Advice from teachers please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Advice from teachers please
I just finished teaching yet another class and I find that my enthusiasm and pep is waning. Any advice on how to keep interested when the subject matter is old hat for you? Undecided

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Advice from teachers please
I take an interest in the pupils. I make a point to inspire them. How can I do that? I really have to think about it sometimes. The important thing is it's about them, not me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
16-06-2016, 07:36 PM
(16-06-2016 07:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I take an interest in the pupils. I make a point to inspire them. How can I do that? I really have to think about it sometimes. The important thing is it's about them, not me.

Thanks. I suppose it’s all about the perspective.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-06-2016, 07:37 PM
I think so.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-06-2016, 08:08 PM
(16-06-2016 07:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I just finished teaching yet another class and I find that my enthusiasm and pep is waning. Any advice on how to keep interested when the subject matter is old hat for you? Undecided

Nothing legal.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Bring in new materials? View a movie that relates to the topic and discuss it?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-06-2016, 08:22 PM
What course are you teaching?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
16-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Come up with a bunch of clever puns and magic tricks that relate to the course material. Everyone likes magic tricks.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
16-06-2016, 08:28 PM
In the teaching class we all had to do, the professor was always bright and perky. "How do you do it Dr. H?" we would ask. She replied with a smile, "I fake it if I don't feel it. Half of this job is sometimes acting." So one could take that approach and try to ignore the burnout or lack of pep, but really, Banjo it it square on the nose, I think.

Personally I've done seven Intro classes in the past two semesters...least favorite class to teach. However, trying to find ways to make the material relateable to the students, trying to see that lightbulb go off and then see them react with some excitement to the material and hopefully foster some sort of desire to learn more, to maybe do more than they intended to do in the class and outside of it with their future plans, that's the really amazing thing.

That said, find a way to take care of you, too. Maybe take a day once in a while to de-stress some, do something you enjoy or look at other subjects. It might be interesting to see how your own subject area jumps back out at you unintended and maybe reignites some of the fire. Hope you find that zest for the subject again though, whether in something about it you enjoy on your own, or as a result of wanting to help your students better themselves.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
16-06-2016, 08:53 PM
One thing I did was to switch the order in which the different aspects were taught. In Geometry class, for instance, once the basic theorems were laid out, I could go straight to parallel line postulate, or congruence, or reductio ad absurdum (what, at that level, is called indirect proof). In Physics classes, I always had fun. In Thermodynamics, I set things on fire. In Electricity and Magnetism I could levitate stuff or interfere with expected motion. You have to have something that excites you about what you are teaching that comes from what you see when doing research.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post