Affluenza?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Affluenza?
(13-12-2013 05:12 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Still waiting ...

Oh!

My idea wasn't good enough?

It has the double whammy that not only do the failed parents have to invest in their new ward's development and education but also will have to determine what they consider to be the 'value' of the offender-child i.e. they will be worried about their (real) child's security and will invest in:
a) protection of that child
b) their child's new environment
or not, if they decide that the ROI is not good enough.

btw, I'm not sure of the difference between a disease and a disorder where you come from but in my country of origin my ADHD child has a disorder... specifically a developmental disorder.

Disease implies pathology i.e. something observable under a microscope.
I suppose that it could be argued that poor nurturing could result in a developmental disorder but surely a natural brain development disorder (ADHD) is not the same as a parentally-induced brain development disorder (Affluenza)?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 06:08 PM
(13-12-2013 05:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:12 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Still waiting on someone to decide what is the "just" punishment for this 16 year old.

"Send him to jail! That'll teach him a lesson!"

What lesson is that? The Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that a very high percentage of criminals (60-70%) are back in jail after 3 years.

On the other hand the Justice Policy Institute has statistics to show that individuals that go through rehab instead of jail time have an over 60% less likely of a chance to be back in jail, as compared to individuals that did not get rehabilitation.

We shouldn't be talking about how this kid didn't get what he 'deserved.' We should be talking about how to treat criminals effectively.

I agree with this.

Reality is reality. The kid was raised without responsibilities and perhaps he just doesn't get it. So he needs to learn that actions have consequences - but getting him raped and abused in jail isn't going to make him a better person.

What will?

But what about poor kids who are getting sent to prison to get raped abused?
Isn't she supposed to be blind (blindfolded )?

[Image: x4gabm.gif]

Don't you have some correctional institutions for juveniles , where the dangers of getting raped is small or non existent?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
13-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Perhaps something along this lines should be in front of the Department of Justice , so people at least know what they are dealing with.

[Image: 2h3y43t.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
13-12-2013, 06:22 PM
(13-12-2013 06:08 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  I agree with this.

Reality is reality. The kid was raised without responsibilities and perhaps he just doesn't get it. So he needs to learn that actions have consequences - but getting him raped and abused in jail isn't going to make him a better person.

What will?

But what about poor kids who are getting sent to prison to get raped abused?
Isn't she supposed to be blind (blindfolded )?

[Image: x4gabm.gif]

Don't you have some correctional institutions for juveniles , where the dangers of getting raped is small or non existent?

No, that is just as stupid as sending this one to jail.

I am not very familiar with the correctional system, but I do know that juvenile institutions have the reputation of being schools where kids learn how to be better criminals.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-12-2013, 08:26 PM
(13-12-2013 06:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:12 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Still waiting ...

Oh!

My idea wasn't good enough?

It has the double whammy that not only do the failed parents have to invest in their new ward's development and education but also will have to determine what they consider to be the 'value' of the offender-child i.e. they will be worried about their (real) child's security and will invest in:
a) protection of that child
b) their child's new environment
or not, if they decide that the ROI is not good enough.

btw, I'm not sure of the difference between a disease and a disorder where you come from but in my country of origin my ADHD child has a disorder... specifically a developmental disorder.

Disease implies pathology i.e. something observable under a microscope.
I suppose that it could be argued that poor nurturing could result in a developmental disorder but surely a natural brain development disorder (ADHD) is not the same as a parentally-induced brain development disorder (Affluenza)?

No, I did like your idea as a matter of fact! Don't really know how that would be implemented, but him being able to see the plight of the severely underprivileged could be good.

I was waiting for the other emotional posters to give a response.

As for disease/disorder...it is purely semantics. If I was being technical, I would agree with your wording.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease

A disease is an abnormal condition that affects the body of an organism. It is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs. It may be caused by factors originally from an external source, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function
13-12-2013, 08:47 PM
(13-12-2013 08:26 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...
A disease is an abnormal condition that affects the body of an organism. It is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs. It may be caused by factors originally from an external source, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function

I stand corrected. Thank you.

14-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Heres my non emotional reply. I say castrate the little spoiled bastard so he cant breed more little spoiled brats. Throw the parents in jail for lack of supervision, or child abuse, since he's a minor under their 'control' and are guilty of inflicting this terrible desease of "affluenza" on him........ I almost gagged writing that.

Oh, and drag the judge out and knee cap him. Tho, I dont condone violence Angel

I'd be willing to bet the judges off-shore bank account grew substantially during that trial, or that of some family member.

Seeee, nothing emotional here Beat_stick Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
14-12-2013, 08:34 AM
So his parents have failed to instill in him an understanding of the consequences of his actions.

So now in light of the most consequential actions of his life thus far, we're going to continue this trend by not holding him responsible?

We all know that if he was a black kid and had just ran over 4 white people in a drunken stupor, he'd be in jail for 20 years in a heartbeat. If the kid isn't responsible, then the parents are. If they want to use that defense, then put the parent's in jail as accessories to manslaughter or negligent homicide. Let's see how much they really want to let him off the hook, let's see if they'll serve his time for him. But nope, they're going to spend a shitload of money on a shrink willing to make shit up on their behalf and a posh rehab program.

I hope that the victims and their families sue the shit out of the kid and his parents in a civil wrongful death suit. Bleed them dry of their money so they don't spread their 'affluenza' to any more children.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-12-2013, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 08:50 AM by Colourcraze.)
I didn't read the whole thread, I just came here to say "GARBAGE! what a piece of shit lame fucking excuse for being an irresponsible ass-wipe with no fucking sense!"

And now I'll actually read what's up. Those were just my first impressions.

Big Grin

EDIT: I now feel that after reading through the thread, my statement above can apply equally, if not more so, to the parents of this "afflicted" child.
14-12-2013, 09:27 AM
In the wikipedia article says that the rehab will cost $450K a year for 10 years, that's probably a good sentence for the parents. Not the kid though, he should go to prison.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]