Advice, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2012, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 07:58 PM by Stark Raving.)
RE: Advice, anyone?
I think it's pretty clear that dream weaver is seeking the advice of like minded people. S/he is looking for support from fellow atheists.

There's plenty of discussions here where debate about religion abound. A Christian would be welcome there. In fact, a first post in our community would be entirely appropriate for a new member should they decide to forgo the introduction thread. This, however, is no such thread.

Making your first post in our community a soapbox session for jeebus is a dick move.

Making it in a thread where it is unwelcome and inappropriate is a super-dick move.

Go elsewhere to preach please.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh, and dream weaver, I'd share my two cents, but Red Tornado already paid for me. If you wanna know what I think, just read her post twice. And I ain't even an ex-Christian!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-09-2012, 07:22 AM
You must be one special person for your friend to come to you to talk about Christ. She is concern for your soul and she care a lot about you.

So don't think of it as preaching... Everytime someone want to talk to you about Christ is not preaching... don't always look for the bad in it.... try to look for the good.

It seem that most of the conversation on the site are very negative thought.... From the outside looking in.. make you not want to be an Atheist... it seem that most that respond on the site are either angry at someone or just misery.

But I know a God that could help you with that..his name is JESUS.

AmenAngel

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-09-2012, 07:25 AM
(06-09-2012 07:22 AM)Ambassador of Christ Wrote:  But I know a God that could help you with that..his name is JESUS.

I'd rather be friends with Zeus.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
06-09-2012, 08:48 AM
(06-09-2012 07:25 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(06-09-2012 07:22 AM)Ambassador of Christ Wrote:  But I know a God that could help you with that..his name is JESUS.

Have you accepted Zeus into your heart yet? Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
DreamWeaver,

Here is an article I wrote a ways back on my wife's experience coming out as an atheist to her friends and confronting her loss of faith.

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/04/...n.html?m=1

I hope this can help show the process does end, but it is a process...

Sean

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
(05-09-2012 02:51 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  I just don't know how to respond to her. I want to let her know that I apperciate her concern but I also don't want to be preached to. I don't really want to outright tell her that I don't believe in any of this and won't ever because she's a really good friend of mine who's a really kind person despite being religious.

She possibly had to write it down so she wouldn't miss telling you each detail. So, I see nothing wrong with responding to her in depth with your personal view. It's possible she does care about you, but often people can become quite possessive while caring about someone.

Someone who tells you they love you and care about you no matter what is a beautiful thing, and it's easy to love them back. Someone who tells you they love you and care about you as long as you __________. Not quite a balance relationship there.

Try 2 things; write her a letter, be positive but keep it as in depth as she made her letter. Then, prepare to respond to her in person - memorize the points in the prepared letter, just to keep things in mind.

Then just ask her if she would like a response in person, or in a letter. If she says she would like to talk about it, then you are prepared and things should go well; you are just telling her about yourself, so it should strengthen your relationship. If during the discussion her head starts exploding and she tries to back out, just hand her the letter. Maybe she'll be able to absorb it all in a letter -some people feel more comfortable doing that.

It seems as if she had to write it all down because she was unsure of something. It's possible she's trying to convince herself and if enough people jump on her bandwagon, it will help her feel better about being in the club. I'm sure she cares about you, but she's in that world where her naiveté is accepted - you know - the world of illusion; Christee Land. In that world, you're allowed to threaten people with eternal damnation, as long as you do it in a caring, loving way.

Pay no attention to that last bit. The influx of Christees here is ridiculous... and I haven't had my coffee yet. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-09-2012, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 10:28 AM by DLJ.)
(05-09-2012 06:53 PM)Christlover Wrote:  As a Christian, your friend cares about you. [Nice start]
To her, it wasn't a threat, it [your non-belief] is a possibility, which might worry her about you.
She does care and she wants you to believe too and see for yourself just how [in her opinion] amazing God is.
While we are told to make disciples of all nations by the Lord Jesus Christ, [fortunately for humanity and the future of civilisation] we are not told to push Jesus onto other people; we tell people about what will happen if they do not accept Christ [even though we have to be sensitve that a rational mind will find this threatening and absurd].
We do this in love and care [ironically].

As a Christian, [Editor's note: Oh so tempting to add vid of Jim Jeffreys "as a hypocrite" but resisted (get behind me Satan)] I know I'll get a lot of flack, but it'll be worth it, because I got to help God [cos he/she needs my help (being not so omnipotent as he/she used to be) and my money].
I think of it as unfair when someone can make a joke about God and get away with it [and therefore by extension would uphold blasphemy laws which are causing so much misery and death in Muslim countries?].
It's like someone you don't know telling jokes about someone you love very much [I know this an irrational, emotional response and betrays us for the primates that we are but it still a real reaction for me].
It's [believed], that those who don't know Christ will go to hell, so it was nice of your friend to let you know what can happen.
Someone told me that she'd rather believe in God and find out she was wrong than to not believe in God and not see her loved ones in heaven. I definitely agree with this [even though I understand Pascal's Wager and see the flaw in that argument].
The Smithsonian Museum uses the Bible as historical information--meaning that it is [historical information].

[The god concept] is real whether people want to accept it or not. [I believe] he is not a mean God [because, according to our faith], he sent his son down to earth to pay for our sins--that's how much he loved us [although I do understand that nowadays, vicarious redemption through human sacrifice is general viewed as immoral but it gives me comfort]. I know people will say that it's not possible, but [if you accept the premise of an all-powerful (except when he needs my help) supernatural entity] it is for God. All things are possible for God [if you follow the previous logic]. He is the Creator of all [except everything that was created naturally or by mankind], and we will see one day that heaven and hell are real[ly just old-fashioned ways to incentivise fearful primates].

I hope everything goes well for you all Smile
I will [think of] you all. Godless!! Smile

Hi Christ over,
I've edited a little to bring your message up-to-date (by a couple of thousand years).
No need to thank me. Anytime.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
06-09-2012, 10:25 AM
She wants you to stop thinking fo rthe rest of your life... well that is really hard. Thinking is highly adddictive, once you start it's really hard to get of the bandwagon. Sure every now and then someone manages to do th impossible and stop thinking, but for the rest of us we're stuck. We have to use logic instead of blindly following a skydaddy.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
(06-09-2012 07:25 AM)frankiej Wrote:  

What? You'd rather be friends with this

[Image: zeus.jpg]

over this?

[Image: images-of-jesus-christ-193.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post