Advice needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2016, 05:04 PM
RE: Advice needed
Banjo, I've grown to respect your opinion. Maybe your right. Just wish I had a perfect reply of wisely crafted words of truth and facts I could leave em with. Guess thats my anger stage talking/wishing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2016, 05:29 PM
(23-06-2016 05:04 PM)Cuda12 Wrote:  Banjo, I've grown to respect your opinion. Maybe your right. Just wish I had a perfect reply of wisely crafted words of truth and facts I could leave em with. Guess thats my anger stage talking/wishing.

Pick your targets. Otherwise you'll get shot down.

A fool has more questions than a professor has answers.

Thanks for the compliment. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-06-2016, 06:12 PM
(23-06-2016 03:50 PM)Cuda12 Wrote:  Dont reply and let it go or?

Hi all, new member here. New to what I now know what I am, an atheist. Have learned more by reading here the past year than in 55 years of my life, so thank you.

I've gone from, like most when confronted with believers and their beliefs and level of indoctrination, keeping my mouth shut to speaking out. (probably not wise I know), but after being lied to so long and now have knowledge to counter the lies I feel a lil empowered to confront.

A few months ago my 1st cousin's son and wife gave birth to a baby boy with a brain tumor. The chils passed recently unfortunately. During and after this time I awoke every morning to post after post of, mysterious ways, gods plan, god had a better purpose etc... (all of em deeply indoctrinated southern baptist, Texas).

What got to me most was all these thank yous and praises to god every day and not 1 ty to or for the hospital and medical staff for baby Kade! So one day I spoke up, added a simple thank you to the team of Dr's and nurses who sacrificed their time, knowledge, skill, and dedication.

I was attacked by a few with god guided them retorts, because god, blah, blah, blah. So I read here extensively and responded with Genesis, dna findings, contradictions, Exodus and the facts that refute that myth, the Ark, provided peer reviewed findings on the power of prayer, then steered into ID...the human body, useless appendages, oxegen, digestion, waste disposal, then into animals, the rabbit and panda...the Earth, water we cant drink, sun causing cancer, leprosy, catarachs, etc...then the universe, vastness, zillions of planets but Earth solely made just for us by god and how unreasonable that is,

They said I was a perfect example of Satan working through me. :-(

This morning I woke to this and I dont know if I should just close the book, walk away and say I tried or to respond...I'd love to respond but I'm not as well versed and a horrible debater, not sure if I would dig a deeper hole or ?

Here is a response I woke to: You copy and pasting stuff doesn't make it true I could do that as well as a believer I will prove you are wrong and then ask you to disprove me as well. Scientists have found a hidden message in DNA code that reads translated from the original text where we got our language from it reads "God eternal within the body" that is something that cannot be manipulated or changed and the fact that it reads that proves a figure above us created us. You honestly believe the big bang happened? That is such bogus if it happened a higher being had to have perfectly set it for all the stuff around us to be perfectly placed sun etc. The comparison to chimps was disproven because the similarities they thought were wrong so that theory is out the window the theory of evolution is gone cause it was disproven as well. You have nothing but basically atheists on the last leg trying to disprove something that does exist a FYI to they found Jesus's tomb and found a lylon cloth. God is real buddy hate to spoil your non beliefs but also you must be okay with sex outside marriage well that is a big reason STD's exist if people were faithful to ONE person that wouldn't be a issue crime rates would drop and people's morals would be better also where did good morals come from also why are the laws we have so similar to the bible remember bible is estimated to be 2000 years old well before any law existed so wise guy come on I just disproved all you said and the mitochondria DNA you spoke of they never did it. You believe in oxygen yet you cannot see it but you have a hard time believing in a higher being? That makes no sense. You also realize they tested prayer the pyscological effects of it and proved that during prayer people enter into a trance that scientists cannot explain if you wanna vouch 100% in science go for it but when I am a faith believer myself and know more about the scientific basis on this topic then you that's bad dude you need to really educate yourself on this issue god bless cause you definitely need it.

Ok so: For starters I never asked for anybody to approve what I wrote/provided, I just left info and evidence, (links) to bolster my stance. (the theory of evolution has been disproven?), dna has words coded in it?, found jesus tomb!?, with a loin cloth to add to that claim?, morals, (i explained morals were: Morality is a product of empathy, a natural evolutionary propensity that aids in survival. If you lack morality it isn't because you lack religion, it's because you lack empathy. People are good in spite of religion, not because of it). STDs outside marriage?

So advice time, let it go or can anyone provide me with the proper way to reply? I'd love to burst his bubble he desearves it I feel, whats your thoughts or advice, help?

One lady left this message: The above statements by Mr. (My name)show satan's work at it's finest. Yes, people were destroyed because they rebelled against God, and they received the punishment that they had been inflicting on others. The captive women were never referred to as sexual objects. They probably eventually married the Israelites and were given all the rights of a wife. There is no indication that rape or sex slavery was forced on these women. The Bible condemns rape and even advocates the death penalty for rapists. Also, Jesus did exist, and yes he was fully human, but he was also fully God. The apostles of Jesus did not die horrendous deaths because they would not deny a myth. I will be praying for Mr. (my name).

Ugh :-(

Thank you all for listening.

Whoever it was that wrote all that to you has caused my brain to overload and crash.

