Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
RE: Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question
(10-11-2011 01:13 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  The idea that god would need teaching is contrary to the Bible itself.

Job 21:22: "Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest?"
1 Corinthians 2:16:"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?"
Psalm 147:5: "Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit."
Psalm 139:4:"Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether."

So according to the Bible, god has perfect knowledge of everything, including peple's minds and hearts, and saying he needed Jesus to instruct him goes against it.

I think sy nailed this one.
Keep your answer simple. That prevents a bunch of acrobatics on his part.
Fact is, the bible said god is perfect and all knowing. This morons argument simply does not hold water if the bible is to be trusted. (That means he either admits the bible is errant, or that god is. Either way is a win)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
(10-11-2011 04:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 01:13 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  The idea that god would need teaching is contrary to the Bible itself.

Job 21:22: "Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest?"
1 Corinthians 2:16:"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?"
Psalm 147:5: "Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit."
Psalm 139:4:"Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether."

So according to the Bible, god has perfect knowledge of everything, including peple's minds and hearts, and saying he needed Jesus to instruct him goes against it.

Fact is, the bible said god is perfect and all knowing. This morons argument simply does not hold water if the bible is to be trusted. (That means he either admits the bible is errant, or that god is. Either way is a win)

Yeah, Sy handled it ninja-style. And your assessment is correct. It is my assessment that the ninja is master of many different styles, and that to be ninja is a continual learning process. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
(10-11-2011 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Yeah, Sy handled it ninja-style. And your assessment is correct. It is my assessment that the ninja is master of many different styles, and that to be ninja is a continual learning process. Wink

Thank you, I find that if you can cite the Bible to a Christian to make your point, they are more likely to listen. It doesn't matter that YOU don't believe the Bible, they do and they'll probably give it some thought.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
10-11-2011, 04:53 PM
(10-11-2011 04:48 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Thank you, I find that if you can cite the Bible to a Christian to make your point, they are more likely to listen. It doesn't matter that YOU don't believe the Bible, they do and they'll probably give it some thought.

Bible was never meant to be idolatry. It's poetry - being atheist is merely dismissing divine inspiration of these poets. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-11-2011, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 07:10 PM by cufflink.)
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  "The main reason that Jesus came to the Earth was to show his heavenly father how hard it was for this children to live a life of goodness, with all those nasty temptations going around. So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things and since then they were considered a sin, like for instance killing people in the name of God (including children) or have more than one wife, or give your virgin daughters as an offer to a whole town to keep angels undercover."

Huh? I'm no expert on Christianity, but that's one I never heard of. Jesus came to earth mainly to teach God stuff? Really??? Is that the standard Christian interpretation? It sounds pretty wacky to me. (But most of Christianity sounds wacky to me.) For one thing, aren't Jesus and God supposed to be the same? (John 10:30: "I and my Father are one.") So one part of God is teaching the other part of God? Huh

More importantly: As sy2502 noted, if God needs to be taught anything, he's not God, because the god of Christianity (and Judaism and Islam) is supposed to be omniscient. Sy's quotations should be useful to drive that home.

You might also mention the fact that the NT is much WORSE than the OT in an important respect: In the OT, the violence and cruelty and injustice are awful, but they're at least FINITE: they don't go beyond a person's death. It's the NT that introduces the idea of INFINITE suffering: the "goats" (what's wrong with goats, by the way? I like goats) are separated from the "sheep" and tossed into the Lake of Fire, where there's "wailing and gnashing of teeth" FOREVER. An eternity of unending suffering! I'll take the OT over that any day.

EDIT: Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate under Atheism and Theism? Stark Raving?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
(10-11-2011 07:05 PM)cufflink Wrote:  (John 10:30: "I and my Father are one.")

I and YHWH are one. I am 4. See how nice that works? Obviously, Jesus was an atheist; later, peeps made it into something it wasn't. Wink

10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
(10-11-2011 07:05 PM)cufflink Wrote:  EDIT: Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate under Atheism and Theism? Stark Raving?

Good catch.

Moved.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
(10-11-2011 09:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 07:05 PM)cufflink Wrote:  EDIT: Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate under Atheism and Theism? Stark Raving?

Good catch.

Moved.

See that right there? Forum God, moving in non-mysterious and rational ways...

Theists. Tongue

11-11-2011, 03:17 AM
That seems like a response to something, what did he respond to?
11-11-2011, 08:32 AM
(11-11-2011 03:17 AM)PeterK Wrote:  That seems like a response to something, what did he respond to?

(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  HOW can we reply when someone tells you "But you mention all these acts of violence and injustice from the Bible but that all belongs to the OLD testament, when Jesus wasn't around yet. The main reason that Jesus came to the Earth was to show his heavenly father how hard it was for this children to live a life of goodness, with all those nasty temptations going around. So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things and since then they were considered a sin, like for instance killing people in the name of God (including children) or have more than one wife, or give your virgin daughters as an offer to a whole town to keep angels undercover. WTF?!
Gotta start at the beginning, Pete. Wink