Advice on career change.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Heart Advice on career change.
Ok.... for the last 7 years I have been quite "happy" chasing a bin lorry round all day in my job. A few years ago they removed our bonuses (which was £5000 a year) but I decided to stay because whilst money is nice.... its not really a driving force for me and what keeps me doing my job is the fact we work on "task finish" which means as soon as ive done my round im allowed to go home. I get paid for 40 hours per week and it is very rare that I actually work more than 25 hours per week.

In all of these spending cuts they have been making redundancies, whilst my department is not being touched they have offered us the chance to take voluntary redundancy and given us figures for this. If I was to take redundancy I would be entitled to around £7,000.

I have been giving this a lot of thought. We all have to spend a huge majority of our time/life at work and im only 31 so I have got at least another 30 years to go before I can even consider retiring. I see no real career advancement in where I am right now, I have been offered positions numerous times doing a supervisory role but to be honest...... my supervisors dont actually supervise. They spend a lot of time dealing with the public and basicly jump when our big boss tells them to. They are all under a lot of stress to achieve targets (funding, sickness rates etc etc) and Its something I dont want to go back into after having had management experience previously.

I want a more rewarding career, a reason to get out of bed and go to work other than the money side.... and for a few years have considered counselling. I have seen/been through some major tough times throughout my life and I feel that these experiences whilst bad, could be turned into something more positive in the form of empathy and helping people reach their own conclusions on how they want to move forward in more positive ways in their life.

So I have seriously considered applying for voluntary redundancy and taking the money. I have seen a counselling course that I can do from home (with 24/7 telephone tutor support) and also I would like to do a hypnotherapy course as well as it interests me greatly, kind of complimentary with counselling (in the fact it trys to help people) and I could use hypnotherapy as a sideline. With the £7,000 I would pay for both courses and pay my bills upfront for the next 6 months.

What puts me off at the moment is the economy. One of my potential employers... The NHS.... is taking huge cuts in funding so my choices would be limited greatly. If I was to leave my job now it would be a massive risk... with no actual guarantee of a job at the end of it.

So I think I have two options.

1: Take the money and jump both feet first into doing the things I want to do..... work hard and try to make my own oppurtunites.... spurned on by the "danger" of being out of a job.

2: Be more cautious and spend the next few months saving for the counselling course and studying part time.... then rinse and repeating with the hypnotherapy.

Any advice/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
RE: Advice on career change.
I'd be careful giving up your job with the economy as it is. I've got a friend who's spent the last 10 years training to be a psychologist (he'd be an amazing one too) but he's been unable to find a permanent job.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
12-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Become a drug dealer. The demand is always there. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
12-11-2012, 07:31 AM
I won't say it's exactly advice, but if you really want to do it, I think you should give it a try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm sure if it doesn't, you'll be able to get another job that won't really be a reason to get out of bed.
I've tried several things myself and have regretted missed opportunities and choosing-to-play-it-safe situations (still do from time to time), until I settled into what I'm doing now. It's not perfect, but the good far far outweighs the bad.
However, while my first impulse is always an all-or-nothing approach, I'm usually quite cautious, so I would probably choose option two, provided you can save up as much money as you'd get if you were made redundant.
(Oh, and the reason to get out of bed doesn't have to come from your job; but as I'm still working on it, I'm in no position to give advice about that bit).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
(12-11-2012 07:27 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'd be careful giving up your job with the economy as it is. I've got a friend who's spent the last 10 years training to be a psychologist (he'd be an amazing one too) but he's been unable to find a permanent job.
Thats my biggest concern.
(12-11-2012 07:30 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Become a drug dealer. The demand is always there. Wink
There is no money in it unless you go big scale.

(12-11-2012 07:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  I won't say it's exactly advice, but if you really want to do it, I think you should give it a try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm sure if it doesn't, you'll be able to get another job that won't really be a reason to get out of bed.
I've tried several things myself and have regretted missed opportunities and choosing-to-play-it-safe situations (still do from time to time), until I settled into what I'm doing now. It's not perfect, but the good far far outweighs the bad.
However, while my first impulse is always an all-or-nothing approach, I'm usually quite cautious, so I would probably choose option two, provided you can save up as much money as you'd get if you were made redundant.
(Oh, and the reason to get out of bed doesn't have to come from your job; but as I'm still working on it, I'm in no position to give advice about that bit).
Im normally the same. I would like to jump in feet first into this but in this day and age I think anything to do with money has to be examined and given a second, third and fourth thought.

