Advice when it come to 'praying'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Advice when it come to 'praying'
Tonight I was asked to pray for the family meal. At this point in time, I'm not out to my family about my Atheism, and so I bit the bullet and went ahead 'prayed'. It was tough to try to think on the spot of something to say that wasn't religious, but could be taken as such by those at the dinner. It really pissed me of that I had been asked to do this, although it has been several years since I have been asked to do so. I am hoping to come out about my Atheism in the next year or so, when I go off to school.

From what I can remember of my hastily thought up 'prayer' I said something along the lines of:

"I'm glad that everyone was able to spend some time together this past weekend, and that the weather was nice. I hope that the rest of the week goes well."

I didn't say 'amen', which did raise some eyebrows, but they figured out that the 'prayer' was over and went ahead and started eating.

I am mainly looking to not rock the boat too much at this point. Have you had any experiences like this? In the mean time, in case this situation comes up again, if you have any suggestions for things to say, that I can in good conscience feel comfortable saying, I would love to hear it. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 08:25 PM
RE: Advice when it come to 'praying'
(04-09-2012 08:22 PM)Near Wrote:  Tonight I was asked to pray for the family meal. At this point in time, I'm not out to my family about my Atheism, and so I bit the bullet and went ahead 'prayed'. It was tough to try to think on the spot of something to say that wasn't religious, but could be taken as such by those at the dinner. It really pissed me of that I had been asked to do this, although it has been several years since I have been asked to do so. I am hoping to come out about my Atheism in the next year or so, when I go off to school.

From what I can remember of my hastily thought up 'prayer' I said something along the lines of:

"I'm glad that everyone was able to spend some time together this past weekend, and that the weather was nice. I hope that the rest of the week goes well."

I didn't say 'amen', which did raise some eyebrows, but they figured out that the 'prayer' was over and went ahead and started eating.

I am mainly looking to not rock the boat too much at this point. Have you had any experiences like this? In the mean time, in case this situation comes up again, if you have any suggestions for things to say, that I can in good conscience feel comfortable saying, I would love to hear it. Smile

All. The. Time. I have to say Grace every holiday, and I am an outed atheist.

They make me go to church and pray, otherwise I get severly punished.

I just bite my lip, and lie, and make it convincing as possibe so I don't make it worse than it already is.

I am sure many closeted, and outed, atheists are forced to do this as well.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
What religion is your family and how devout are they?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 08:49 PM by fstratzero.)
Meh I don't pray except when not doing it would be grievous to my loved ones.

My grandma for example would lose her mind if she found out I was an atheist, but to the rest of my family I am out.

In other words its up to you, but personally I do it when I feel like not doing so would be a bad thing.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
(04-09-2012 08:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  What religion is your family and how devout are they?

Some sort of christian. They used to go to an Evangelical Free church, and now they go to a Baptist church. They go to church every week. I thought that my father wasn't so religious, except a couple of weeks ago he was saying that he had told the JW's that he was never going to change his mind about his religious views, so they needn't bother coming round anymore. My mum is pretty religious I would say, although they mainly don't talk about religion until family comes round. I think that it is pretty important to them, but they aren't all that vocal about it. My parents and my brothers have all done missions trips to Mexico though, but that was years ago.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
It might help to pray to baby Jesus, that might make it seem more not real. Something like this.

Laugh out load

No, seriously. You can start it out saying Thank you for... in the most ernest way (because we should be thankful) and the word amen just means yes, so I always have thought we're just saying yes.

In your own home or when you're outed, you can pass. In my mom's home, I still reflect as the prayer is said. It's not really a bad thing at all to reflect.
[+] 6 users Like LadyJane's post
05-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I just tell them the honest truth.

If there is a god out there and your correct on the whole affair your asking me to try and lie about being in telepathic communication with an omnipresent and omniscience being. Don't you think that's going to look bad on everyone here?

I usually get a few moments of shocked silence then a moment of "oh......" then someone else will start praying and simply make a note of "please reach out to help Jeff know of your glory" or some such nonsense.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
05-09-2012, 05:50 AM
(04-09-2012 10:52 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It might help to pray to baby Jesus, that might make it seem more not real. Something like this.

Laugh out load

No, seriously. You can start it out saying Thank you for... in the most ernest way (because we should be thankful) and the word amen just means yes, so I always have thought we're just saying yes.

In your own home or when you're outed, you can pass. In my mom's home, I still reflect as the prayer is said. It's not really a bad thing at all to reflect.
Doesn't the word Amen mean "So be it" ?

I never thght of it as a yes.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I think you have to perform some kind of rain dance, no?

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
(05-09-2012 05:50 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 10:52 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It might help to pray to baby Jesus, that might make it seem more not real. Something like this.

Laugh out load

Doesn't the word Amen mean "So be it" ?

I never thght of it as a yes.

Hmm, I don't know. It was the priest in my church as a child who would explain this. Maybe it is a general "I agree"? I think someone on here at TTA said they knew hebrew, but not sure. I don't know the direct translation.