Advice on this situation with my wife...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Advice on this situation with my wife...
Thanks Thump. Good to see you around too. Smile I'm just here for the free cookies and pleasant conversation Wink Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
As always, thank you all for your thoughts as I'm very new to this.

OC: This might sound weird as I grew up in Missouri and Texas, (both very religious states) and attended the Catholic church through high school, but none of my friends or close family ever took religion seriously. It was not a topic of discussion from any of my friends, my mom (who I know now is an atheist) and dad never spoke about God/Jesus or anything at home, we didn't say grace, we didn't pray, nothing. So when my wife came home one day last year and started praying, reading God centered self help/ apologetic books and leaving them all over house and reads her nightly Jesus calling devotional it kind of threw me for a loop. I honestly have never had a close relationship with someone who truly believes. I know that might make me sound naive as there are many former, devout believers here or have family that is very God centered but that was not the case for me, as I reflect back I always took the stories as parables and not actually true.

The thing I'm also wondering is how to navigate discussions in a tactful way. She has admitted that she knew I wasn't into religion so she compartmentalized it to herself for a long time. I don't want this to be the case so we decided to try and talk about what she learned at church, life group, etc... but this past Sunday she said they talked about how to live a more god centered life to make your existence more fulfilling. Obviously, I don't agree with that and am living proof that it is not true so I try and look for a common, secular, thread to cling onto to discuss without coming straight out and saying "well I completely disagree with that statement". It's ironic that now that I, with confidence, identify as an atheist that I am discussing the deeper meaning of biblical passages and stories most frequently. Thanks for letting me vent everyone, this forum is much cheaper than a therapist!
[+] 3 users Like Rkane819's post
09-07-2015, 01:34 PM
And thanks for your input Jennybee, you have commented on a number of my posts and I appreciate your thoughts.
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post
09-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Your welcome. I appreciate that you appreciate my comments Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-07-2015, 11:51 AM
(09-07-2015 11:01 AM)Rkane819 Wrote:  It's ironic that now that I, with confidence, identify as an atheist that I am discussing the deeper meaning of biblical passages and stories most frequently. Thanks for letting me vent everyone, this forum is much cheaper than a therapist!

I'm in Missouri, and I totally get it. My family are mostly in Louisiana (Cajun, Catholic, and therefore fruitful-and-multiplying!), with some in Florida (dad's smaller side of the family) and Texas (oilfield work, mostly)... and now that I'm an atheist and have put a lot of time and effort into understanding the Bible, I love to discuss it.

Unfortunately, because they know I'm not a Fellow Believer™, they treat everything I say as hostile, even though I'm careful to not be hostile or aggressive with them, and just enjoy theological/apologetics discussions. I recently pointed out to them (see my thread "More Fun With Facebook") that the removal of verses from the NIV isn't part of an atheist conspiracy but is because the verses are not found in the older manuscripts that the KJV translators didn't have access to, and a family friend replied not to hate my "sin". Angry

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post