Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Africa
Heading to South Africa & Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) in a few weeks. First few days in Johannesburg, then to Cape Town for a few, on to Kruger National Park for 6 days - staying at a lodge in the park - over to Victoria Falls for 3 days then back to Johannesburg. Anyone been lately to any of my stops and have some suggestions on what not to miss....any other travel tips or recommendations for S Africa? ? Thanks for your response.
Not looking forward to 22 hours of flight time to get there though!

Playing chess with pigeons......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JakSiemasz's post
23-06-2017, 12:19 PM
RE: Africa
Cool! I'm so jealous.

Message Morondog; he's in South Africa and can probably give you some good tips. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
23-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Light plane flight over Victoria Falls. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-06-2017, 12:41 PM
I did a motorcycle trip of the Garden Route in SA back in 2012 with this guide, Gavin Green. Well worth it, if you're into motorcycling.

Also did a white shark cage dive with these guys on the same trip.

If you do nothing else ever in your life, go diving with white sharks. But keeps your fingers/toes/other appendages in the cage, please.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
24-06-2017, 08:32 AM
(23-06-2017 12:38 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Light plane flight over Victoria Falls. Thumbsup

Thanks, Syz....didn't know about the small plane flights....we have the option to take a helicopter flight over the falls and may do that.

25-06-2017, 03:58 AM
Joburg has lots of interesting things to do. Apartheid museum is well worth a visit if you want an interesting look at the last 100-odd years of SA history. There are some other interesting museums too, if museums are your thing - Origins museum and Maropeng where you can see displays of the fossils from the Cradle of Humankind including the Homo Naledi fossils. You can try township tours... otherwise there's lots of good food places, markets, other kinds of things you can do around. Cape Town - the Mountain is definitely a good thing to see. Also Robben Island. Good food and nice vibe on the waterfront. If you feel like hiring a car (are you travelling with friends?) then a very nice thing to do is to drive around the Cape Winelands and go wine-tasting. Hope you like wine 'cos it's cheap, plentiful and delicious throughout SA.

Zimbabwe - two things that are worth doing are Victoria Falls and Great Zimbabwe ruins. Great Zimbabwe is an abandoned, ruined city with a hilltop fort and religious complex. Quite eerie to visit. I've got some friends up in Zim who can probably recommend you some other interesting things to do up there. Kariba dam is lovely, as well as there are some very wild game reserves around.

Kruger - I've only been there once, but it's a fantastic experience so I think you'll enjoy it. You may be able to organise yourself a walking tour at some point - it's something well worth doing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Africa
Take pics and keep us updated on your adventures.
26-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Only ever been to Ghana, (which is West Africa I think), but depending on where you go:

Make sure you've been sorted out with relevant injections before you go, [I had to have yellow fever jabs before I went Ghana], Is Malaria is rife there get some medication for that as well. Be super careful with your bags/carrying stuff about with you. Otherwise stay safe and have a great time Smile

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?" - Morty
09-07-2017, 12:38 PM
(25-06-2017 03:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  Joburg has lots of interesting things to do. Apartheid museum is well worth a visit if you want an interesting look at the last 100-odd years of SA history. There are some other interesting museums too, if museums are your thing - Origins museum and Maropeng where you can see displays of the fossils from the Cradle of Humankind including the Homo Naledi fossils. You can try township tours... otherwise there's lots of good food places, markets, other kinds of things you can do around. Cape Town - the Mountain is definitely a good thing to see. Also Robben Island. Good food and nice vibe on the waterfront. If you feel like hiring a car (are you travelling with friends?) then a very nice thing to do is to drive around the Cape Winelands and go wine-tasting. Hope you like wine 'cos it's cheap, plentiful and delicious throughout SA.

Zimbabwe - two things that are worth doing are Victoria Falls and Great Zimbabwe ruins. Great Zimbabwe is an abandoned, ruined city with a hilltop fort and religious complex. Quite eerie to visit. I've got some friends up in Zim who can probably recommend you some other interesting things to do up there. Kariba dam is lovely, as well as there are some very wild game reserves around.

Kruger - I've only been there once, but it's a fantastic experience so I think you'll enjoy it. You may be able to organise yourself a walking tour at some point - it's something well worth doing.
Thanks for the response.....sorry for late reply but been trying to get ready....leaving this evening (09-07) at 20:00...be in JHB Tuesday morning (11-07) ...we are staying one night in Franschhoek to hit the wineries as I DO like wine...Really enjoy museums so glad to hear about that aspect of SA.....hadn't heard about the ruins in Great Zimbabwe but I'm sure I'll put that on the list....we are actually traveling with a small tour group - 14 folks - led by a guy who grew up in SA and we have some set plans but also free time.
While at Kruger the plans are to drive out to observe early and late then walk about with some local guides during the day. Hopefully get some good pics. Thanks again, dog. I'll post how the trip went...Be back home 25-07.