I'm not sure I can reply, but I'll ponder it for a bit. Either way, I'm glad you found this forum. Sounds like you could use some level headed conversation in your life. Hug
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
23-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Have admired you as well Aliza so yes, if youwould like to help that would be greatly appreciated and I'd be honored. I know he's fos, I'm just not confident enough, nor experienced enough to do so at this stage.
[+] 1 user Likes Cuda12's post
23-06-2016, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2016 02:53 PM by DLJ.)
(23-06-2016 03:50 PM)Cuda12 Wrote:  ...
So advice time, let it go or can anyone provide me with the proper way to reply? I'd love to burst his bubble he deserves it I feel, what's your thoughts or advice, help?

It depends upon your objective and how much you care about the feelings of the other person.

Sticking a pin in their bubble might get them to start facing reality or it might make them run for cover or build new defenses.

When you're going through the anger ("why did they lie to me?") phase, there's a natural desire to lash out to make yourself feel better. That's fine and dandy if these people don't matter to you and you aren't concerned about the damage they can do to people around them once they feel backed into a corner ... do you really want to create yet another self-hating religious fanatic?

A dam bursts with cataclysmic results but you don't have to destroy the whole dam, you just have to make a very small crack and let time do the rest.

If you can see these people as victims of memetic traditions and you really want to change them you need to arm yourself with pins not grenades.

We all enjoy the instant gratification of a grenade but the effects can be scary.

Example:

Damn! That feels good for a few minutes but if you're still enjoying it after 40 minutes you should worry about your own humanity.

It takes time to get beyond the anger. It takes time to heal.

Later, you can start thinking about what you want to do to help make the world the kind of place in which you want to live.

Perhaps you want these people to be rational, logical, science-literate comrades on a journey to enlightenment (or maybe that's just me Blush ) and if so the Street Epistemology approach could work for you.

Here's a flow diagram...
[Image: StreetEpistemology_ProcessFlowChart.png]

No one turns into Socrates over night but the questions on the right of the diagram might be useful.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-06-2016, 07:44 PM
(23-06-2016 03:50 PM)Cuda12 Wrote:  They said I was a perfect example of Satan working through me. :-(

Woo hoo! You got a badge! Seriously, you have to treat insults from halfwits like that as compliments. The proper translation is apparently that you acted like a decent human being and they can't abide that.

As for the rest, it's complete and utter horseshit. Much of it was such drivel that it was difficult to follow. I'll echo what a lot of people have already said and suggest you simply ignore it. I understand the urge to shout that down but you'll find that it's unrewarding. That person is so much more talented at being a jackass than you could ever hope to manage.

[Image: 7881dcfac99b181d0aec776c14e138720aa5abb7...3688_1.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Thats true and I agree DLJ. You all have made me a better person just reading here. My intent was to show them truths. I was mad yes, a result of the infants tumor and subsequent death. Mad because they excused it praising god, he designed it, had a better use for him, make the grieving parents stronger...ugh :-( No if I'm to reply, I'd like it to be with truths, truths I can provide proofs and links. I provided in my initial reply/comment/s. What I got in return was his claims without evidence nor links and claims so pepostrrous even a simpleton like myself knew he was fos.

I just want to politely present truths.

I know I need healing, have found a great deal here among you members. Thank you.

I will save and look over your diagram here in a few and watch recommended video, ty!
[+] 1 user Likes Cuda12's post
23-06-2016, 07:51 PM
It really sucks that the religious zealots see giving credit to the medical personnel as a negative thing. Maybe the only way they can deal with this tragic situation is to hand it over to fantasy and magic.

Makes me nuts.

You are right to give credit to the medical staff. There wasn't any god who was there trying to help, it was real people using all the knowledge and compassion they had to do the best they could.

Irritates me to no end that the same people who sing praises to their god over things like this never seem to see that (by their line of thinking) that same god is also responsible. Let us pray to the jerk who caused this...smh

And, I am sorry to hear of your family's loss and the difficult times leading up to and following it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Ty Anjele and Paleo
24-06-2016, 05:38 AM
These two :

(23-06-2016 03:50 PM)Cuda12 Wrote:  Scientists have found a hidden message in DNA code that reads translated from the original text where we got our language from it reads "God eternal within the body" that is something that cannot be manipulated or changed and the fact that it reads that proves a figure above us created us.

ONE person that wouldn't be a issue crime rates would drop and people's morals would be better also where did good morals come from also why are the laws we have so similar to the bible remember bible is estimated to be 2000 years old well before any law existed so wise guy come on I just disproved all you said and the mitochondria DNA you spoke of they never did it.

Oh man, I would nail him to a fucking cross for this stupidity. This is just blatant ignorance.

Probably a dismissive response is best. This level of ignorance is beyond help.

Very frustrating, my former best friend was an ardent young earth creationist. This type of biblical stupidity was one of the reasons I rejected Christianity, you just can't reconcile it with science.

My former friend reconciled his cognitive dissonance by denigrating scientists and science in general. Every time he did, it was a tacit admission that he knew scientific evidence didn't validate his world view, so he reacts by being derogatory to anything that didn't go along with this silly world view.

He turned his passive-aggressive denigration towards me and my family, I then told him to fuck off.

Sometimes you just can't salvage relationships that are so embedded in this mythology.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition