Advice needed on a somewhat anti-Christian con scenario...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Advice needed on a somewhat anti-Christian con scenario...
I tried to make the title as useful as possible so people didn't click on this and hate me.

Warning: Extreme nerdiness to follow:

Every two weeks, I like to play god. The best part about playing god is fooling my players into believing they have free will. I also write about 4 or 5 con scenarios a year. For those of you not familiar with the world of pen and paper rpgs, a con scenario is a game for a convention, it's usually 3 hours long and run for 5 or 6 complete strangers. So here is my dilemma.

I have recently penned a con scenario (a roleplaying game) based on Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity". If you haven't read that particular one, The End of Eternity is about an organisation called Eternity that exists outside time and which doctors history (by going back and fixing things, like stopping Hitler's rise to power).

So for the game, the players take on the role of Eternals. Their particular mission: To stop the rise of Christianity and thereby avoid (at least in Eternity's view) a lot of historical wank. I'm still working on the details here, so any ideas would be welcome, but my biggest worry is that any Christians who unwittingly sign up for this game might find the idea horribly offensive. Especially since hanging around 33 AD to stop Jesus being crucified will result in them finding a "horrible" truth: There was no Jesus.

Now I can get away with a lot with this "alternate universe" cop-out, but still. How offensive do you think this is? Would you scrap the idea completely if you were me?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Advice needed on a somewhat anti-Christian con scenario...
(03-02-2012 06:54 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  So for the game, the players take on the role of Eternals. Their particular mission: To stop the rise of Christianity and thereby avoid (at least in Eternity's view) a lot of historical wank. I'm still working on the details here, so any ideas would be welcome, but my biggest worry is that any Christians who unwittingly sign up for this game might find the idea horribly offensive. Especially since hanging around 33 AD to stop Jesus being crucified will result in them finding a "horrible" truth: There was no Jesus.

Now I can get away with a lot with this "alternate universe" cop-out, but still. How offensive do you think this is? Would you scrap the idea completely if you were me?

Just do it. It's an alternate reality - not a cop-out.

If someone is bothered, remind them that it is a FANTASY GAME, and to just get over it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2012, 08:07 AM
People at a con generally don't care. I wouldn't be that worried even the christian con goers tend to leave most things behind when they enter.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
04-02-2012, 06:10 AM
(03-02-2012 08:07 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  People at a con generally don't care. I wouldn't be that worried even the christian con goers tend to leave most things behind when they enter.

True. This is why gamers are awesome people.

Thanks, I will go ahead with the game.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I think it's an awesome idea. Particularly because I'm a big Asimov fan and loved that story. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.
And Lilith is right...when I was a True Believer, I had little difficulty compartmentalizing my theology when it came to rpg's, and basically the topics of fantasy and sci-fi in general.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
(03-02-2012 06:54 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Especially since hanging around 33 AD to stop Jesus being crucified will result in them finding a "horrible" truth: There was no Jesus.

Small correction, but it is believed that if Jesus actually existed, he would have been born between 4-6 BC, so it would actually be around 27-29 AD.

Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist's post
08-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Atheist: it is believed by who apart from christians?

Anyway great idea! Go ahead with it really Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
(08-02-2012 09:14 AM)Leela Wrote:  Atheist: it is believed by who apart from christians?

Wikipedia believes it right in the very first sentence of the The "Jesus" page.

Quote:Jesus of Nazareth (7–2 BC/BCE to 30–36 AD/CE), commonly referred to as Jesus Christ or simply as Jesus or Christ, is the central figure of Christianity and regarded as an important prophet of God in Islam.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
(08-02-2012 09:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 09:14 AM)Leela Wrote:  Atheist: it is believed by who apart from christians?

Wikipedia believes it right in the very first sentence of the The "Jesus" page.

Quote:Jesus of Nazareth (7–2 BC/BCE to 30–36 AD/CE), commonly referred to as Jesus Christ or simply as Jesus or Christ, is the central figure of Christianity and regarded as an important prophet of God in Islam.
Briefly checked the sources, not a lot of science in this wiki article as far as I can see. over 400 sources but the majority of those are not science. "critical historians"? well then who exactly, no names stated, I can't check on it, therefore not valid. For me... but getting too far away from the topic here I think. No offense.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Hmm, wikipedia believes a lot of things Tongue

The research I think is dodgy no matter how we spin it. They will have to make their decisions based on folk tales and hearsay. Maybe they will even find an alternate universe version of this forum, find this conversation, and decide to head back to 33 AD.

I think I'll just shut up now.