Affluenza?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: Affluenza?
(13-12-2013 02:50 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 12:59 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  It annoys me how this is viewed as 'unjust.' When rich people can purchase medical treatments to cure disease/illness that poor people can't, is this unjust? Should everyone have access to the best brain surgeon available? How are those poor going to pay for this treatment?

The same works in law. There are lawyers that are better and lawyers that are not as good. The better lawyers demand a higher amount of money.

I understand what you are saying, 100%.

I think it's a matter of people disliking the concept rather than implying that you're wrong. Just because it's the way the world works doesn't mean we have to like it.

Thank you.

Many of us on this site just cannot understand the utter nonsense that creationists spout.

However, this is the perfect example of why it is hard for evolutionists to talk 'sense' into creationists. Creationists use a lot of emotion in their thinking, just as many of the people that are posting on this thread. Logical thought and emotions don't go hand in hand.

"He deserves more!" More what? What is THE appropriate punishment?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(13-12-2013 03:00 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 01:51 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  How about you take your emotion out of this issue and look at it from an unbiased point of view?

Wealth offers advantages. Are poor people less deserving of healthcare/good lawyers? No, but the fact is that is how society works.

Sure it doesn't seem fair, but what is the alternative? Everyone has equal access to everything? The lawyer that spent hundreds of thousand on their education is forced to pick up clients that are unable to pay him/her? That sounds unjust to me.

This isn't even an issue of having better lawyers. This is about a judge accepting an idiotic defense. "Affluenza" is a phenomenon, not a mental illness. It describes personality traits and tendencies more often found among children of rich parents, in the same as how children of charity organizations tend to be generous, or how children of criminals tend to dislike authority figures. It's basically like a kid who vandalized a police cruiser arguing that his father served eight years in prison, so he's not responsible for his own actions.

And any way, if the way the world works is screwed up, then it is time to change something. You don't just agree that institutionalized racism is bad but do nothing about it; you pass a civil rights act. You do something to improve the situation. Reducing the effects of money on court decisions doesn't require going all-out communist. Something simple like having judges who don't accept the Lady Gaga defense would be a start.

So who gets to decide which judges fit this description? Those that have MONEY and POWER.

Let's elect judges. Who do you think funds the campaigns? Those that have MONEY and POWER.
13-12-2013, 03:16 PM
(13-12-2013 03:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sorry, you seem to have me confused. I'm completely unemotional on this topic. What's wrong if you're wealthy enough to hire your own prosecuter?

Um...because you can't hire a prosecutor. Let's stick with facts instead of making these absurd statements.

Could a rich & powerful person exert influence on a prosecutor? Absolutely.

(13-12-2013 03:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Let's just judge everyone on their net worth. According to you that's the system that's already in place -- so lets just be honest about it.

You must wear some special eyeglasses to be reading between the lines of what I type. Never said such a thing. I said that the rich and powerful have more access. Intelligence needs to go along with money & power for it to be at its highest 'usefulness.'

(13-12-2013 03:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How much justice can you afford? Net worth...I'll be in really good shape.

How much justice can I afford? Didn't think justice had a price.
The better question would be, how much lawyer can I afford.
Not much, as I am nothing more than a humble teacher.
13-12-2013, 04:31 PM
It's not just that this kid is from a wealthy family, he is also the 'victim' of divorce. At least that's what has been repeated on the radio multiple times here (yes, in Texas, and in the DFW area).

It's the way the juvenile justice system is set up. Had he been a year older when this happened, he probably would have been tried as an adult and the end result would have been much different. There isn't one thing flawed about how this went down, there are many flaws.

But, the over-riding factor is that his parents have truckloads of money. A kid with less would be locked up at least till they were an adult.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-12-2013, 04:46 PM
What makes me mad about this case is not the fact that the kids family had enough money to pay for a nice treatment center. It's this:

court decides because his parents are so rich, and never raised him to know the difference between right and wrong, their solution is not to give him a prison sentence (which would fast track his lesson) that is deserved. Perpetuating the idea that there are no consequences for his actions.

Others don't get this benefit, and were also raised by shitty parents. Can we really start using the excuse that because kids aren't raised correctly, they can't be punished for their crimes? For fucks sake, the kid was on painkillers with a 0.24 BAC and killed innocent people!!

The lawyers also sited that by putting the kid in jail would be just sending him into a corrupted institution, causing him further harm. This is an issue with the prison system. This reason could be used in any other court hearing. If it is justified in this one, it could be in others as well. The prison system does need A LOT of work.

Sorry rant over. This article had me so mad today.
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
13-12-2013, 04:51 PM
(13-12-2013 02:28 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  We can play the shouldn't game all day long. Gays shouldn't be forbidden from marriage. Children shouldn't be starving. Religion shouldn't be indoctrinating youth. I shouldn't have to fight to teach a concept as basic as evolution. And yes, the rich shouldn't be able to use money to get "away" with things.

Btw, I love playing the devil's advocate. I could do this all day. =)
Well, that's exactly my point.

And what Elesjei said
Quote:This isn't even an issue of having better lawyers. This is about a judge accepting an idiotic defense.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
13-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Still waiting on someone to decide what is the "just" punishment for this 16 year old.

"Send him to jail! That'll teach him a lesson!"

What lesson is that? The Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that a very high percentage of criminals (60-70%) are back in jail after 3 years.

On the other hand the Justice Policy Institute has statistics to show that individuals that go through rehab instead of jail time have an over 60% less likely of a chance to be back in jail, as compared to individuals that did not get rehabilitation.

We shouldn't be talking about how this kid didn't get what he 'deserved.' We should be talking about how to treat criminals effectively.
13-12-2013, 05:37 PM
(13-12-2013 05:12 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Still waiting on someone to decide what is the "just" punishment for this 16 year old.

"Send him to jail! That'll teach him a lesson!"

What lesson is that? The Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that a very high percentage of criminals (60-70%) are back in jail after 3 years.

On the other hand the Justice Policy Institute has statistics to show that individuals that go through rehab instead of jail time have an over 60% less likely of a chance to be back in jail, as compared to individuals that did not get rehabilitation.

We shouldn't be talking about how this kid didn't get what he 'deserved.' We should be talking about how to treat criminals effectively.

I agree with this.

Reality is reality. The kid was raised without responsibilities and perhaps he just doesn't get it. So he needs to learn that actions have consequences - but getting him raped and abused in jail isn't going to make him a better person.

What will?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Heard on the radio just now that there is a petition being signed to try to get the judge removed from the bench. Of course, for this case, it's too little too late.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Learned in my court procedures class that in Texas juveniles aren't judged guilty or not guilty (apparently could damage their psyche). The charges against them are deemed true or untrue...smh...good grief.