Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 06:32 AM

Wink Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question
Hello all and greetings from Barcelona, Spain!

It's nice to feel at home with like-minded and free-thinking individuals that help us all to have enough wisdom weapons to keep some believers under control ;-)

My question today is (and this is a classic on for me at least, since I have a father who is a pentecostal pastor's best friend):

HOW can we reply when someone tells you "But you mention all these acts of violence and injustice from the Bible but that all belongs to the OLD testament, when Jesus wasn't around yet. The main reason that Jesus came to the Earth was to show his heavenly father how hard it was for this children to live a life of goodness, with all those nasty temptations going around. So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things and since then they were considered a sin, like for instance killing people in the name of God (including children) or have more than one wife, or give your virgin daughters as an offer to a whole town to keep angels undercover. WTF?!

I would really like the perfect reply to this idiotic reasoning. I want it to be good enough to not just make him think, but also, and most of all, to leave me the F*@k alone with religion.

Thank you all and god bless, hahahaah.

Gabs
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
RE: Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question
God is omniscient, therefore he cannot change his mind.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 09:33 AM

(10-11-2011 09:28 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  God is omniscient, therefore he cannot change his mind.

hmm... too easy. I think we wouldn't fall for it. ..but it's a nice start :-) Thank u!
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
BC, you have the old testament.
AD, you have written history.
Comapare the number of dead and the number of times GOD appears in the slogans of armies. Show me the difference from BC to AD; show me the moment of change.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  Hello all and greetings from Barcelona, Spain!

It's nice to feel at home with like-minded and free-thinking individuals that help us all to have enough wisdom weapons to keep some believers under control ;-)

My question today is (and this is a classic on for me at least, since I have a father who is a pentecostal pastor's best friend):

HOW can we reply when someone tells you "But you mention all these acts of violence and injustice from the Bible but that all belongs to the OLD testament, when Jesus wasn't around yet. The main reason that Jesus came to the Earth was to show his heavenly father how hard it was for this children to live a life of goodness, with all those nasty temptations going around. So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things and since then they were considered a sin, like for instance killing people in the name of God (including children) or have more than one wife, or give your virgin daughters as an offer to a whole town to keep angels undercover. WTF?!

I would really like the perfect reply to this idiotic reasoning. I want it to be good enough to not just make him think, but also, and most of all, to leave me the F*@k alone with religion.

Thank you all and god bless, hahahaah.

Gabs

The part ive underlined seems to go against the fact that god is meant to listen to your prayers and knows everything........why would jesus come down to make a report on gods creations.....when god is meant to be watching and know everything???

If he listened to everybodys prayers then he wouldnt need to of sent jesus.....in fact in sending jesus that is admitance that he isnt connected to us.....that he needs to send a third party down to report back to what is going on seems a bit silly.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Ain't no Jesus, it's all YHWH. Besides, back in day, it was cross YHWH and die. Now it's eternal damnation? That is not an improvement. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-11-2011, 01:13 PM
The idea that god would need teaching is contrary to the Bible itself.

Job 21:22: "Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest?"
1 Corinthians 2:16:"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?"
Psalm 147:5: "Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit."
Psalm 139:4:"Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether."

So according to the Bible, god has perfect knowledge of everything, including peple's minds and hearts, and saying he needed Jesus to instruct him goes against it.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 4 users Like sy2502's post
10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  I would really like the perfect reply to this idiotic reasoning. I want it to be good enough to not just make him think, but also, and most of all, to leave me the F*@k alone with religion.

We'd all like a ninja reply like that... I hope you find it... I'd love to have such a thing Big Grin
10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
(10-11-2011 01:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  I would really like the perfect reply to this idiotic reasoning. I want it to be good enough to not just make him think, but also, and most of all, to leave me the F*@k alone with religion.

We'd all like a ninja reply like that... I hope you find it... I'd love to have such a thing Big Grin

Ya gotta be ninja to have ninja reply, grasshopper. Big Grin

Here's one: Acceptance of the Holy Spirit means eternal life is now.

Tell that one to a Christian (even better if it is "enhanced" with the paraphrase of 1 John 4:4 - I believe in the Jesus in you) and it's Game Over. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Try this one

Not a complete "Ninja move" perhaps .... but definitely a Judo trip...

Demanding money with menaces ….

seems to be a speciality with the church…..
This from Acts …

5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
5:7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
5:8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
5:10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
5:11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.
5:12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
5:13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.

So Ananias sold some land and gave half to the church but the church wanted it all.
Seems to be a “Your money or your life “ deal or rather ....your m oney AND your life...… I wonder if Peter wore a mask..

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
[+] 1 user Likes watchman's post