Advice on starting a blog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Advice on starting a blog
I'm tempted to start blogging. (Doesn't even sound like a real word to me.) Big Grin

I'd like to know what yall think about using one's real name. I've seen many where the author does use their name. I, however, rarely use my real name on the internet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2015, 08:20 PM
RE: Advice on starting a blog
Why would you want to use your real name? Seems like an unnecessary invitation to trouble. Consider

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2015, 08:24 PM
True... I hope one day to get things published. Right now I need critiques to improve. I mean, I'm happy with what I write, but I'm sure I could do better. Before I submit things to magazines and what not, I'd like to hear other opinions.
14-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Blogging's for people who overshare. Is that you? Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Lol! I don't think so. I never show anyone my stuff. I'm just not sure how to go about getting different opinions.
14-10-2015, 08:30 PM
It's pretty difficult to come up with a unique name for a blog.
14-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Start off under a pseudonym. Then if the endeavor fails, you can just pretend the whole thing never happened, and start over with a new alias. Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
14-10-2015, 09:12 PM
(14-10-2015 08:17 PM)mecanna Wrote:  I'm tempted to start blogging. (Doesn't even sound like a real word to me.) Big Grin

I'd like to know what yall think about using one's real name. I've seen many where the author does use their name. I, however, rarely use my real name on the internet.

Depends on your situation, and age. I've seen many a blogger dismantled in a non-friendly way. If you are new to the internet, or very young, you may not have had your hide scorched/bitten enough to be able to fend off the flamers and jackals. I use a different handle just about everywhere I go, but a determined person might be able to track down the real me. If someone tries to get at me for what I say on the internet, and can track me down, I will only say that my lawyers are quite likely better than theirs. Angel People like PZ Meyers have a pile of cred, but still get harassed, badly, by crazies. Check out Pharyngula. I will, however, admit that most people on the internet won't harass you all that much IRL. GL with your endeavor.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-10-2015, 09:39 PM
I think starting a blog is a great idea. I don't think you need to use your real name if you don't want to. Good luck!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Depends on what you'll blog about and your situation. presume you'll blog about atheism or other controversial topics and you live in a very conservative city/state/whatever.
Assume you'll get popular. When someone searched about whatever your blog will be about, you'll be in the first 5 results or something. Say you'll apply for a job in the future, and your future boss does an internet search. What if that boss is some kind of conservative dick and won't choose you because of your views(of course he won't tell you it's because of that, he'll just tell you you ain't suited. Maybe he isn't even consciously making the decision not to choose you because of your views, maybe he's subconsciously marking you as undesirable or something)
If you're gonna blog about food, your daily life, sports, whatever, go for it. Or whatever, I'm just rambling.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post