Advice on starting a blog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 09:43 PM
RE: Advice on starting a blog
On many blogs (wordpress, blogger) you can pretty easily change your username.

You can start off with a username and change it to your real name if it becomes popular.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-10-2015, 10:38 PM
(14-10-2015 09:40 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Depends on what you'll blog about and your situation. presume you'll blog about atheism or other controversial topics and you live in a very conservative city/state/whatever.
Assume you'll get popular. When someone searched about whatever your blog will be about, you'll be in the first 5 results or something. Say you'll apply for a job in the future, and your future boss does an internet search. What if that boss is some kind of conservative dick and won't choose you because of your views(of course he won't tell you it's because of that, he'll just tell you you ain't suited. Maybe he isn't even consciously making the decision not to choose you because of your views, maybe he's subconsciously marking you as undesirable or something)
If you're gonna blog about food, your daily life, sports, whatever, go for it. Or whatever, I'm just rambling.

I think that it may be important where you are from. Lightvader, if you don't want to say, that is fine, and I understand, believe me, and for pretty much the same reasons.
14-10-2015, 11:30 PM
(14-10-2015 10:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 09:40 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Depends on what you'll blog about and your situation. presume you'll blog about atheism or other controversial topics and you live in a very conservative city/state/whatever.
Assume you'll get popular. When someone searched about whatever your blog will be about, you'll be in the first 5 results or something. Say you'll apply for a job in the future, and your future boss does an internet search. What if that boss is some kind of conservative dick and won't choose you because of your views(of course he won't tell you it's because of that, he'll just tell you you ain't suited. Maybe he isn't even consciously making the decision not to choose you because of your views, maybe he's subconsciously marking you as undesirable or something)
If you're gonna blog about food, your daily life, sports, whatever, go for it. Or whatever, I'm just rambling.

I think that it may be important where you are from. Lightvader, if you don't want to say, that is fine, and I understand, believe me, and for pretty much the same reasons.

What is it that I do not want to say or what do you think I don't want to say? Consider

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
15-10-2015, 09:16 AM
(14-10-2015 11:30 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think that it may be important where you are from. Lightvader, if you don't want to say, that is fine, and I understand, believe me, and for pretty much the same reasons.

What is it that I do not want to say or what do you think I don't want to say? Consider

Whatever I was thinking last night, completely escapes me now. Facepalm
15-10-2015, 09:20 AM
(15-10-2015 09:16 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 11:30 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  What is it that I do not want to say or what do you think I don't want to say? Consider

Whatever I was thinking last night, completely escapes me now. Facepalm
Lol happens to the best of us. Were you by any chance high and/or drunk?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
15-10-2015, 12:22 PM
(15-10-2015 09:20 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:16 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Whatever I was thinking last night, completely escapes me now. Facepalm
Lol happens to the best of us. Were you by any chance high and/or drunk?

No, just close to bed time. My wife can ask me anything when I'm ready to go to sleep, and I will have no recall of the conversation in the morning. No drugs required, just fatigue. She, otoh, has the same issue, but it is in the morning before she is fully awake, like half hour or something.
15-10-2015, 02:17 PM
(14-10-2015 08:24 PM)mecanna Wrote:  True... I hope one day to get things published. Right now I need critiques to improve. I mean, I'm happy with what I write, but I'm sure I could do better. Before I submit things to magazines and what not, I'd like to hear other opinions.

Check Craigslist or Meetup for a writers group near you would be my advice. Not only will you get your own work critiqued, you will improve by reading other writers' work and trying to figure out how to make it better. Or start a writers' group.

There are some online writers' groups, but I think that it's more helpful to have real people sitting in the room.

(I'm a published writer and used to teach essay writing at the college level, although now I write just for fun and not profit)

A blog can be a good place to build discipline, if you post frequently, but I'm not sure that the feedback is that helpful in terms of improving writing quality or marketing your work.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks all, for the advice. While in-person groups would be best, I sometimes have issues socializing. I don't know, maybe I can give that another try. But first, I'll search for some online groups. Smile
15-10-2015, 08:44 PM
(15-10-2015 08:23 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Thanks all, for the advice. While in-person groups would be best, I sometimes have issues socializing. I don't know, maybe I can give that another try. But first, I'll search for some online groups. Smile

Why not take a writing class? Either college level or at a community/rec center. I know they have writing classes at the rec center near me and they are very reasonably priced.

You could also post a thread on here and we can read some of your stuff Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-10-2015, 08:20 AM
I'll look into local classes. There's a university in town so maybe there's something. I took a few advanced English courses way back when, but of course didn't learn how to get started writing in the real world.

I think I prefer anonymity with stuff so I don't run people off. Or get reported.. or told I need mental help. Lol