Advise for surviving nicotine cold turkey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 08:41 AM
RE: Advise for surviving nicotine cold turkey
Thanks for the advice. I really think reading might be the key. It's worthy (hate that word) so it's got a good vibe and could occupy the mind. I've got half a dozen novels lined up. I believe I will succeed. I've also instigated a program of workouts/exercise that gives me a buzz.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pragmatix's post
02-09-2016, 08:56 AM
I quit about 20 years ago, for me the key was knowing I was making progress to be healthier.

so first you have the cravings, then you start coughing up all that gunk out of your lungs. I needed to remind myself that each cough was my bodies way of repairing itself.

this timeline of other things happening inside my body really helped and felt like I was moving toward a goal, rather than away from something else.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
02-09-2016, 10:59 AM
(02-09-2016 07:36 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I'm off the vaping from tomorrow. Tried it today but made up an excuse to put it off til tomorrow. I am my own worst enemy. The science on the health implications of vaping seems very mixed and it's unattractive to be reliant on a plastic machine so I'm desperate to quit. Any tips on overcoming the cold turkey? I remember hearing that nicotine is harder to quit than heroin so all advise will be appreciated, just please don't recommend NRT - I won't use it as i need to break the addiction and a short sharp shock is the MO for this. Cheers.

Don't feel bad. My cigarette intake doubled since I stopped drinking.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Lots of chewing gum, blow pops, and twizzlers...

Still crave them when stressed and idle...I could go for one right now... My son is with me. That helps.

I will be making more coffee when I get home.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
02-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Eat some cold turkey.

I quit cigarettes cold turkey sort of by accident. I was a pack-a-day smoker in my early 20s. 2 packs if I went to a party on a weekend night. Anyway, I had Strep throat for a week and just couldn't bring myself to smoke a cigarette during that time. Once the bug went away I realized I had a week of not smoking under my belt and decided not to take it back up.

I carried a little pouch of sunflower seeds around with me. I found it replaced a lot of the habitual stuff that I got from cigarette smoking. If you put like 3 or 4 in your mouth at once it gives both your mouth and hands something to do. It's a distinct flavor of its own so there's that too. Plus you can spit the shells into your old ashtrays, or all over public streets so you can still be a waste-generating prick if you miss that aspect of smoking too, lol.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
03-09-2016, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 11:40 AM by Leerob.)
Hi Pragmatix,

It is mostly in your head because it is an addiction. There is a physical factor to it. But the physical withdrawal will be over within about 5 days.
So from the beginning, always keep in mind the reason *why* you are stopping. If that reason is strong enough it will carry you through the process. In my case I stopped smoking because it was actually killing me and I never touched a cigarette again from one day to the other (and I had like 5 packs laying at home still).

So here is what will probably happen, because it is a withdrawal from nicotine:
Physically for about a week
* You will likely feel uneasy and nervous
* You will likely feel easily annoyed so make sure not to bark at people when they annoy you because everybody and everything will be annoying (Maybe warn your friends and families)
* You might feel your heart pounding sometimes or have a faster pulse than normal
* You might get a bit shaky hands - don't worry it will stop
Mentally for way longer than a week
* You will likely think about smoking a lot
* You will crave your smoking rituals (with a coffee / in a short break / after breakfast / etc)
* You will have very realistic dreams about smoking

Tips from an ex smoker:
* Do not substitute your smoking with other substances. You know some people say, oh have a chewing gum or eat a carrot every time. Believe me, you do not need a substitue. Besides, that idea that you need a susbstitute is the reason why so many people gain weight when they stop smoking.
* Be mindful of your eating habits. Nicotine surpresses apetite so your apetite may rise. This is another reason why many people gain weight when they stop smoking, because they are not aware of this.
* Avoid places like a smoking corner at work and such. Be social in other ways.
* When you go grocery shopping, make sure that you actively keep in mind that you are not buying any smoking supplies.
* Keep books over the money you are now actively saving because you are not restocking smoking supplies. Maybe even go as far as using it for a night out at the end of the week (movies, go to a club, etc)
* When you are so so so close to just smoke again - do something that you know it will bring you so much pleasure. Maybe a hobby you love, maybe a movie to watch, maybe jerk off, maybe go out with a friend... you know, anything that keeps you occupied Wink
* As mentioned above, warn your friends and families that you are on withdrawal and might act weird for a while. Just so they know to be patient with you.
* Generally try to change your routines a little bit. Maybe drink your coffee on the other side of the table, have your break in a different area, stare into the sky from the porch instead of the window, etc... Just small changes but to have your brain accept that something is changing here and that it is really not that big of a deal. Because really what you do is re-educating your brain and you make it easy if things don't become inconvenient but merely they change a little bit from what they used to be while essentially staying the same thing.
* Ah yes and be prepared to say "No thank you" and stick with it

I hope this helps

cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
03-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll take it on board for tomorrow, when I quit. I tried to quit the vaping today but only lasted circa 4 hours. I think the main problem is that I'd denoted it a holiday, and so I was bored. I'm going to try and stay active tomorrow, working out, reading, writing...no holiday anyway. Thanks everybody for the input.
03-09-2016, 04:25 PM
(02-09-2016 07:36 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I'm off the vaping from tomorrow. Tried it today but made up an excuse to put it off til tomorrow. I am my own worst enemy. The science on the health implications of vaping seems very mixed and it's unattractive to be reliant on a plastic machine so I'm desperate to quit. Any tips on overcoming the cold turkey? I remember hearing that nicotine is harder to quit than heroin so all advise will be appreciated, just please don't recommend NRT - I won't use it as i need to break the addiction and a short sharp shock is the MO for this. Cheers.

Visit a cancer ward in a hospital, stop a Dr and ask his opinion on smoking.

Lung cancer patients usually last about 6 weeks. I've seen many die.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-09-2016, 04:32 PM

I used those band aid looking strips. But they cost so much and I was unemployed at the time, that is why I quit, I couldn't afford it. I only used the strips for one week and then decided I could tuff it out. I have had 3 cigarettes in the last 20 years. Good luck
03-09-2016, 05:38 PM
I have emphysema. If I had been smoking when I got the Dx I would have had to stop while know that I was going to suffocate anyway. That would have sucked more than the situation does right now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user