Affirmative Action
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2011, 12:23 PM
RE: Affirmative Action
I don't find that imposing something on people somehow raises their tolerance, usually it irritates them.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2011, 05:04 PM
RE: Affirmative Action
(15-08-2011 11:38 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I still don't understand why we try to teach tolerance. Shouldn't we be at a point where we teach acceptance and not to just tolerate something you dislike/disagree with?

On a side note I agree and disagree with AA. I agree with it in principle but disagree with how it is implemented. As a white male I find myself typically in good situations so I have never experienced blatant discrimination. The thing is that employers should be free to hire the best person for the job irregardless of race, religion, age or sex. In some cases they are forced to hire a candidate who is less qualified because of AA and in other cases discrimination means someone is passed over because of age, race, sex or religion. There is a reason why age and religion are not supposed to be legal to talk about in interviews so perhaps we should make all interviews a double blind process. You can't see the interviewer or the interviewee and even voices are altered so you can't tell if they are male of female. Perhaps then female salaries would level off with male salaries! Not a realistic solution but still.

It's a pity that some sort of solution like yours can't be used, it would solve the whole problem.

I think sy2502 hit the nail on the head, how can you fight discrimination with discrimination?

Saying 'we need to prevent discrimination, how can we do this, I know lets discriminate' seems like a pretty dumb idea to me.

I think sy2502 also raised another very interesting point. It would be unfair on people who got into good positions without the help of AA as people may right them off as not deserving to be where they are.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply