Affluenza?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 02:11 PM
RE: Affluenza?
(13-12-2013 02:07 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 01:59 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Money talks. Power talks.
You can gripe about how it is unjust and unjust, but it will only continue.

That is unless the unfairness gets to epic proportions and the servs revolt and the shit hits the fan.

And then those "serfs"(?) rise to power, some gaining wealth and power at a higher degree than others---and the cycle begins again.

Next argument, please.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 02:11 PM
(13-12-2013 02:08 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It's not a disease? I'm sure you will enlighten us with your credentials that make you able to make a claim such as this. I mean, you MUST be more intelligent that the psychologist that diagnosed him.

uhmmm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl...e15944164/

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
13-12-2013, 02:17 PM
(13-12-2013 02:11 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 02:08 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It's not a disease? I'm sure you will enlighten us with your credentials that make you able to make a claim such as this. I mean, you MUST be more intelligent that the psychologist that diagnosed him.

uhmmm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl...e15944164/

After a simple google search I can find several psychiatrists that agree that affluenza is a real phenomena.

Is it a good defense? Well, in this case it was good enough to avoid jail time.

The judicial system is not black and white. It has hues of gray--especially for those with power and money.
13-12-2013, 02:21 PM

I have lots of students diagnosed as ADHD, and I hear that same crap argument. "They don't have a disease, they just are spoiled and need some discipline."

This is just going way over your head. What does 'getting away' with a crime mean? What is a proper punishment? Eye for an eye?

I am simply stating that rich people have more options available to them and better access to things such as healthcare and better lawyers.

Did I say ANYTHING about rich people being more deserving? You are injecting your bias into the argument.

I'm not a MD, but...can I use Mayo clink's list of diseases as a reference ? Smile

Apparently, Affluenza is not on the list.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-treat...t-all.html

I easily may be more intelligent that the psychologist that diagnosed him. Is there any reason I can't be?

Rich people do have more options, yes, but killing people and not going to prison for it shouldn't be one of them.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
13-12-2013, 02:28 PM
(13-12-2013 02:21 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

I have lots of students diagnosed as ADHD, and I hear that same crap argument. "They don't have a disease, they just are spoiled and need some discipline."

This is just going way over your head. What does 'getting away' with a crime mean? What is a proper punishment? Eye for an eye?

I am simply stating that rich people have more options available to them and better access to things such as healthcare and better lawyers.

Did I say ANYTHING about rich people being more deserving? You are injecting your bias into the argument.

I'm not a MD, but...can I use Mayo clink's list of diseases as a reference ? Smile

I easily may be more intelligent that the psychologist that diagnosed him. Is there any reason I can't be?

Rich people do have more options, yes, but killing people and not going to prison for it shouldn't be one of them.

We can play the shouldn't game all day long. Gays shouldn't be forbidden from marriage. Children shouldn't be starving. Religion shouldn't be indoctrinating youth. I shouldn't have to fight to teach a concept as basic as evolution. And yes, the rich shouldn't be able to use money to get "away" with things.

Btw, I love playing the devil's advocate. I could do this all day. =)
13-12-2013, 02:42 PM
(13-12-2013 02:28 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 02:21 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I'm not a MD, but...can I use Mayo clink's list of diseases as a reference ? Smile

We can play the shouldn't game all day long. Gays shouldn't be forbidden from marriage. Children shouldn't be starving. Religion shouldn't be indoctrinating youth. I shouldn't have to fight to teach a concept as basic as evolution. And yes, the rich shouldn't be able to use money to get "away" with things.

Btw, I love playing the devil's advocate. I could do this all day. =)

you chose a hard one for devil's advocate. Try going deeper, shift the guilt towards something else, you'll never get away with saying it's ok for rich people to get away with it because they just can, it just goes against everything Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-12-2013, 02:45 PM
(13-12-2013 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 01:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So you're saying justice should be purchased? Maybe people should be able to hire a prosecutor then?

You seem to implying poor people don't deserve medical treatment based on their station.

Then perhaps the best surgeons should auction off their services?

Hell lets take it one step further make make it so you have to buy your citizenship. Make it expensive too so none of those Lesser people can have any of the privileges that the rich so clearly deserve.

Yes, and since the court system is so overwhelmed maybe we don't need lawyers at all...just look at the bank statement and hand down the "justice" based on that.

Obviously then we'll need more accountants.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-12-2013, 02:50 PM
(13-12-2013 12:59 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It annoys me how this is viewed as 'unjust.' When rich people can purchase medical treatments to cure disease/illness that poor people can't, is this unjust? Should everyone have access to the best brain surgeon available? How are those poor going to pay for this treatment?

The same works in law. There are lawyers that are better and lawyers that are not as good. The better lawyers demand a higher amount of money.

I understand what you are saying, 100%.

I think it's a matter of people disliking the concept rather than implying that you're wrong. Just because it's the way the world works doesn't mean we have to like it.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
13-12-2013, 03:00 PM
(13-12-2013 01:51 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  How about you take your emotion out of this issue and look at it from an unbiased point of view?

Wealth offers advantages. Are poor people less deserving of healthcare/good lawyers? No, but the fact is that is how society works.

Sure it doesn't seem fair, but what is the alternative? Everyone has equal access to everything? The lawyer that spent hundreds of thousand on their education is forced to pick up clients that are unable to pay him/her? That sounds unjust to me.

This isn't even an issue of having better lawyers. This is about a judge accepting an idiotic defense. "Affluenza" is a phenomenon, not a mental illness. It describes personality traits and tendencies more often found among children of rich parents, in the same as how children of charity organizations tend to be generous, or how children of criminals tend to dislike authority figures. It's basically like a kid who vandalized a police cruiser arguing that his father served eight years in prison, so he's not responsible for his own actions.

And any way, if the way the world works is screwed up, then it is time to change something. You don't just agree that institutionalized racism is bad but do nothing about it; you pass a civil rights act. You do something to improve the situation. Reducing the effects of money on court decisions doesn't require going all-out communist. Something simple like having judges who don't accept the Lady Gaga defense would be a start.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
13-12-2013, 03:01 PM
(13-12-2013 01:51 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 01:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So you're saying justice should be purchased? Maybe people should be able to hire a prosecutor then?

You seem to implying poor people don't deserve medical treatment based on their station.

Then perhaps the best surgeons should auction off their services?

How about you take your emotion out of this issue and look at it from an unbiased point of view?

Wealth offers advantages. Are poor people less deserving of healthcare/good lawyers? No, but the fact is that is how society works.

Sure it doesn't seem fair, but what is the alternative? Everyone has equal access to everything? The lawyer that spent hundreds of thousand on their education is forced to pick up clients that are unable to pay him/her? That sounds unjust to me.

Sorry, you seem to have me confused. I'm completely unemotional on this topic. What's wrong if you're wealthy enough to hire your own prosecuter? Especially if you find out the other person has acess to snap attorney?

Let's just judge everyone on their net worth. According to you that's the system that's already in place -- so lets just be honest about it.

How much justice can you afford? Net worth...I'll be in really good shape.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon