Affordable Care Act... A quick question.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Affordable Care Act... A quick question.
I am lucky that I am a resident of the UK and that I pay taxes that include the cost of my healthcare. I can receive all sorts of medical help on the NHS and whilst for some treatments there is a waiting list, or a small fee if you are employed. I am not left with a huge debt at the end of it.

Your system interests (and shocks) me and I have heard a few things about obamacare that I would like to ask about.

I am under the presumption that given the title of the act (affordable care) it was promised that this would reduce peoples medical insurance? As I have been browsing the net I have come across peoples opinions that their premiums have actually increased. I have not heard about this increase from any mainstream source, but just in general. I was wondering if this is the case for the majority of people here? Have your premiums gone up? Down? Stayed the same?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 11:43 AM
RE: Affordable Care Act... A quick question.
(04-11-2014 11:34 AM)bemore Wrote:  I am lucky that I am a resident of the UK and that I pay taxes that include the cost of my healthcare. I can receive all sorts of medical help on the NHS and whilst for some treatments there is a waiting list, or a small fee if you are employed. I am not left with a huge debt at the end of it.

Your system interests (and shocks) me and I have heard a few things about obamacare that I would like to ask about.

I am under the presumption that given the title of the act (affordable care) it was promised that this would reduce peoples medical insurance? As I have been browsing the net I have come across peoples opinions that their premiums have actually increased. I have not heard about this increase from any mainstream source, but just in general. I was wondering if this is the case for the majority of people here? Have your premiums gone up? Down? Stayed the same?

Overall the costs went down but as with an y change to a clunky system some outliers exist.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
(04-11-2014 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 11:34 AM)bemore Wrote:  I am lucky that I am a resident of the UK and that I pay taxes that include the cost of my healthcare. I can receive all sorts of medical help on the NHS and whilst for some treatments there is a waiting list, or a small fee if you are employed. I am not left with a huge debt at the end of it.

Overall the costs went down but as with an y change to a clunky system some outliers exist.

Can I ask what you base that on please?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-11-2014, 12:20 PM
(04-11-2014 12:09 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Overall the costs went down but as with an y change to a clunky system some outliers exist.

Can I ask what you base that on please?

I have kept up on the issue since it was first announced 5+ years ago. Tons of data points, I could link some of them for you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
04-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Cheers for the links Rev.

I have googled a few search terms like "My medical premium has gone down" to which brought up a lot of different websites who were all talking about Obamacare and how the prices have gone up, some do state though that their coverage has improved.

If I include the word "Obamacare" into the above search term I get many results that state the price has come down.

I have also today seen this link on Facebook....

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtm...ID=1984728

My limited conclusion of reading the link is it is just about 50/50 at the moment across a range of reasons, yet like you mentioned in a previous comment, it is still in its early days and will have some outliers.

Whats your summary of the above link Rev? I don't know who they are (Bankrate) nor does it actually say how many people were asked and what demographics were used (maybe it does in the download, I haven't checked)

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
There are plenty of instances where people get angry and blame the system, because they work for a business smaller or part time and they're now being dropped from he insurance they received from work... and those rates tend to be cheaper than anything they were able to obtain on their own.

I'm in that group but I'm not too salty about it, it's something I didn't anticipate a month ago but I will just have to see with it. In a way I feel its a bonus since I'll have no resolve to ever leave my job whenever I do since i wont have to worry about health coverage being implemented by employment. That whole system I think is the most screwed up, if they're going to make people need to buy insurance from a company, why even have the work-place connection to begin with anymore.

There is also instances of simply, what a person had as coverage now is more costly because of that specific coverage's benefits. Or it doesn't exist exactly the same way and there's different supplemental plans now.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-11-2014, 01:05 PM
People in the US tend to be too proud to want to pay up into a system which covers everyone. We don't want free healthcare, we want healthcare we pay for, even if it breaks everyone's bank.

It's sad, really. And, we still pay up into a healthcare system whether people like it or not because of how insurance works.