I would only need to save for the course, which would take me a few months.

My reference to getting out of bed..... I do have lots of personal reasons to get out of bed. Its just with regards to work I would rather wake up and think...

"I wonder what people I will meet today? I wonder what problems I will come across and how I can help them see their problems in a different light and from another perspective? How am I going to help them reach their own compromise and solutions"

Rather than...

"I am doing such and such an area, doing such and such streets........ bleh"

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have applied to become a "listening volunteer" with the samaritans (link for those people outside of the UK.... http://www.samaritans.org/ ) and I have been invited to an open day on the 3rd December. I feel that if im accepted that this will give me a good insight, partly, into what I will be getting myself into.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
12-11-2012, 08:50 AM
(12-11-2012 08:48 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 07:27 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'd be careful giving up your job with the economy as it is. I've got a friend who's spent the last 10 years training to be a psychologist (he'd be an amazing one too) but he's been unable to find a permanent job.
Thats my biggest concern.
(12-11-2012 07:30 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Become a drug dealer. The demand is always there. Wink
There is no money in it unless you go big scale.

(12-11-2012 07:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  I won't say it's exactly advice, but if you really want to do it, I think you should give it a try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm sure if it doesn't, you'll be able to get another job that won't really be a reason to get out of bed.
Im normally the same. I would like to jump in feet first into this but in this day and age I think anything to do with money has to be examined and given a second, third and fourth thought.

My reference to getting out of bed..... I do have lots of personal reasons to get out of bed. Its just with regards to work I would rather wake up and think...

"I wonder what people I will meet today? I wonder what problems I will come across and how I can help them see their problems in a different light and from another perspective? How am I going to help them reach their own compromise and solutions"

Rather than...

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have applied to become a "listening volunteer" with the samaritans (link for those people outside of the UK.... http://www.samaritans.org/ ) and I have been invited to an open day on the 3rd December. I feel that if im accepted that this will give me a good insight, partly, into what I will be getting myself into.
It sounds to me like you could be going to school part time right now.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2012, 08:54 AM
(12-11-2012 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  It sounds to me like you could be going to school part time right now.
If the Samaritans accept me then I hope this is the case, yes Yes

They do a two month training course first....so hopefully I will learn some valuable skills doing it.

Jesus Jones
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
(12-11-2012 08:48 AM)bemore Wrote:  Im normally the same. I would like to jump in feet first into this but in this day and age I think anything to do with money has to be examined and given a second, third and fourth thought.

Rather than...

Definitely give the volunteering a try. I used to think I wanted to work (volunteer actually) with mentally disabled kids or adults... until I had a chance to work for a little while (in a totally different capacity) with a group of adults with mental problems and realised it so wasn't for me. I felt like crying half of the time, it was extremely painful just watching them. I know this is selfish, but I just can't handle it.

Actually, volunteering is a good option in and of itself. I've come to realise that not every job can be a calling and something to give our lives meaning, so if a job pays well and gives us enough spare time, it may be worth keeping even if it's not the greatest one if the world (not saying you shouldn't try doing it full time, just something think about if the other plan doesn't work out).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Would you get a severance package if the redundancy was involuntary?

If it is doable, perhaps you could try taking the courses in your off time, while still continuing to work. That way you still have a job, and you could see if counseling was for you. It might be less economically risky than letting go of your current job, and trying for one that may be less of a sure thing than you already have.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd do it! You're still young, you can still afford to make the change. I usually find that a radical change will give you more motivation, instead of staying in the same routine and adding small changes. And it always feels good.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Workout Talk!!! Music? Nutrition? Advice? Weeeeee_Zard 36 1,056 10-06-2014 09:48 PM
Last Post: Cephalotus
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 12 219 07-06-2014 09:08 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Need advice on the future Lightvader 13 166 06-06-2014 11:05 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Online college class and career advice Metazoa Zeke 2 71 02-06-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
Tongue Okay, It's time for an change Alex_Leonardo 6 127 28-05-2014 06:50 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  My new career. Drunkin Druid 11 162 26-05-2014 09:57 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Helping with a personality change. Metazoa Zeke 79 760 24-05-2014 05:52 AM
Last Post: Banjo