African/African americans/African canadians and Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
African/African americans/African canadians and Christianity
I've been sitting on this thought for awhile, and i ran it by my skeptic father to make sure i'm not crazy.
So heres my thoughts on black people being christian.
Just because i don't know if this is allowed on the forums when otherwise i would just speak the word.. i'll just say 'the n-word'
Does it make sense that anyone who isn't black isn't "allowed" to say the n-word? But black people can? The age of slaves and slave owners has long passed, and the owners and slaves aren't even alive today(as far as i know) but the black people of today get upset if anyone who isn't black says it.
Isn't that racist toward us? As long as we don't say it in hate why does it matter? Really, if someone says it and you take offense, thats you giving the word power. I really don't think you should take offense unless it's said in hate.
Here's the theism part of my arguement where i get a little bit mad.
Black people take offense to a word that was used, a word that doesn't even apply yo them since i doubt they've ever been a slave, but they gladly adopt the religon of the race that took owner ship over their ancestors(spelling?).
They threw off the shackles of being a slave only to be shackled into a religon that dominates every aspect of their life, including their mind.
In my opinion, it's just ask disgusting as a woman in any religon (because of how religon treats women) but that's a whole diffrent topic.
Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Please i want feedback on my thought Smile Thanks for reading!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
RE: African/African americans/African canadians and Christianity
I agree that words only have the power they are given. But something you might not be taking into consideration is that you aren't the only one who gives a word power.

Saying nigger around black people will likely offend them. So you probably shouldn't say it unless you want to get into a fight. Honestly it would annoy me and I'm white, simply because I can't think of any genuine reason anyone white would be walking around casually saying nigger without having some douchebag attitude.

Why is it ok for black people to use the word nigger but not for everyone else? I don't get it either, but I do believe it has something to do with owning the word and changing it's meaning. I remember, I think Chris Rock, explaining it to someone once.

As for why black people can follow christianity... How does anyone?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Is "African Canadian" an official designation?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't know why people get offended when they call you the n-word but that maybe because I never being bullied racially unlike my other black friends. Or maybe I am just ignorant.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Hey, Mizzory.

I'm not trying to be a douche (that a pretty big whopper of a preface, I know), but the degree to which you don't get it is staggering.

White people don't get it. And they're not allowed to. Because they can't.

It's that simple.

To try and put that into perspective somehow, I'll try this. Men don't get birth. And we're not allowed to. Because we can't.

This isn't about white people and they're not allowed to try and make it about them.

I had a conversation about this with a Trinidadian friend of mine the other day and it was a wonderful conversation. But we spoke shorthand because we could. Because we got it. It was about us.

You don't actually have the right to get mad. Because it's not about you.

It's not racist towards you. That's about as feeble an argument as there is in the universe (making a 100% division between the argument and you yourself).

Again, I'm not saying this to be an asshole or to point a finger at you and suggest that you're not a good person. But there's a gravity to this that you're inadvertently trampling on. This is actually you getting off lightly.

I'm going to assume that you're white (it seems pretty implicit that you're at least not black). Please correct me if I am wrong. You may not realise it, but you have been the beneficiary of white privilege your entire life. It has entitled you to many things that you take for granted. It has also shielded you from the reality of what it means to be a black person. You simply cannot understand, even if you try. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the way it is.

You don't get to tell us what the word means and you don't get to tell us how we should react to it. You just don't.

Tempestt Bledsoe said something apt. To paraphrase, you have every right to say the word nigger and I have every right to be offended.

The legacy of colonialism and the Christianisation of Africa is complex and enduring. You don't get to just dismiss it by saying we happily accept the religion of the people who enslaved us. You especially don't have the right to explain to us what it means to be shackled.

You've never been called a nigger. You might not fully understand what I mean by that, but anyone who has been called a nigger does. And that's the point.

I want to be absolutely clear that I do not think you are a bad person in any way shape or form. I don't think that you are stupid or that your question is stupid. You, in my estimation, simply don't get it. There's no shame in that. I'm just trying to make it as plain as possible.

Please let me know if you feel I have offended you.

I extend much love to you, brother.

Hey, Lucradis.

You're exactly correct, my friend. You don't get it. And that's perfectly all right. In fact, I'm glad that you don't have to get it.

Hey, Erxomai.

Yeah. It is. I seriously dislike all of those hybrid terms, but that's another argument.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post
03-06-2012, 05:54 AM
As the whitest person in the world I will now give my enterpriation of how an 'African-American' would answer the question of why a white person can't use the 'n-word'.

