Affluenza?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 01:08 PM
RE: Affluenza?
In response to what do I think an appropriate punishment is, I would say that if you are not inclined to stick him in Juvey until he is 21 then he needs more than just rehab and probation. I'm thinking 13,000 hours of community service. That works out to 25 hours a week for his 10 year sentence. Good luck having time to act stupid with that. Violation of this order would be the same as violating parole.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
14-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Wow, this thread went down the shitter quick. Give me the kid for a year and I'll show him "rehab" Wink . This piece of shit family would'nt sleep well for one night if I had my way and it might be said that they're lucky this didnt happen to me or mine.

No points need to be proven other than this punk and his family, need a life lesson... its just that simple.
14-12-2013, 01:11 PM
(14-12-2013 12:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 12:42 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Ahh, now you are making the speculation that rehab doesn't work! Aren't you just FULL of scientific knowledge. Darn that research that shows that it does work!

My asinine logic? You have me rolling in laughter! You say that since we can't provide rehab for everyone, we shouldn't provide it for anyone. Talk about asinine.

And then you try to make a correlation that has no correlation. Running over people when drunk =/= raping and murdering.

Ask better questions, and I'll be happy to answer.

I am saying that it is unjust that a rich kid gets an option to go to rehab but poor people don't.
An why do they don't correlate? It's a crime committed because of "disorder " brought on by previous life experiences.
They correlate perfectly, because it's not the question of what type of crime did one commit , but did he commit it because he doesn't know any better.
The murderer and the rapist could get better in rehab too, right?
So why send him to prison?

So, again , would you be willing to send a murderer of your family to rehab?

I'll answer your question even though they are not correlated at all. The kid didn't knowingly kill those individuals. If my family were the victims, I think I wouldn't mind rehab. If that individual went through rehab, he'd be much easier for me to get to than someone that was behind bars. Then, if I needed to, I could enact some 'personal justice' on him. Being thrown in jail just doesn't seem like a satisfying punishment...

**If I don't reply, this post has been flagged by the NSA and the SWAT team is at my door for making threats**
=)
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
14-12-2013, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 01:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-12-2013 01:05 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 12:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  .24 BAC at 16. Very impressive. Don't think Girly got to those levels until my mid-20's. Ain't no way that kid's gonna stay out of trouble for 10 years. He's gonna inevitably violate his probation and end up in jail anyway. And by invoking that defense, the only question to be resolved in a civil suit against the parents is the amount of the settlement. It may actually be the best outcome for the families of the victims. They're gonna eventually get justice when the kid violates his probation and they get to bankrupt the negligent parents.

Look at it from the other angle. Since he was a minor, had he been sentenced to jail, he would have been eligible for parole in a couple of years, and then would have likely screwed up again and gotten back in jail. Recidivism rates are much lower with rehab than they are with jail time.

Yup. That 20 year sentence could've been as little as 2. But I doubt that rehab's gonna make any difference. Ain't like he's gonna be in rehab for 10 years. He'll be in rehab for 3 months, come out and probably immediately violate his probation 'cause he'll need a drink by then.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-12-2013, 01:13 PM
(14-12-2013 01:05 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 12:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  .24 BAC at 16. Very impressive. Don't think Girly got to those levels until my mid-20's. Ain't no way that kid's gonna stay out of trouble for 10 years. He's gonna inevitably violate his probation and end up in jail anyway. And by invoking that defense, the only question to be resolved in a civil suit against the parents is the amount of the settlement. It may actually be the best outcome for the families of the victims. They're gonna eventually get justice when the kid violates his probation and they get to bankrupt the negligent parents.

Look at it from the other angle. Since he was a minor, had he been sentenced to jail, he would have been eligible for parole in a couple of years, and then would have likely screwed up again and gotten back in jail. Recidivism rates are much lower with rehab than they are with jail time.

I am just disgruntled at people that say he needs to go to fail to 'get whats coming to him.' Would that make those dead people come back? Would that make you or I [b]have a better life, knowing that this 16 year old got raped and beaten in prison?[/b]

YES !!!
14-12-2013, 01:14 PM
(14-12-2013 12:57 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...
I was just hoping that there would be more logically minded dialogue here.

Good luck with that.

But hey! Atheists have emotions too. Or so I'm told.

For your amusement, see linked, my earlier attempts at similar demonic advocation:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...o-What-Now
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-waning

14-12-2013, 01:17 PM
(14-12-2013 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 01:05 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Look at it from the other angle. Since he was a minor, had he been sentenced to jail, he would have been eligible for parole in a couple of years, and then would have likely screwed up again and gotten back in jail. Recidivism rates are much lower with rehab than they are with jail time.

Yup. That 20 year sentence could've been as little as 2. But I doubt that rehab's gonna make any difference. Ain't like he's gonna be in rehab for 10 years. He'll be in rehab for 3 months, come out and probably immediately violate his probation 'cause he'll need a drink by then.

Really the 4 deaths is the only reason I think this punishment is a joke. If the kid had just destroyed a building or something it'd be fine but 4 people died because of his actions. That requires more of a condemnation of his actions than he received. But Girly is probably right unless the Parents pay off his PO.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-12-2013, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 01:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-12-2013 01:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yup. That 20 year sentence could've been as little as 2. But I doubt that rehab's gonna make any difference. Ain't like he's gonna be in rehab for 10 years. He'll be in rehab for 3 months, come out and probably immediately violate his probation 'cause he'll need a drink by then.

Really the 4 deaths is the only reason I think this punishment is a joke. If the kid had just destroyed a building or something it'd be fine but 4 people died because of his actions. That requires more of a condemnation of his actions than he received. But Girly is probably right unless the Parents pay off his PO.

I doubt they're gonna have any money or assets left once the civil suits are settled.

Unlike the idiot who let the rapist off 'cause the teenager was older than her years (the Randall Patrick McMurphy "she was 15 going on 30" defense), I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this judge's, well judgment. It very well could be carefully considered.

14-12-2013, 01:41 PM
He would not have been eligible for parole in a couple years. He would have been released when he became an adult. Texas law since he wasn't tried as an adult.

And yeah, money does come into play here. The parents are sending him to a $450,000.00 a year rehab center. How many kids have parents that can afford that?

What should have been done with him is a tough one. But, how would you feel if four members of your family and/or friends were killed by a drunk driver regardless of age? Had he been an adult, there is pretty much no question he would be serving a nice long prison sentence.

This kid got and is getting special treatment because of the financial status of his family.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-12-2013, 01:51 PM
(14-12-2013 01:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He would not have been eligible for parole in a couple years. He would have been released when he became an adult. Texas law since he wasn't tried as an adult.

Yup. This way the State's got tabs on him for 10 years instead of 2.

(14-12-2013 01:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And yeah, money does come into play here. The parents are sending him to a $450,000.00 a year rehab center. How many kids have parents that can afford that?

Never heard of rehab programs longer than 3 months (at least for all the people I've known who've gone through it). I guess there are but they're not typical.

(14-12-2013 01:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What should have been done with him is a tough one. But, how would you feel if four members of your family and/or friends were killed by a drunk driver regardless of age? Had he been an adult, there is pretty much no question he would be serving a nice long prison sentence.

This kid got and is getting special treatment because of the financial status of his family.

There's no doubt about that. But by invoking that defense the parents effectively admitted negligence and they're gonna lose the civil suits which are sure to come. The victims' families will end up with some financial compensation at least. And I'd bet money that kid ends up in jail anyway for probation violations.