Affluenza?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2013 12:35 PM by Slowminded.)
Affluenza?
Being rich is a valid legal defense in US courts ? Blink

Arrticle on Affluenza

Affluenza

WTF?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 12:37 PM
RE: Affluenza?
Yeah I don't think his punishment is adequate, or that a poor kid in the exact same spot would have gotten the same deal. It's sad.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
13-12-2013, 12:49 PM
It may sound like a stupid diagnosis, but makes a lot of sense. This was an entitled kid that never had to understand consequences.

Many people say the punishment is inadequate. What is an adequate punishment? Death? Dismemberment? Torture? Being sent to a prison where he would most likely be raped and/or extorted based on his parent's wealth?

The kid is being sent to the best rehabilitation center that money can buy, is being separated from parents that really didn't do well in raising him, and has 10 years of probation. If he screws up again, it will be a violation of probation.

Yes, a poor kid wouldn't have been able to afford the stellar defense attorneys, and the educated psychologist, or the expensive rehab, but how do you punish someone based on that? It isn't fair, but life isn't fair.
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
13-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I read the part on Wikipedia about this case, and I'm stunned. How is that a defense? I didn't think about the consequences because I was taught I could get away with it because I'm rich?

The court case just proves him right; he stole, he was speeding, he was driving while drunk, he killed four people, and he got nothing but probation.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
13-12-2013, 12:59 PM
It annoys me how this is viewed as 'unjust.' When rich people can purchase medical treatments to cure disease/illness that poor people can't, is this unjust? Should everyone have access to the best brain surgeon available? How are those poor going to pay for this treatment?

The same works in law. There are lawyers that are better and lawyers that are not as good. The better lawyers demand a higher amount of money.
13-12-2013, 01:11 PM
(13-12-2013 12:59 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It annoys me how this is viewed as 'unjust.' When rich people can purchase medical treatments to cure disease/illness that poor people can't, is this unjust? Should everyone have access to the best brain surgeon available? How are those poor going to pay for this treatment?

The same works in law. There are lawyers that are better and lawyers that are not as good. The better lawyers demand a higher amount of money.

Whut? Shocking

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
13-12-2013, 01:16 PM
(13-12-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...
but how do you punish someone based on that?

10 year exchange program with this kid...
[Image: child+sitting+on+tracks.jpg]

[+] 16 users Like DLJ's post
13-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Next time this kid kills someone they will claim that this case only furthered his affluenza and he will be even less guilty I guess? Blink

13-12-2013, 01:37 PM
(13-12-2013 12:59 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It annoys me how this is viewed as 'unjust.' When rich people can purchase medical treatments to cure disease/illness that poor people can't, is this unjust? Should everyone have access to the best brain surgeon available? How are those poor going to pay for this treatment?

So you're saying justice should be purchased? Maybe people should be able to hire a prosecutor then?

You seem to implying poor people don't deserve medical treatment based on their station.

Then perhaps the best surgeons should auction off their services?

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-12-2013, 01:42 PM
And this is one example of why I'm against the whole criminal law system

[Image: sigvacachica.png]