Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2011, 09:32 AM
RE: Advice on how to counteract a classic troll question
I'm going to go with this awsome quote from this comedian George Carlin --

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'till the end of time! . . . But He loves you!"

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ddrew's post
11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
(11-11-2011 09:32 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I'm going to go with this awsome quote from this comedian George Carlin --

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'till the end of time! . . . But He loves you!"

Wow, it's funny in a painful truth kinda way Sad It's literally true that people do believe that...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-11-2011, 05:21 PM
(11-11-2011 09:32 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I'm going to go with this awsome quote from this comedian George Carlin --

I love George Carlin!
For more religious fun, check out his piece on the 10 Commandments. Priceless.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post
07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things

Isn't god omnipotent? How does god not understand something? Especially if he created everything.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
(07-12-2011 09:20 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 06:32 AM)gabstar Wrote:  So, when Jesus died, God understood a lot of things

Isn't god omnipotent? How does god not understand something? Especially if he created everything.

And it is not like suffering stopped with Jesus. Keep in mind the whole apocalypse thing that is still to come.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
(07-12-2011 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Keep in mind the whole apocalypse thing that is still to come.

Or not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Touche Chas....touche

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Jesus endorsed the old testament, but referred to it not as "The Old Testament" but as "the law". Why? Because this division that we see now - Old Testament/New Testament - was wrought by King James when he created his bible. Chapters and verses and such were added later, and so was this distinction. Jesus didn't do away with the Old Testament or any part of it because to him it was all "the bible".

The bible never makes any distinctions between "old" or "new" commands. Nor should apologists be allowed to do this, either.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
08-12-2011, 01:28 AM
It is amazing how Christians still use the "that's the old testament" card.

Anyway, here are another verses to keep in mind that the OT is not ignored by the NT.

Mathew:

5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke:

16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

1 Chronicles:

16:15 Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;
16:16 Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;

Psalm 119:

119:151 Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
119:152 Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them forever.
119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth forever.

Again, it seems that being a christian for about 8 years before turning into an atheist is usefull, specially in debates with apologists. Big Grin

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
08-12-2011, 01:35 AM
(07-12-2011 10:41 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Jesus endorsed the old testament, but referred to it not as "The Old Testament" but as "the law". Why? Because this division that we see now - Old Testament/New Testament - was wrought by King James when he created his bible. Chapters and verses and such were added later, and so was this distinction. Jesus didn't do away with the Old Testament or any part of it because to him it was all "the bible".

The bible never makes any distinctions between "old" or "new" commands. Nor should apologists be allowed to do this, either.

Yes, and no matter what Christians or the theologists or apologists say, they can't deny that Jesus said in their holy book: Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Jesus was long dead (if he ever lived) before the Romans constructed their Christianity, so Jesus lived with the OT, preached the OT, breathed the OT.

It's the silly modern Christians who believe that everything changed with the NT and that god is now sweetness and love. Christians need to remember that God is unchangeable, God said that himself. He'll always be a horrible, judgemental, violent being. Only if you believe in him, of course.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 2 users Like Organon's post