Advice on starting a blog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 08:43 AM
RE: Advice on starting a blog
(16-10-2015 08:20 AM)mecanna Wrote:  I'll look into local classes. There's a university in town so maybe there's something. I took a few advanced English courses way back when, but of course didn't learn how to get started writing in the real world.

I think I prefer anonymity with stuff so I don't run people off. Or get reported.. or told I need mental help. Lol

They like weird and different and unique in writing classes. I don't think you'd run anyone off. Tongue In one of my creative writing classes, a 70 year old man (who happened to be writing a romance novel) read us the "scenes" from his book (which were pretty graphic btw lol). Nobody batted an eyelash. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Hey, erotica is always fun. Wink "Running people off" would more apply to starting a thread here. Gotta keep up the pretense that I'm not a complete dipshit. Cool
16-10-2015, 12:20 PM
(16-10-2015 12:07 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Hey, erotica is always fun. Wink "Running people off" would more apply to starting a thread here. Gotta keep up the pretense that I'm not a complete dipshit. Cool

Oh come on, you're awesome. Smile No one would think that. You have a lot of interesting things to say and you're funny. I say go for it! Tongue
24-10-2015, 09:07 AM
So I found this

http://www.muw.edu/as/llp/english/graduate

It's a new program that wasn't offered when I attended a million years ago.It's the only class type deal I could find that's close enough to attend.

Which seems interesting. However, it says that applicants are required to have a bachelor in something. Sad I would suppose that there's no point in applying if I don't meet the requirements. Off to search some more!
24-10-2015, 09:15 AM
(24-10-2015 09:07 AM)mecanna Wrote:  So I found this

It's a new program that wasn't offered when I attended a million years ago.It's the only class type deal I could find that's close enough to attend.

Which seems interesting. However, it says that applicants are required to have a bachelor in something. Sad I would suppose that there's no point in applying if I don't meet the requirements. Off to search some more!

I don't have a bachelor's degree, and I applied to and was accepted at four MFA graduate programs. I chose one of them and got my MFA and taught college after that--still without a BA.

If your writing samples are strong enough, lack of a bachelor's is not a deal breaker. It never hurts to apply and see what happens.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
24-10-2015, 09:30 AM
(24-10-2015 09:07 AM)mecanna Wrote:  So I found this

Do they offer an undergrad program in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing? If you can't get into the masters program--you could also go that route.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-10-2015, 07:22 AM
They do have English, but with an emphasis on teaching. This school is known for it's teaching and nursing programs. I also don't think I have the time (or money) to get into regular classes.

I might go with julep's idea, and apply to that program anyway.
[+] 2 users Like mecanna's post
25-10-2015, 08:40 AM
(25-10-2015 07:22 AM)mecanna Wrote:  They do have English, but with an emphasis on teaching. This school is known for it's teaching and nursing programs. I also don't think I have the time (or money) to get into regular classes.

I might go with julep's idea, and apply to that program anyway.

You should definitely give it a try. Good luck!