Bitch please, when yo' people are enslaved for 400years then yo' white ass can use the word nigger! But 'til that day yo' can just shut the fuck up. Now where's my god damn watermelon bitch!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-06-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 06:21 AM by Mizzory.)
@Ghost One of my standards for judging people is if they think that people shouldn't be allowed to say nigger, that's restricting my freedom. Why can't we just have the meaning changed? Not offically, but personaly change the meaning yourself.

It's stupid to be offended by a single word alone, it should be the context in which the word is said.
Call me a complete asshole, but anyone who restricts my freedom in anyway gets on my nerves.

The only reason that people should intervene is if it causes physical harm to someone.
If you're too weak and get offended by a single word that's not even used in a sentence that slanders africans than you should do some serious thinking about why that word is offensive.

A word is a word, people give the word meaning. If i lived in... let's say germany and i said nigger without knowing what it means in english... it has no meaning what so ever.

Thats how i like to think about words, unless it's directed or used in a completely racist context WHILE BEING SERIOUS.

Thats why i love comedy, if someone who makes race jokes while not being serious such as some famous comidians we know, it's always funny even if it's directed at your race.

Racism shouldn't even get a bat of the eyelash. Once you get down to it, everyone is human and race is just where you happen to be from.
I laugh at serious racist. While i laugh in joy at funny racist jokes where the comidian is clearly not being serious.
Unless someone is getting phyically hurt or being the target of heavy racism in a comunity the promotes racism
it shouldn't matter and you should laugh at the racist bastards that take it seriously.
Racism to me, doesn't exist outside of people who take it seriously.
I laugh WITH funny jokes by people who arn't taking it seriously, laugh AT people who take it seriously( Specificly the racist )
And punch faces to people who cause physical harm and complete torment in every aspect of the victims life.

To all those that disagree... Gimmie kiss MWAH!

I forgot to mention a hilarious story XD I had a half african that has since moved to europe, we changed the meaning of the word nigger to "happy awesome fun"
After awhile i brought up an idea of while we were walking the halls of our high school to casually say "I'm so nigger today!"

Obviously i didn't want to say it, purely because i didn't want a fist to sneak up and bite the back of my head, but the reaction it got were hilarious. One person behind us said "can he do that?"

Then we skipped class and played pokemon outside. Because 17 year old kids play pokemon Smile

[Edit2] What i love about comedy is that nothing is off limits and that feeling you get when you're laughing with people of all races at racist jokes and that even white comidians can say nigger without getting beat up on their way out.

People like chris rock, louis ck and sarah silvermen. Also many many more. If that feeling was all the time and not just inside that one room at that one time, that'd be amazing.
03-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Hey, Earmuffs.

Uhhhhhh, what?

Hey, Mizzory.

I nowhere said that you can't say it. In fact, I specifically quoted someone who said you have every right to say it. What I said was that you do not get it, because you can't, because it isn't about you, that you don't have the right to make it about you and that you don't have the right to tell us what the word means or how we should use or react to it.

You do not understand racism. You can't. Because you never have and never will know what it means to be black and more importantly, because you never have and never will know what it means to not be white. That's not a fault, merely a fact. The issue is that you seem to think you understand it. And that's where you're running into trouble.

I say this to you with the greatest friendship. You are very far from understanding. You can dismiss that and assume you understand it, you can take it as some sort of insult, or, as I hope, you can see that it is insight and accept your limits so that you might allow room for further growth.

Matt
03-06-2012, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 08:01 AM by Mizzory.)
(03-06-2012 06:46 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Earmuffs.

Uhhhhhh, what?

Hey, Mizzory.

I nowhere said that you can't say it. In fact, I specifically quoted someone who said you have every right to say it. What I said was that you do not get it, because you can't, because it isn't about you, that you don't have the right to make it about you and that you don't have the right to tell us what the word means or how we should use or react to it.

You do not understand racism. You can't. Because you never have and never will know what it means to be black and more importantly, because you never have and never will know what it means to not be white. That's not a fault, merely a fact. The issue is that you seem to think you understand it. And that's where you're running into trouble.

I say this to you with the greatest friendship. You are very far from understanding. You can dismiss that and assume you understand it, you can take it as some sort of insult, or, as I hope, you can see that it is insight and accept your limits so that you might allow room for further growth.

Matt

Did you read my entire post?
I may not know exactly what it's like, but i'd like to assume it's like living in a homophobic town when your gay or living as an atheist in a largely religous town.
Please read the entire post again, i don't think my point got across as well as i would have hoped.

I don't know what it means to be black? I could say the same thing to you, do you know what it means to be white? It doesn't mean anything. It's just a skin colour and nothing more.

At what point did i say i understood it, at what point did i say you were my friend? Don't put words in my mouth.
03-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Hello, Mizzory.

Well, if you are unwilling to accept my friendship, then I suppose I have nothing left to say to you.

Matt