Advice on explaining you're gay to Christian Grandparents.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM

RE: Advice on explaining you're gay to Christian Grandparents.
(02-12-2011 02:24 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  How do you think your grandparents will react?

Are they the sort to accept your decision or not?

They are huge Christians, so they won't be pleased.
They will probably kick me out of their house, immediately.
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2011, 02:41 PM
(02-12-2011 02:37 PM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  They are huge Christians, so they won't be pleased.
They will probably kick me out of their house, immediately.

Wait a minute, are you living with your grandparents now?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2011, 02:41 PM

(02-12-2011 02:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Wait a minute, are you living with your grandparents now?

No, but they won't want me to visit for a while.
ಠ_ಠ If ever.
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I just wouldn't tell them.

edit
Definitly don't tell them. What is the reason you want to tell them?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
(02-12-2011 01:38 PM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 01:33 PM)kineo Wrote:  I don't watch the show Glee normally, but my wife was watching an episode last night where this very issue arose. I watched it with her over her shoulder. I want to say it was the most recent episode and in the end the girl told her loved one. No, it didn't end well- but it was scripted and just one possibility. But, you could watch that scene for ideas. I don't know, that could be terrible advice... but maybe it's not.

Actually, I am an absolute Gleek.
I was going to do what Santana did, & just be like:

"I love you, but there is something that I feel you should know. I like girls, the way I'm supposed to like guys."

I don't know, just sounds like a good thing to say.

I dunno, it sounds succinct enough to me- but things are never quite so cut and dry and wrapped up nicely as they are on TV shows. You'll probably have to answer questions, explain yourself, endure some preaching, yadda yadda. It sucks that they're doing that to you. It seems like they should leave that up to you and let you make your own choices about matters that private... but they're going to out you to your grandparents whether you want them to or not.
02-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Seems apparent to me that cytb's parents are acting out like children. What she should do is get an AK-47 and waste the lot of 'em, then move to Europe and become an assassin for hire. Tongue

There ain't no advice here that is "good." I'd let the parental units tell the grandparents, that way the parentals "lose face" for spawning a deviant; but it depends on whether it is a private confessional or a dinner table scandal. Might wanna prepare for the second option - then you can throw down your napkin with a, "I told you that rumor wasn't true! How could you tell them!" and storm off with the appropriate drama, allowing you to marshal your emotional forces for the next counter-offensive.

Family. What joy. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
(02-12-2011 01:53 PM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you have to tell them? Are your parents forcing you to do this? If so, they are being cruel to you and to your grandparents.
Why make everyone uncomfortable or risk destroying relationships for something that is nobody else's damn business?

Tell your parents to butt out.

My parents told me that if I didn't tell my grandparents, that they would. Undecided
I live in their house, follow their rules, & they provide for me.
So I guess that I don't really have a choice.

Yes, you have some choices.
- Let them tell your granparents.
- You tell them, but make it clear that it's under duress.

Have you asked your parents why this has to happen?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Her parents are unpredictable but loyal. They won't allow her Grandparents to continue being unaware of it for too long. And like cytb said, as she lives in their home, follows their rules, and they provide for her, she has no choice but too, because they'll find out anyways. If I were her, I'd much rather tell them myself. But I'm more of an independent person when it comes to relating situations. But as I always say when I'm making a person-to-person comparison, "Maybe it's just me." :|
02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
(02-12-2011 08:21 PM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  Her parents are unpredictable but loyal. They won't allow her Grandparents to continue being unaware of it for too long. And like cytb said, as she lives in their home, follows their rules, and they provide for her, she has no choice but too, because they'll find out anyways. If I were her, I'd much rather tell them myself. But I'm more of an independent person when it comes to relating situations. But as I always say when I'm making a person-to-person comparison, "Maybe it's just me." :|

Seems to me the parents are creating a crisis where there isn't one. You call this loyal? There is no good reason for the parents' behavior.

How about they drop it, and if or when the grandparents ask, they can say "Yes, she's unusual/unique/special/ whatever".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
(02-12-2011 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Seems to me the parents are creating a crisis where there isn't one. You call this loyal? There is no good reason for the parents' behavior.

How about they drop it, and if or when the grandparents ask, they can say "Yes, she's unusual/unique/special/ whatever".

You strike a fair point, but I don't ever see them asking, because currently they clearly think beyond the fact. o:

and you're right, it's just a crisis beginning. But when I said loyal I meant it in term of no-secrets within the family, or something like that. I feel as if they probably do have secrets, because most all families are going to, but her parents aren't going to let this fall lightly, you know? My family on the other hand... kind of the same. But whenever it's drama related, or as "big" (even though it's actually not that big, or surprising of news, this day in time-- or, well, it shouldn't be), it gets around fast, and gets treated pretty largely. That's how I see cytb's situation with her parents. It can start shit, that's why they want the Grandparents aware.