Advice on career change.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
RE: Advice on career change.
Not knowing what "redundancy" means in that context, I have questions:

Is there a deadline by which you have to accept this offer?

How often are these offers made? Could you expect another one in the future? Or is your job in jeopardy?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 09:53 AM
(12-11-2012 09:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not knowing what "redundancy" means in that context, I have questions:

How often are these offers made? Could you expect another one in the future? Or is your job in jeopardy?
To explain it simply.

I work for local goverment, they have to save money and this means that they have to lose some job posts/make people unemployed. My department is not under threat of redundancies, they have re-structured the service and managed to cut costs that way.

To slightly alleviate pressure of forced redundancies in my local authority they first offer all people the chance to take voluntary redundancies. The figures they offer (which in my case is around £1000 per year of service) is the same voluntary as it is forced.

I believe the expiration date for my redundancy offer is the the end of this year.... if it will be reviewed/offered again in 2013 im not 100%

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Are you married? Any kids to support? Does anyone other than you rely on you having a steady paycheck? If the answer is "no", then I think you should do it. If the answer is "yes", then maybe you should still do it but you need to understand the implications that stretch beyond you. Once other people rely on you, you become more restricted in what you can do. But, if it's just you, then do it. Don't think twice, don't look back.

I'm rapidly approaching my 44th birthday and I just recently switched jobs. After 20 years in large multinational companies with 100,000 + employees, a month ago I quit my job and left for a company that is just beyond start up mode and has ~200 employees. I'm still feeling my way here but I'm convinced that, while there is significantly more risk where I am now, it was the right thing to do. And, I'm even more convinced that if this doesn't work out and I find myself out of work, I'll land on my feet.

I've spent my entire adult life playing it safe and making decisions based on the impacts of other people. I was even doing that before some of those people were born. I built my early career and my life around the wife I assumed I would one day have and then later on the kids we planned to have. I worked long and hard and climbed up the ladder to the highest reaches of middle management and, looking down from my perch, I can tell you it all means shit. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any regrets. I was able to provide for my wife, my kids, etc., but I don't love what I do and I never have.

There comes a time in your life when your need to be responsible will outweigh your need to do what you want to do. But, if you are single, if no one relies on you but you, then I say take the chance and go do what you want to do and be happy. And, if someone else does rely on you, talk to them about it and what you want to do. Usually, couple and families can find ways to make things work together. No one wants their partner or parent to be unhappy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
12-11-2012, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 10:28 PM by Dark Light.)
Bemore, you lazy bastard! You get paid well for your job, especially considering your work schedule. Your getting paid for nearly twice as much work as you actually do. If anything I would take a second part-time job. Unless you intend to go to a university and get a degree, or some other technical certification, I'd stay put if I could. If you spend another 25 hours/wk working it would help you save up in the event that you are made redundant, and if not, that's just some extra dough to spread around. Also, I'm to lazy to look at the exchange rate but last time I was using euros it was at about 1.30 for ever USD, and I think the British pound was about 1.10 per euro so I am guessing about 1 USD = about 1.40 British pound.

Let us know what you decide on, but my advice, if you wanna' quit being a garbageman, go back to school. Good luck to ya'.

12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
(12-11-2012 09:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not knowing what "redundancy" means in that context, I have questions:

Redundancy is British slang for getting laid off.