Advise for surviving nicotine cold turkey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Advise for surviving nicotine cold turkey
I'm off the vaping from tomorrow. Tried it today but made up an excuse to put it off til tomorrow. I am my own worst enemy. The science on the health implications of vaping seems very mixed and it's unattractive to be reliant on a plastic machine so I'm desperate to quit. Any tips on overcoming the cold turkey? I remember hearing that nicotine is harder to quit than heroin so all advise will be appreciated, just please don't recommend NRT - I won't use it as i need to break the addiction and a short sharp shock is the MO for this. Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Advise for surviving nicotine cold turkey
I quit cold turkey back in the '80s and haven't smoked since. My mantra was "each day will be easier than the last one" and "if I start again I'll have to go through this again." That last one kept me clean. Thumbsup

During the process I kept repeating to myself "I'm strong than this addiction." Turned out to be true.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Good advice - mantras can be so helpful, thanks. Your story is inspirational. Did you post on rationalia? I remember the username. I was never registered there but used to lurk. Cheers#!
02-09-2016, 07:58 AM
You could try the method I used -- but it's rather extreme....

Get hit by a truck..........

I spent over 45 days in ICU and then a private room --- and of course these days there's no smoking... They were going to amputate my right leg - from below the knee... The doctor said "You smoke, you'll never heal up".... I promised to quit smoking. I've still got the leg. (plus 3 titanium plates and 21 screws - plus one in my wrist with 8 screws)

Back in the mid 80's -- the first time I broke my right leg -- my buddies smuggled me in beer, pizza, cigarettes and matches.....

I got caught several times - and the nurse threatened me with being thrown out of the hospital if I kept smoking...... Big threat - that's what I wanted......

Best bet -- KEEP BUSY -- if at all possible spend as much time as possible in places where you CAN'T smoke....

Don't hang out with your friends that DO smoke or otherwise imbibe nicotine -- at least until you don't grind your teeth at the sight of someone puffing away.....

The first 3 days are the worst. After a week or so - it starts getting easier. You'll never be over the cravings that will occasionally pop up -- but you will get really good at ignoring them..

Good luck..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Would not recommend my method either; have a near fatal heart attack and spend three days up to your eyebrows with morphine with a drip feed, oxygen tubes up your nose etc.!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-09-2016, 08:16 AM
(02-09-2016 07:44 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Good advice - mantras can be so helpful, thanks. Your story is inspirational. Did you post on rationalia? I remember the username. I was never registered there but used to lurk. Cheers#!
Yeah, that was me, back in the day. Place went to hell and I moved on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2016, 08:19 AM
It's a tidy forum they've got here isn't it? I feel at home already. I like the culture of tracking likes for posts - it makes you give more likes which is a good vibe. I'm a bit worried about my reputation score though. Do you know what forms that score? I don't want to be in the red lol
02-09-2016, 08:23 AM
(02-09-2016 07:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You could try the method I used -- but it's rather extreme....

Get hit by a truck..........

I spent over 45 days in ICU and then a private room --- and of course these days there's no smoking... They were going to amputate my right leg - from below the knee... The doctor said "You smoke, you'll never heal up".... I promised to quit smoking. I've still got the leg. (plus 3 titanium plates and 21 screws - plus one in my wrist with 8 screws)

Back in the mid 80's -- the first time I broke my right leg -- my buddies smuggled me in beer, pizza, cigarettes and matches.....

I got caught several times - and the nurse threatened me with being thrown out of the hospital if I kept smoking...... Big threat - that's what I wanted......

Best bet -- KEEP BUSY -- if at all possible spend as much time as possible in places where you CAN'T smoke....

Don't hang out with your friends that DO smoke or otherwise imbibe nicotine -- at least until you don't grind your teeth at the sight of someone puffing away.....

The first 3 days are the worst. After a week or so - it starts getting easier. You'll never be over the cravings that will occasionally pop up -- but you will get really good at ignoring them..

Good luck..

Jesus Christ riding a purple bicycle dude - that's quite a tale! I'm still making an effort to avoid oncoming traffic but I will take your advice to try and keep busy. I will read a lot I think. Every day is an accomplishment. You are also a cyborg now, part metal part human. I like cyborgs - they're cool. Maybe I should eat a truck afterall...
02-09-2016, 08:29 AM
I went cold turkey 3 or 4 years ago
  • Have the will to quit! Keep motivating yourself
  • When you feel craving, distract yourself with anything that may distract you (reading, talking ot someone, etc, anything)
  • Have snacks availiable, like anyone else who quits Laugh out load Blush
  • Smoking is often related to certain habits very much. Change those habits
  • Get something new (a replacement) you can focus on and wha tgives you a *kick*. For me it was Jogging/running. It will help you reprogramming your reward-system (endorphins are great!)

Otherwise: what others already said.

After 1 week the physical addiction is gone, but the hardest part (because longest) ist to delete the programming of your "nucleus accumbens", the part of your brain dealing with "reward". Took me over 1y to be confident i will not start again on a days i am"weak".

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
02-09-2016, 08:41 AM
(02-09-2016 07:36 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I'm off the vaping from tomorrow. Tried it today but made up an excuse to put it off til tomorrow. I am my own worst enemy. The science on the health implications of vaping seems very mixed and it's unattractive to be reliant on a plastic machine so I'm desperate to quit. Any tips on overcoming the cold turkey? I remember hearing that nicotine is harder to quit than heroin so all advise will be appreciated, just please don't recommend NRT - I won't use it as i need to break the addiction and a short sharp shock is the MO for this. Cheers.

Use Chantix. I was once a pack and a half a day smoker. I did half the prescribed dosage. I have been completely smoke free for more than 7 years and counting.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post