Advice to young atheist whippersnappers: choose your life mate wisely

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: Advice to young atheist whippersnappers: choose your life mate wisely
(02-08-2012 03:35 AM)Magoo Wrote:  I attended a Catholic school, they indoctrinate you pretty bad!

[Image: catholicnun.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Gee, I'm glad I don't go to Catholic school.

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Check out the magnet school well before sending them there. The magnet schools in St. Louis Missour are in horrible parts of the city. I went to a few different ones and while the curriculum would've been great many of the teachers were not the kind you would like to see in such a school, and oftne the atmosphere was in no way learning focused.

Magnet schools are schools that have a higher curriculum and generally a focus. I've been to a higher academic school where they taught 3 grades above, and I also went to a language one, which ended up primarily being an english as a second language school and even had metal detectors at the doors.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
My first wife was ... interesting. She was somewhere between weird and theist (although they usually go hand in hand anyway). At that time I was still a believer. This was many years ago back before I was old enough to drink (although, I'm not super old as it is, but you get the idea).

After my divorce I met my current wife. She hated religion about as much as I did. Had it shoved down her throat her whole life and was sick of it. No interest in religion, didn't buy it, didn't like it. I was in the same boat. I didn't become an atheist until after I met her, and she has been on the same page as me (although she prefers "agnostic" since she doesn't like the tag of atheist and what comes with it).

We've talked about raising kids when we have them. Definitely, before you marry, be sure you know what you want.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Personally I wouldn't care if my (hopefully will be existing future) wife wanted to send the kids to a religious school. For one, it'd probably be a college (I have this odd attraction to teachers/music majors--think it's their personality), and I've found it's the best way to get someone to dislike and become atheist. Well, it sure helped me. Pre-college, I'd outright ask "why?!?" mainly due to the costs that'd most likely exist. But really, I figure I'll end up marrying a religious person... I'd probably end up with a fundamentalist religious person (who doesn't mind questions).

But then I don't mind if someone is exposed to religion either. Now a religious wife could be irritated that the children think of god the same way adults view santa, maybe more so if she thinks I corrupted the children, but really, before it got to that point, she'd already know where I stood on things. I've been told that even though I don't say anything, it's "kind of obvious". Probably because they say that if there's a hell, I'll be going there--so for me, I think my wife would know where I stood, but I wouldn't stop the child from going to a religious school--I'd probably encourage it with an evil laugh.
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
(02-08-2012 06:32 PM)elemts Wrote:  Personally I wouldn't care if my (hopefully will be existing future) wife wanted to send the kids to a religious school. For one, it'd probably be a college (I have this odd attraction to teachers/music majors--think it's their personality), and I've found it's the best way to get someone to dislike and become atheist.

For what it's worth, I did my undergrad at a Marianist Univeristy - did graduate work at Georgetown (Jesuit) and really thought about pursuing a Ph.D at Catholic Univeristy - just for the delicious irony of it all Wink. Common sense won out at the end of the day - a Ph.D wasn't going to help my career in the least, but I did consider it...

Funny thing about the Catholic Univeristy education system - it ain't all that bad. Good schools, excellent professors. Downside was I needed 6 undergrad credits in "religion"to graduate; upside, one of those 6 credits needed to involve Christianity. Zero regrets for attending Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
(02-08-2012 08:11 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 06:32 PM)elemts Wrote:  Personally I wouldn't care if my (hopefully will be existing future) wife wanted to send the kids to a religious school. For one, it'd probably be a college (I have this odd attraction to teachers/music majors--think it's their personality), and I've found it's the best way to get someone to dislike and become atheist.

For what it's worth, I did my undergrad at a Marianist Univeristy - did graduate work at Georgetown (Jesuit) and really thought about pursuing a Ph.D at Catholic Univeristy - just for the delicious irony of it all Wink. Common sense won out at the end of the day - a Ph.D wasn't going to help my career in the least, but I did consider it...

Funny thing about the Catholic Univeristy education system - it ain't all that bad. Good schools, excellent professors. Downside was I needed 6 undergrad credits in "religion"to graduate; upside, one of those 6 credits needed to involve Christianity. Zero regrets for attending Smile

I had a 9 credit of theology requirement myself--considered a minor in it. But really, the education was really good--granted the teachers had a "if you get a C consider yourself lucky" type of policy in many classes (literally, some were VERY difficult). Even so, I still learned a lot from them.
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I appreciate the anecdotes about Catholic university schooling. I just wanted to point out that this is one of the shortcomings of relying on anecdotal evidence.

You'll never know if you would/could have had an even better education/experience at a purely secular institution.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
02-08-2012, 10:03 PM
(02-08-2012 09:52 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I appreciate the anecdotes about Catholic university schooling. I just wanted to point out that this is one of the shortcomings of relying on anecdotal evidence.

You'll never know if you would/could have had an even better education/experience at a purely secular institution.
True; however, I am also basing it on comparisons from friends that went to state schools. Some said one of my classes covered more than theirs with more work. Granted this also does not mean I learned or retained more -- just saying that overall my professors required more than at least a few other state universities

Also they said they weren't required to have as much diversity in classes--but that doesn't mean much in itself. I can say that many of the things I learned I would not have in a state univ mainly as they did not offer them in the program.

I'd type more or be clearer but I'm on my iPod touch.