Potter, platform 9 3/4 exist.

They used the illiad to find an acient city too, does that mean the Greek gods exist?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
The bible. Accurate. Have you read it? No really have you actually sat down read it?. Its not only historicaly inaccurate. Its scientifically inaccurate to the point its laughable. Try taking off the god glasses and think as you read it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
First off all, I recommend meeting this person, in person and taking it head on. Bring the letter as a reference, and if you can go through a small list and try to discuss what you can from it and maybe try to debunk some of the god stuff.

At the very least challenge them one why Christianity above all other religions and beliefs.

In short all i can really say is: Speak to them directly, face to face, explain to them your reasoning, and challenge their's and make them do some thinking. Sorry if' that's not much help... or very good at all...
________________________________________________________________________________​________________________________________________________________________________​__

I have one last thing to do here...

(05-09-2012 06:53 PM)Christlover Wrote:  I will pray for you all. God bless!! Smile

I do hope "you all" doesn't include me, just those who previously spoke.

Don't get me wrong you can go do as you please but I'd hate to know that somebody is wasting their time talking to themselves for no reason about me..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
As an ex-Christian, I can tell you it's out of concern. She cares about you, as much as I can tell. She's been brainwashed into a awful religion that basically tells her to believe or suffer, and she is afraid for you. She doesn't see the awful things of her religion like it really is.

It's hard to deal with these things, because if she truly cares about you she will be worried, however trying to prove your side or revealing the negative sides of Christianity as well as the faults can cause drama between friends.

God doesn't exist, your friends prayers won't solve things, and you need to let her know that you think that, but in a way it doesn't create tension or a competition to prove your reality for the truth it is.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 8 users Like Question's post